Keeping it simple

rob86jeep

WKR
It’s getting a bit ridiculous out there. Seeing guys with 2 spotting scope pockets, 2 hip pouches, 5 zippers, gps, bino harness, range finder pouch, water bottle holders, bladder hoses. knife stealths, bear spray and gun holster, trekking poles, full arrays of molle, cameras holders, weapon holders and then carrying a bow/rifle. Not to mention ridiculous stab setups, giant mover sights, 7 arrow quivers, and now picatinny rails on bows. What is happening..

Anyways I’m eliminating the bino harness this year, the pros have never outweighed the cons. Back to a simple backpack as well, wish I never sold my Kifaru Argali...best pack they ever made. Keep it simple stupid!

6e8f7d820913757a9dd03c436be6d513.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sounds like you have a problem with people having their gear organized. Maybe you like to shove all your gear in a single big bag (bino's, pistol, water bottle, bear spray, etc.) but for most people it makes way more sense to have things readily accessible when needed.

It's also strange to state that you think it's wrong for people do carry their gear a certain way when you have no idea how they're hunting. Hanging your bino's around your neck may work well for walking to a stand or road hunting, but I bet it would be miserable when hiking back in for miles and hunting all day/multiple days...

Tailoring a Kifaru pack to meet your personal needs is nearly limitless. Just because you have YOUR WAY doesn't automatically makes everyone else's way wrong. I like that I can add/remove pouches and other items in seconds.

I try not to go overboard. But I'd generally rather be the guy that carries a little extra than the guy that thinks he needs nothing and then has to borrow his buddies stuff all day in the field.

Sorry dude, trekking poles rock while carrying a load. Especially as you get older and the knees aren't 25 any longer.

Some people never actually hunt/kill anything in terrain they can benefit from using trekking poles. OP sounds like that type of person. You don’t need anything when you can just leave it all organized in your pickup.

Jakerex

WKR
I wear an orange vest when rifle hunting and the binos stay secure under there. Archery, I just keep the zipper down a bit and the binos inside my jacket.

I went through this a while back and have been trying to keep things to the minimum when I hunt but it’s tough because I’m always trying to be prepared for anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since when has asking a question implied "caring"?

To the original post........what on earth would someone use a picatinny rail for on a bow?
The latest generation of bows from Mathews, Hoyt, ect... use a pic type rail machined into the back of the riser to mount the rest rather than using the berger hole. A new standard.

dtrkyman

WKR
The new hoyt has a picatinny rail for the sight, eliminates bulk and puts the weight of the sight in the center of the bow, it is an excellent idea!!!

As far as integrated rests it take the ability to torque tune away so even though they are solid an simple I prefer a standard mount.

As for the OP, different strokes, I do sometimes wonder how some guys afford all their gear? Maxed out CC maybe?

When I first started hunting, I had very little money and quite a bit of time. I was self-taught for the most part, and read every book and magazine I could get my hands on. I would spend hours and hours working on a "survival kit" to meet every eventuality I read about in the woods. I never once opened that kit on a hunt or hike. I hunted in jeans and flannels and rubber boots with a military surplus pack that didn't fit me well.

As I got older, I had more money and less time, but also more experience. I went from lugging around about a 25 pound day pack to a bino harness and a few things in the cargo pocket of my pants.

I'm a self professed gear geek (Years ago, we used the term gear queer for guys that bought the latest and greatest and never used it, but that's not PC any longer). I enjoy figuring out what the "best" answer is for any situation. I don't get as many days afield as some, but a lot more than others, so I like to daydream about the next adventure. Sometimes that means convincing myself I need another piece of gear. That gives me the old dopamine rush for a moment. I imagine others may be in the same boat.

Sounds like some who care about how much others care are getting their feelings hurt by the possible negative outlook of the carer. My 8th grade English teacher is rolling over in her grave...

I hunt out of a packed in base camp in very high very rough country where the weather can and often does go from t shirt to blizzard in 15 minutes. Theres often no water on the ridges. So some would consider my pack overly heavy at 40 lbs with a rifle, but I just carry the bare necessities to survive aforementioned weather, enough water to go 8-10 miles and get back to camp, lunch and a little extra food, and enough survival gear to tough out a night in the weeds in the snow or rain. It’s a lot of gear and more than I would carry in the summer.

Every time i stop for a breath my binos are glued to my face, so a harness with pouch is a must to keep them handy. Back in the day i just carried them around my neck and wondered why my neck hurt so much. I have a couple pouches on my pack belt with rangefinder, foot care stuff, and other little things i don’t wanna dig through my pack for. I only carry one trekking pole but they are the bomb in steep country and worth ten times their weight on gold.

All that being said I get the OP’s comment and I think the pic is funny. I was running my dogs one day in a nearby mountain valley and I saw a guy who had walked through the Orvis store and grabbed one of everything. He had every piece of fly fishing gear known to man hanging from his vest. He had obviously been to fly fishing school and handled his rod Ok, although with a certain stiffness and unfamiliarity. The hilarious thing: he was flogging the shit out of a bathtub sized puddle in a spring snowmelt rivulet. There were not then, and never had been, or would be for all of time any fish in that puddle... unless he had brought some in his LL Bean lunch tote and dumped them in there. I considered informing him of this fact, but realized my opinion would not be welcomed.

Let’s not forget that gear shopping is what keeps half of us sane during the off season.

Of all the things to eliminate, the binocular harness?

I would rather leave my weapon than have binoculars bounce off my chest again.

87TT

WKR
I take what I need to make my hunt enjoyable and as safe as possible and give a crap what anyone thinks.