Keeping pack clean while packing out meat?

mgebs311

FNG
How do you guys pack out meat and keep your packs clean while keeping the meat cool and in good condition? I've seen a lot of discussion on where to load meat such as meat shelf vs. in the bag, but I am more curious to hear about what kind of bags you put your meat in? Dry bags, breathable permeable bags, etc? Is it a compromise to the meat trying to accomplish this? I am not against washing my pack afterwards if I have to, and I have in the past. It would be nice to have a clean method of packing out meat though? I would love your thoughts and experience. Thank you!

I don't worry about it.
I just use my regular game bag. I don't use a plastic bag because I want the meat to breath as much as possible. I just just clean the bag with DDW after the hunt.

OP
mgebs311

mgebs311

FNG
I don't worry about it.
I just use my regular game bag. I don't use a plastic bag because I want the meat to breath as much as possible. I just just clean the bag with DDW after the hunt.

Thanks for your input. What is DDW though?

Jimss

WKR
Like mentioned above I use game bags so the meat can breath. I try to allow meat to cool down before setting in my pack. Once home I use dawn soap if needed. There often isn't hardly any blood so I don't even wash the bag.

OP
mgebs311

mgebs311

FNG
I have an Eberlestock Blue Widow pack and that does not have a meat shelf. I haven't had an issue packing meat in the bag and just washing it, but i'm looking at stepping up and getting a Kifaru or something similar with a meat shelf. One thing I thought of was, if I do use the meat shelf and not just putting meat in the bag, I didn't want to get my back all wet from blood any more than it will already be wet from sweat. Ultimately not a big deal I guess. I know everyone always has a trick or something they prefer. I appreciate the feedback so far.

Jimss

WKR
I bone just about every animal I shoot. In fact I bone most animals even if I shoot them next to my truck so they fit easily in coolers and the meat is clean, cool, and dry. As I'm boning out the pieces I place them in game bags and set them in the coolest spot possible. I can't remember 1 time I've gotten my back soaked with blood when I place the meat inside my Kifaru bag. I usually dispose of bloody meat around the shot and the remaining meat hardly has a drop of blood. Thinking back there have been a couple times when hunting in a downpour when meat got wet.....and there was a little blood in the bottom of my bag from being wet from rain.

It is best to have the majority of weight immediately against your back for stability and comfort when packing. Some shelves outside a bag may be way out from your back or below the bag and torque your shoulders and back. If your bag is loaded with gear and you haul meat outside your bag on a shelf it may be torture as the weight puts undo stress and torque on your back and shoulders. It also is super unstable packing on steep, rocky slopes. If you have trouble standing upright with the feeling that you are being pulled backwards with a medium to heavy load you likely need to load the weight closer to your center of gravity. If re-packing still doesn't work then it's likely your pack and frame aren't designed for heavy/bulky loads.

Stone Glacier has a way of creating a gap between your pack frame and your bag where meat and capes can be placed. This may be a better option than a shelf?

bsnedeker

WKR
Stone Glacier has a way of creating a gap between your pack frame and your bag where meat and capes can be placed. This may be a better option than a shelf?

Yeah, that's called a meat shelf! Not sure where you're getting the idea that most meat shelves put the load on the back of the bag. Every meat shelf ice ever seen has gone between the frame and the bag. SG did not invent this concept.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I use the meat shelf with TAG game bags, also don’t mind a little blood as long as it’s not all over my sleeping bag and base layers. Haven’t hunted in grizzly country yet, that might require more precaution.

If your pack looks like a horror movie, I wouldn’t be surprised if they wouldn’t let you carry it on a plane though (non bush flight). Was slightly worried going through security leaving CO, but had no issues.

OP
mgebs311

mgebs311

FNG
A little blood on the pack equals street cred. Haha
a little blood is a badge of honor!

I hear ya. Whenever I buy something new, I always seem to care more about keeping things like new, that is until the novelty wears off after more use, then I’m not as concerned. Still take care of it of course. What’s gear for if you ain’t using it? 🤷🏼‍ Thanks!

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I immediately put quarters in game bags, hang or lay them where air can circulate around and let them dump heat. Then drop in SG Load Shelf dry bag and either put on load shelf or directly into bag depending on what else I’m hauling out. Everything stays pretty clean. I agree a little blood is fine but on extended trips where you are continuing to hunt after you pack out (another tag or with someone else with tag) or have another trip and won’t have time to clean bag, it’s nice to keep things tidy. Contractor bags work, but usually haul my food in the SG bag anyway to hang and it actually breathes decent, contractor bag won’t.

I always use a pack liner.

When I get an animal on the ground I bone it out if its far from the car otherwise I leave the bones in. All meat and legs go into game bags, then I turn my pack liner inside out to keep the inside clean. All game bags go in the liner. I can then roll the top up and keep other items in my pack clean.

When I get home I just need to wash my pack liner and game bags. Pack and gear stays clean.

stonewall

WKR
I use good game bags and then stick it in a garbage bag if I am packing it in my pack works great
This is what I do. Have done one without the trash bag and didn’t like getting blood everywhere. Farthest pack I’ve had is 2-2.5 miles though. So the meat is only in plastic for a little while.