Keeping it simple

It’s getting a bit ridiculous out there. Seeing guys with 2 spotting scope pockets, 2 hip pouches, 5 zippers, gps, bino harness, range finder pouch, water bottle holders, bladder hoses. knife stealths, bear spray and gun holster, trekking poles, full arrays of molle, cameras holders, weapon holders and then carrying a bow/rifle. Not to mention ridiculous stab setups, giant mover sights, 7 arrow quivers, and now picatinny rails on bows. What is happening..

Anyways I’m eliminating the bino harness this year, the pros have never outweighed the cons. Back to a simple backpack as well, wish I never sold my Kifaru Argali...best pack they ever made. Keep it simple stupid!

6e8f7d820913757a9dd03c436be6d513.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For front country hunts, if it doesn't fit in my timber cruising vest, it isn't being taken with hunting. I do stash a pack frame though. I also carry a bino harness though but rangefinder has it's own place on the vest.

Bird hunting same thing, all I need fits in a vest. Don't need no back pack to kill birds.

MPat70

FNG
My take:
People today think they can buy proficiency/success. Example, they buy a few guns and a pile of ammo and are now safe if the zombie hoard comes for them....only thing is they almost never shoot those guns and never achieved any level of proficiency with them.
I must admit I almost fell into this with the long range shooting aspect of the 6.5 creedmoor. Once I thought about it logically I didn't by one. Reason being, there is no area I hunt or shoot in that allows for more than a 300yd shot and that is very few. I got sucked in (almost) to the hype of how far you could shoot this accurately (with practice, scope & training). Anyway, I do respect all the $2k & above rifles and such but for the most of us, the basic hunting rifle and setup is perfect. But to each their own.

madcalfe

WKR
probably the dumest post ive read today....
i don't see the issues with bino harnesses. way better than them being on a string cutting into your neck.
and trekking poles, i wouldn't go on a sheep hunt without them and my knees are still good lol.
and water bladder hoses... pretty self explanatory..

zacattack

WKR
It’s getting a bit ridiculous out there. Seeing guys with 2 spotting scope pockets, 2 hip pouches, 5 zippers, gps, bino harness, range finder pouch, water bottle holders, bladder hoses. knife stealths, bear spray and gun holster, trekking poles, full arrays of molle, cameras holders, weapon holders and then carrying a bow/rifle. Not to mention ridiculous stab setups, giant mover sights, 7 arrow quivers, and now picatinny rails on bows. What is happening..

Anyways I’m eliminating the bino harness this year, the pros have never outweighed the cons. Back to a simple backpack as well, wish I never sold my Kifaru Argali...best pack they ever made. Keep it simple stupid!

This is the oddest “back in my day we hunted in red flannel” post I’ve ever read.

Antares

WKR
I completely agree with keeping it simple. I hunted for years with rubber boots, carharts, and surplus .303 Brit. I hate seeing people who think they need $5000 worth of stuff to get into hunting.

That said, I like my doodads now and you can pry my bino harness and my trekking poles out of my cold, dead hands.

woods89

WKR

It's called "packing your insecurities!"

Elk97

WKR
I think most of us fall into the trap of thinking if we had that new piece of gear it would make "something" better. I know I went through a couple of packs before I figured out what would really work best for me, and I do have an Inreach and phone with OnX. But I get what the OP is saying, there's no end to products these days that undoubtedly have a use and might be just what you're looking for so it's tempting to try something new and before you know it you've got a bunch of extra stuff to haul around. Lately I've been trying to cut down on what I carry in order to lose any extra weight so nothing new unless it replaces something worn out or lost or if it can do double duty.

woods89

WKR
This site cuts it teeth on the latest and greatest.....you might be preaching to the wrong crowd, eh?

_____
Not saying you're wrong, but.......

isn't there a big difference between having a streamlined set of highly curated quality gear and buying every cool gadget as it comes out?

This site is still a great resource for when a guy NEEDS something new.

archp625

WKR
I just do what I do and do not worry about others unless you are hunting with me. I do not want you to have so little gear that you check out of the hunt or want to borrow my binos to see game. I had a buddy that literally said he did not need binos to hunt SE Montana. I am so glad another buddy was like you are not getting in my truck unless you have a pack and binos.