Keeping Rifle accessible with Trekking poles

I second the gun bearer. The best way to keep the barrel away from your head, is to move the hip belt connection back next to the pack bag. That moves the barrel forward and down. Good luck.

BAKPAKR

WKR
Yet another vote for the Kifaru gun bearer. One thing to note though, with a heavy-ish rifle you may feel a little off balance with a light pack. On my day hunts my heavy bergara can do a number on my back since everything is so off balance. With any sort of load in your pack however the gun bearer is money.

I use and like the GunBearer but I think 207-12A is right about heavier rifles. For me, my 300 RUM, which is just under 9.5 pounds, is about my limit in the GunBearer. For a heavier rifle, my brother uses a Nimrod Scabbard between his bag and his frame. That set up seems to work well for him.

Outlaw99

WKR
Excuse my ignorance, but what’s the major difference between the Kifaru gun bearer system and Exo’s weapon holder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnnyB

WKR
Another Gun Bearer user. Additional plus- if you bow hunt you can use it the same way. I actually use it during archery season as much or more.

Tie a piece of chord from the gunbearer to the bottom of your pack. It will keep the butt back, and the barrel angled forward. Adjust to your liking.

Fatcamp

WKR
IqXyUHA.jpg

Been carrying my rifles on my pack this way for nearly a decade now. Out of the way and still can access it in a hurry without taking the pack off. Granted it would be even faster to get a shot off if I carried it with one in the pipe as well, but racking the bolt is not whats slowing that operation down. Its the dropping the treking poles and unclipping and grabbing rifle. The bolt gets racked as I bring it to my shoulder. ;)

It keeps the gun behind me and out of my way but doesn't stick up super high in the alders either.

I like that. So it slips out the bottom after you unbuckle? That's just a loop of string for the barrel?

curt514

FNG
Anyone try the Mystery Ranch quick draw sling? It looks like it would work nice and hold it in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the stone glacier. Its out of the way until I need the rifle and then the "ripcord" release strap pops right open. I went back and forth with the Kifaru but never ended up ordering because I'm pretty sure I would go nuts with the barrel in the way all the time.