Keeping my damn boot laces tied...

Reverse lacing locks em in, also use the double wrap technique shown in post #3 below the locking eyelet and at the top. Rarely retie anymore.

reverselacing.jpg

I always do what I know as a surgeons knot (double wrap) on everything. Stays tied 99.99%.

I have the same issue. A couple of options; Use a "loggers knot" (square knot), though these can be challenging to get untied at the end of the day. Wear gators or tuck the loop ends under your laces. If the loops and ends are not flopping around, they seem to not untie.

R-K

FNG
A few things that have been stated, but might need clarification.

Doubled-over laces on the speed lace hooks- this only locks the laces in place for support and extended comfort, but doesn't help the knot at the top. I'll do this hiking, but you might need to adjust it a couple times in the first mile to get the fit right and avoid running rubbing. It works great if you like a loose instep and tight ankle.

A basic bowtie/shoe knot is just a modified square knot, which is two alternating overhand knots. The first is single-strand one direction, the second is then double stranded (loops) the other direction. If you don't alternate directions on a square, the knot will always work itself loose- I learned this maybe 5 years ago, and could never understand why my shoes would always be untied before then. Not sure if I learned wrong, or my parents just gave up on their stubborn son.

Alternate directions on the two steps of your bowtie- right handed, laces out in front- right lace crosses over top & wraps around the left. The new right (original left) then makes a loop facing left, with the tag still to the right. Wrap the left lace over & around the loop & your thumb TWICE, then push left tag through the two wraps.

Adding the second wrap around the loop/thumb turns the knot into a modified surgeon's knot instead of a modified square knot. It has a lot more friction to it, and will almost never come loose if tied properly. I haven't had to double knot my shoes/boots since I started using l the surgeon's instead of the square, and actually alternating the knots.

Rodéo

WKR
I had the same problem and saw someone on this forum recommended obenauf's laces. Bought some and have been putting them on every pair of boots I've bought since. Also, wear gaiters.

Shotshill

FNG
Hmmmm, I learned from a SFC early on to do a square knot twice and tuck the laces in. Been doin it ever since for good reason.