Keeping Mice Out Of Your Blind

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
I own some vacant property here in CO that we deer hunt every year. I store my boat and camper on the property and always have issues with mice getting into anywhere they can. I use peppermint and products like Cab Fresh and they seem to do a decent job of deterring mice. I want to build a permanent hunting blind now that my kids are a little older and interested in actually sitting still for more than 10 minutes. This blind will be insulated and have a small wood burner in it for long sits in cold weather. I want to carpet the floor and shooting rest to reduce noise. My fear is no matter how tight I make this blind mice are still going to find their way in it seems. I don't want to use any odor deterrents as I wouldn't want the entire blind and everyone in it smelling like a peppermint tea bag. Any advice from guys who have nice permanent blinds on how to keep the little critters out? I would think the mice would devour the carpet for nesting and within a year or two the place would smell like rat piss.

Voyageur

WKR
you are correct in your worries that if they get in they will make a mess of things. However, I would think something as small as a deer blind could be constructed tight enough to be mouse proof. It would require extra care, but I think it could be done. Just my opinion.

KJStechly

Lil-Rokslider
I store my boat in an outbuilding and I’ve been putting cedar balls in a few of the compartments. Haven’t even found a dropping let alone a mouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
Food will be a big attractant - especially with kids dropping cookie crumbs. A nice memory i have from hunting as a kid is sitting in the snow, overlooking a hay field, having a mouse go into my jacket pocket and come out with a piece of cookie - I crumbled one up for him/it and we sat there eating cookies waiting for deer that never showed.

As for the carpet - why not only have it in there for the season - roll it up after you're done hunting for the year, put in a garbage bag and hang in your shed/barn? Be good if there is a leak or if the rug got wet and moldy too.

Htm84

WKR
Ground level? Or elevated? If the latter you can try wrapping some sheet metal around the post.

OP
strousek

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
I would use a stall mat for the flooring. Much quieter, easy to clean and the mice won't bother it.
This is a good point. I have a lot of carpet tiles from my office remodel that I was planning on using due to the fact they are free.

OP
strousek

strousek

Lil-Rokslider
you are correct in your worries that if they get in they will make a mess of things. However, I would think something as small as a deer blind could be constructed tight enough to be mouse proof. It would require extra care, but I think it could be done. Just my opinion.
This is my hope as well however in my experience with the little nasty critters they can get through about any tiny crack. The blind will have operable doors and windows so creating a 100% seals on the doors and windows will be the trick. I want simple easy open windows and doors which come at a cost here I assume.

LostArra

WKR
I've found Fresh Cab scent to be very similar to the scent cover disks or wafers made by Hunters Specialties. I think Fresh Cab is primarily fir and cedar oil. I would bag up the Fresh Cab pouches when hunting and not worry it

I've got an ancient truck camper sitting on big wood pallets for my hunting home. A bag of Fresh Cab left on the floor when I'm gone has kept mice out for 10 years. I change the bag every year. I also leave no food in the camper.

Erict

WKR
I would not even bother trying to keep mice out, as others have said they will find a way in if it affords them food or shelter.

A Bucket mouse trap is what I'd use. The link is but one of many variations but gives one a good idea how they work. Add a few inches of water or if freezing weather expected you can use antifreeze, which also "preserves" them if you won't be visiting the place for weeks or longer. Remember that antifreeze is toxic to dogs and other animals so use accordingly and think about where you discard dead mice.

Last edited:

JeffP_Or

WKR
Strategically placed mothballs in the off-season?

Works for things in and outside/under but doesn't seem to keep critters from wandering around the area [i.e scaring deer]. Have seen an open cabin where mothballs were used for pack rats - game cam still gets bears, bobcats, skunks, coons, cougars, porcupines and deer all wandering in and by it. Rats and chipmunk intrusions are very few.

The bucket trap is a good idea.

If you’re only getting incidental mouse activity I’ve had pretty good luck using the “better mouse trap” type traps and leaving them set but un baited pushed up against a wall so the mouse gets caught just running through it. I keep them in my garage and shed and I’ve never seen a live mouse in either but randomly catch one, so I’m assuming that I’m catching them soon after they enter.

you may want to consider just slightly elevating the blind a couple feet so you can wrap the posts with tin to keep them out. This may help with visibility while hunting as well depending on your area.

I would think you can build tight enough doors and windows to keep them out and if you build the rest of the structure with mice in mind you should be ok. As you build it check for cracks at each stage and plug them with foam, steel wool, wood, tin, etc.

sniper61

Lil-Rokslider
It takes a hole the size of a dime for mice to get though it. I use the spray foam to sill up every thing. I use the metal roofing for the outside sheeting and roof and fill those holes with it and never had a mouse get in .The packets of hot chocolate are never eaten.

rclouse79

WKR
Stop by the humane society and pick up a truckload of cats to turn loose on your property?

Kountry Biscuit

Lil-Rokslider
Here’s a good one for this thread.

BradP2143

FNG
Try Grandpa Gus’s mouse repellent pouches. I hang the pouches in my truck engine compartment and around my hot tub hoses. Find them on Amazon.