Keeping food fresh

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
Curious how people keep pepperoni, salami, and bacon from spoiling during backpack hunts. Thinking of doing 2 separate 4 day backpack hunts. Possibly just going back to the truck re-upping on food and heading back in for 4 more days. I was gonna start vaccum sealing my mtn house and adding a 1/4 cup of bacon to each meal but didn't know what steps to take to keep the bacon good. I also want to take hard cheese, pepperoni, and salami in for snacks but idk if there's a certain kind or you just freeze it and keep it in the middle of your pack or what. If there's a certain brand or cheese you like please share. I haven't ate a cliff bar since last year's hunt and don't plan on having one in the next few years. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't stress about any of those items spoiling in 4 days, I've ate well cooked bacon after 7 days in my pack and lived to tell the tale.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I eat pepperoni and summer sausage sticks individually wrapped like a Slim Jim that do the trick. Haven’t looked for salami, but I’m sure I’ll find something similar for that. Nothing special, but I got them at Smiths/Kroger.
I use Laughing Cow Red cheese wheels but on much shorter trips vs yours. Hillshire Farms has sealed hard cheeses that store for much longer after opening. Hard cheeses consistently store better outside the fridge vs softer varieties. Trust your nose and tastebuds.