Keeping pack clean while packing out meat?

Block

WKR
Iv used those Kifaru meat bags for (3) dif deer.. they are waterproof and don’t get a drop of blood on my pack.. despite not “breathing” the meat was delish even after 4+ hour packout ... (2) bags fits a deboned mule deer.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I put all the meat in game bags and when hauling inside the bag or out, I put the game bags in white trash compactor bags. Keeps everything clean and the meat goes into a cold cooler as soon as I get it back to the truck.

manitou1

WKR
I personnally don't mind blood stains on my pack. It's a reminder of past successes. Oddly, I am OCD and prefer to keep most of my gear as pristine as possible, but blood stains on (clean) packs are just cool.

Last edited:
OP
mgebs311

mgebs311

FNG
I personnally don't mind blood stains on my pack. It's a reminder of past successes. Oddly, I am OCD, and prefer to keep most of my gear as pristine as possible, but blood stains on (clean) packs are just cool.
Nothing wrong being a bit OCD with gear, It costs enough to warrant that. Who am I to care about a little blood on my pack, Its been longer than I like admitting since I've shot an elk or deer, so at this point I will gladly welcome some blood haha.
Thanks everyone for your 2 cents.

Lochtsa71

Lil-Rokslider
I just put it in my Kifaru and either soak it the bathtub or break out the pressure washer.
It comes out very clean, it just takes a couple days to air dry.

Last edited:

tdot

WKR
There's enough Grizzlies where I hunt that I'm more then happy to not smell like injured prey.

I made a good size DCF stuff sac that is waterproof, weighs less then an ounce. My sleep setup normally lives in it. But when I'm packing an animal the meat filled game bag goes into the DCF stuff sac and bag stays clean. As soon as the packing is done, the game bag comes out of the DCF bag.

I dont buy into the concern of potentially losing meat if it is in a waterproof bag for 2-8 hours. Its hanging in a game bag before/after the packout, so can breathe and cool fine. An animal shot and left over night has a heck of alot more time to spoil then being packed into a backpack.... my opinion might change if it was over 80, but I'm rarely packing meat in anything warmer then 65 degree and often cooler.

I don't worry about it myself. A little blood never hurt anything. Into a game bag and in the pack it goes. I'll clean it up at the house with the garden hose and some Dawn. I couldn't believe how much and for how long this DT1 will hold water, yet it will dry so fast when emptied. Less than a day to get fully dry. I have literally talked myself out of buying another pack.

I just use regular game bags and prefer to pack meat inside of my pack vs meat shelf if possible. Never had any issues with getting a little blood in the pack just give it a quick spray and scrub after each hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
For me it depends. I'm looking at 30 minutes to clean my gear up vs stuffing in a bag. I've done compactor and the dry bag routes.

If I'm a day deep and not leaving, I want to stay clean. If I'm day tripping and ready to split, it's more time to bag it up.

Either way, the blood proof option is only for temporary use or you may curdle blood. Bag it, move....then air it out.