Keeping it simple

KHNC

WKR
I completely agree with keeping it simple. I hunted for years with rubber boots, carharts, and surplus .303 Brit. I hate seeing people who think they need $5000 worth of stuff to get into hunting.

That said, I like my doodads now and you can pry my bino harness and my trekking poles out of my cold, dead hands.
Grow up! Great gear makes for better hunts and a better experience. Only people who say this isnt the case are the people who dont own great gear.

Fatcamp

WKR
Ya, kind of tired of carrying a bunch of crap during archery. I never kill anything so might as well carry some water and binoculars and call it good.

My wife can carry my pack to me if needed.

I noticed in a Rokslide video last night that Robby had his binoculars shoved into his vest. If it's good enough for the legend..........

Kuiu Stalker has my interest as well.

KurtR

WKR
bino harness is one of or not the most used piece of gear i have from scouting all year to hunting. i even have it in the lay out blind waterfowl hunting to see where birds are going or see alot of deer while out

Fatcamp

WKR
Who am I kidding? September 1st I'll head out with a 40# daypack like everybody else. 😁

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
I know that this thread has turned into a bash session but I have always had a question about those bino harnesses. I'm not trying to stir the pot and am actually curious. Like most of you, we use our binos more than any other gear. In our group we either use the crooked horn bino harness or the Rick Young bino harness. Watching hunting shows and reading this forum it seems like a lot of guys wear that big ol' pouch setup. I've personally never seen another hunter use one of the bino pouch style harnesses and was wondering what the draw or advantage is? Without ever using one, they look bulky, heavy, cumbersome and hot sitting on your chest. I've read that some guys carry all kinds of stuff in them too like pistols, range finders, etc. It also appears that it would be a pain in the fanny to open up and pull out and stuff back inside a bunch of times a day. We do a lot of brush busting and get quite a bit of weather up here too. It seems like my biggest issue with binos is when it's super cold and the rear lense fogging when I put it up to my warm head. I am seriously curious and please don't take this question the wrong way, maybe enlighten me!

87TT

WKR
I have one and my range finder pouch is on one side and the iInreach on the other. I never like that Crooked horn strechy thing. Binos bounced around all over. The bino pouch and harness keeps it snug to my chest as well as keeps dirt and water off my binos. Just like the Crooked Horn was better than the neck strap, the harness is way better than either. The tethers on the binos let you take them off the pouch easy.. No way I'm going back to the old Crooked Horn. I think I threw it away. Oh yeah, I can take out and replace my binos with one hand without looking.

I don't use a bino harness or gaiters...I don't NEED them.
I like instant access to my binocs...take a step, glass, take a step, glass and get by fine with
binocs hanging off my neck.

I use rain pants instead of gaiters when I need them.

I have fun and success, which is all that really matters....
if using a bino harness and/or gaiters contributes to your fun and success, great.

Buy a pair of $2500 binos and you may want a pouch.
I have a marsupial harness my binos go in out 1 handed.
I have a wind checker and a spudz lens cloth tethered. I carry an ear bud, trail cam card reader. Elk reeds and and pouch of salt stick tabs.
It also carries a speed reload in muzzleloader season.
And a little blue case I clip on with earplugs.

Rob5589

WKR
I use a minimalist bino harness with a rf pouch on the side. I've use the Crooked Horn when they came out; the binos bounced around too much and the elastic was always stretching. I have a hard time believing that Rick Young harness with it's small cords pulling on your traps/neck all day is comfortable.

mproberts

WKR
I like instant access to my binocs...take a step, glass, take a step, glass

Honestly I feel like this is what separates a lot of bino harnesses imo. I use the marsupial gear harness now where you can fold the front lid down and it stays put with magnets. So when you are in a situation where you need instant one handed access you can have it, they go in and out effortlessly... but if you need to protect your optics from weather, dirt, etc.. you have the option easily available. I honestly couldn't imagine going back to a zip or clip style harness, much less a crooked horn or neck string setup. A good harness is an amazing piece of gear.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I must be "Ultra lite" because my hunting pack weighs 25#.
I don't even notice my pack on my back when I'm hunting.......probably because it only weighs 15lbs and most of that is water.

I hate bino harnesses or much of anything else against my chest. My bino's go under my right arm with my bugle tube. The bugle tube gets used more than the bino's.

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
My take:
People today think they can buy proficiency/success.
People today? "Today"? You know that the Romans wrote scrolls bitching about this stuff right? Have you seen the massive codpieces built into medieval suits of armor so heavy the rich duke couldn't even walk?
Nothing new here folks. Humans have always tried to fix problems with more gear.

I'll bet some caveman with a pointed stick bitched about the first caveman to use an atlatl by saying,"Geez, cavemen today think they can just invented a stick flinger instead of getting
proficiency with regular stick" 😉