Keeping fuel in the tank!

woods89

WKR
I was fortunate enough to do my first western big game hunt this fall. I went archery elk hunting in northern Colorado with a good friend of mine. We got close a few times but didn't kill an elk. Had a great time though and I am planning on going back in 2019.

Before I went I heard of all these people who said that your appetite will greatly decrease at altitude. I can attest that this is not true for everyone! I brought what I thought was plenty of food as I eat a lot. I found I had to eat almost constantly and still didn't keep hunger away. I didn't run out, but it was rather inconvenient to have to eat all the time.

As far as a food breakdown, my breakfasts were a mix of oatmeal or granola with instant milk or hashbrowns with dehydrated ham and gravy mix. Lunches and dinners were various dehydrated meats with ramen or instant mashed potatoes along with some dehydrated leftover casseroles,etc. Snacks were beef jerky, trail mix, and various assorted fruit leather. Also a few packs of Justin's almond butter with tortilla, which were awesome!

How do I up my calorie intake for next time? Ideally I would bring stuff that doesn't have me eating every hour! Do I need to look at some supplements? After talking trash about some of the supplement companies I might have to eat some crow! So be it if needs be. I am 5' 8'' and 150# and pretty lean. I have an active construction job and am used to eating at my breaktimes morning and afternoon. Do I need to break this habit?

Any help will be appreciated!

FlyGuy

WKR
I target 3000 cal/day for archery elk and that's worked well for me. ProBars, nuts, chocolate covered almonds, snickers bars, dried fruits, almond butter and tortillas, and a hot mountain house at night are my staples.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

KNPV PSD

Lil-Rokslider
Just a thought.....most of what you listed seem like fast burning carb heavy foods. Maybe try balancing with more healthy fats? Things like avocado, cheeses, salamis and sausages, etc. these tend to stick with you longer IME.

duchntr

WKR
Your meal load out looks fine, not sure how many calories it translates too but if its around 2-30000 its fine. Hunger happens especially when your meal variety is limited and you start thinking about burgers and beers lol. Do you get hunger pains if you skip a meal in your everyday life? Maybe try intermittent fasting if so. I agree loss of appetite is never a problem for me while hunting either, I do however plan out when I eat, as in I don't eat a bunch before a big climb as I will end up feeling weak the whole ascent.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
Thanks guys!

Yes, a lot of my stuff was fast burning carbs and that was probably part of the issue. I'll try to work with that some before I go next time.