Keeping Mice Out Of Your Blind

Opah

WKR
OK here's my two cents, when building mix a combination of linseed oil, fungicide,
and insecticide, Treat the outside and inside of the floor panels of your blind.
Use liquid nails to seam the panels together, this will also help make it water tight.
The build will be the most important in longevity and mouse proofing it.
If the weather is conducive I would grow peppermint around the blind when it will grow, to establish it as a natural smell in the off season.

Food will be a big attractant - especially with kids dropping cookie crumbs. A nice memory i have from hunting as a kid is sitting in the snow, overlooking a hay field, having a mouse go into my jacket pocket and come out with a piece of cookie - I crumbled one up for him/it and we sat there eating cookies waiting for deer that never showed.

As for the carpet - why not only have it in there for the season - roll it up after you're done hunting for the year, put in a garbage bag and hang in your shed/barn? Be good if there is a leak or if the rug got wet and moldy too.
This one made me LOL. If you can adjust your thinking to succumb to natures charms rather than fighting them you’ll be a happier man. I have never ever won a fight with Mother Nature. That being said, concrete floor, rubber stall mat, no food. Invest in a weathertight door. Use sealant or construction adhesive for everything within 2 feet of the ground. Any way to keep a cat? Course then you’ll have cats.

I don’t know about mice but I know if u hand some ear tags for cattle inside. The keep the bugs out

Install Hardware Cloth around all the potential entry points. You can have it overlap the windows and doors. I also used foam sealer around everything before I put the hardware cloth down. Mice in South Texas are beyond belief in numbers.

WCB

WKR
you can get pretty inexpensive actual windows that seal completely tight ($50-$60) a piece that slide up or horizontally. If you want to do it right buy actual windows and frame them in properly. If you frame the door decent enough you can make that sealed well enough also. Make sure you have a way to plug the stove pipe and the stove jack area as that to me would be the weak point that most wouldn't think about. Keep stacked wood away from the blind and don't keep any in the blind.

Also, remove any pads or padded chairs...basically leave nothing in the blind for them to get into.

We have multiple permanent stands here in MN and have zero issues with mice. But we use actual windows, pay attention to the door construction really well and give them zero reasons to be in there.

Lots of good suggestions already given, but another tip is to not put poison mouse baits and bait stations inside the blind to get rid of the mice. The bait is an attractant and can actually increase the number of mice that "discover" your blind. I have had better luck placing them outside blinds and campers in obvious nearby mouse hangouts (woodpiles, edges of buildings, under large objects, etc.).

In regard to "natural" repellants like Fresh Cab, I have had mice make a nest literally on top of a packet of Fresh Cab that was placed under the hood of my tractor over the winter. I would consider that a fail.

I have used all of the internet tricks to keep mice out of camper - Irish Spring soap, peppermint oil, plug in sonic rodent repellants, mothballs, various traps and poisons - and the only real solution is to find the hole they are getting in through and seal it up. It's sometimes a constant and frustrating battle.

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
This is what I use in my box blinds in Michigan. I buy the rat trap size box, just make sure you buy the sticks and not the pellets. They tend to clean out the pellets and haul it to another site. They have to eat the sticks to remove it as they are wired in which eliminates the problem quickly. I also have them in my attic, yard, shed, etc...

Attachments

• B900C0FF-1524-4674-AD9A-FB134AC2E1EF.jpeg
    B900C0FF-1524-4674-AD9A-FB134AC2E1EF.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 5

maverick

Lil-Rokslider
Put one of these OUTSIDE your blind. I've used bucket traps for years outside of tents and camp trailers. My record is 17 mice in 1 night.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk