Keeping feet warm...

Leiah

FNG
I recently switched from 1000gram to a 400 gram insulated boot. My feet were overly warm and now they go numb. Suggestions on socks?

SlickStickSlinger

Lil-Rokslider
I put the hot hands toe warmers inside my boot. Not as uncomfortable as you may think. I've put many miles this way

Michael54

WKR
Merino wool socks with the thickness based on how much your feet sweat. Boot covers are real nice for sitting in a tree stand all day.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
It’s tough when you go from hiking to sitting still for hours. Try switching socks. If I have a long hike to my sitting spot, I’ll wear a lighter sock to keep my feet from sweating. I switch to a first lite zero cold weather sock once it’s time to sit still in super cold temps. Also, wear the right boots for the weather. I run an 800 G for 20 degrees and colder the adjust my socks accordingly.

keepriding

Lil-Rokslider
Perhaps a light cushion Smartwool PHD snowboard sock would help if you typically wear the med weight.
Otherwise I know Darn Tough makes a snowboard sock that has no cushion, which would be even lighter. They are pretty similar in fit to the smartwool PHD I would say.

Artic shields cost the same as a pair of expensive socks, buy them a little big and throw a hand warmer in them too. Keep your boots on and noise in the area down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For someone looking for warm boot covers for stand hunting what would you guys recommend? I'm having the same issues as I don't own any insulated boots. Don't want to shell out the 100-200 for an entry level insulated boot. Would rather get a boot cover and save up for some higher end boots.

Shane

Lil-Rokslider
Keep your core and legs warm with warm and wind-proof layers that don't bind and cut off circulation. Then wear good merino socks that aren't too tight inside boots that aren't too tight either. Make sure your boots have Gore-tex in them so they can breathe.

If your whole body is warm and you wear stuff that allows good circulation, your feet will stay warm.

Michael54

WKR
For someone looking for warm boot covers for stand hunting what would you guys recommend? I'm having the same issues as I don't own any insulated boots. Don't want to shell out the 100-200 for an entry level insulated boot. Would rather get a boot cover and save up for some higher end boots.
I use the arctic shields when i use them. Amazon has them for around $50

I recently switched from 1000gram to a 400 gram insulated boot. My feet were overly warm and now they go numb. Suggestions on socks?

I also had the same problem. What I have found is with the two sock system, such as the Kenetrek Ultimate Liner and Mid-weight sock, I simply remove the mid-weight sock and then place an air activated Heatmax body warmer over the top of my foot. They stay nice and warm. When it is time to hike, then I take out the warmer and put on the second sock and my feet are still warm and dry.

Do not go with thicker socks though since this may restrict circulation, which might be your problem in the first place.

OP
Leiah

Leiah

FNG
It’s tough when you go from hiking to sitting still for hours. Try switching socks. If I have a long hike to my sitting spot, I’ll wear a lighter sock to keep my feet from sweating. I switch to a first lite zero cold weather sock once it’s time to sit still in super cold temps. Also, wear the right boots for the weather. I run an 800 G for 20 degrees and colder the adjust my socks accordingly.
I haven't considered this. I may have to give that a try.

OP
Leiah

Leiah

FNG
I also had the same problem. What I have found is with the two sock system, such as the Kenetrek Ultimate Liner and Mid-weight sock, I simply remove the mid-weight sock and then place an air activated Heatmax body warmer over the top of my foot. They stay nice and warm. When it is time to hike, then I take out the warmer and put on the second sock and my feet are still warm and dry.

Do not go with thicker socks though since this may restrict circulation, which might be your problem in the first place.
I did habe too thick of socks the first round and circulation was definitely a problem. So I changed it up. Much better sexond time around, but definitely not great.

I try and wear the highest percent wool sock i can find. Sometime will use a liner sock or a thinner wool sock under the heavier sock. Also have used heat keeper socks over my wool socks and stayed pretty warm in my rubber boots. Have used wigwams,fox,fits,cabelas,darn tuff, danish endurance socks. Some are better quality then others. You get what you pay for. Some good wool sock can be had on amazon for cheap.