keeping legs warm. what do I need?

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
So I'm finishing up my clothing pack list for my upcoming Wyoming mule deer hunt in mid October, but one thing I'm confused on is if I need extra layers for my legs. Can anyone comment on the weather conditions during this time of year? For reference, I'm bringing a 150 wt merino bottom, a 230 merino bottom (if it's colder/sleeping), and Kings Camo Preacher pant. I have plenty of puffy's for my core, but always just wore heavy bibs in my WI deer stand which I'm obviously not bringing. Do I spend the money on puffy pants knowing I may not need them in the future or could I get away with a puffy blanket or wrapping one of my extra puffs around my legs during glassing? I'm trying not to order too much stuff since this is my first western trip, so I wanted to do it first to see what I need in the future but still want to be comfortable for this hunt. We are bringing a camper, so weight is not an issue.

A lot of heat can be lost around your ankles. Moisture from rain or snow can also get let in there. I’d recommend a good pair of Goretex gaiters in addition to your good Goretex boots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PredatorX

WKR
One thing to consider is your sleeping bag rating. If you have a 20 or 30 degree bag then I think it would make sense to get some puffy pants. This way you could wear them in your bag and effectively lower the temperature your bag is good for.

Glassing on up high they will certainly help keep you warm.

You could see temps down to zero or even below that.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

OP
Deli

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of heat can be lost around your ankles. Moisture from rain or snow can also get let in there. I’d recommend a good pair of Goretex gaiters in addition to your good Goretex boots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Forgot to mention that I'll be bringing some OR gaiters and have uninsolated gtx hiking boots with plenty of different weight merino socks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk