Keeping the inside of my Highcamp bag clean

Scoot

WKR
In most scenerios I expect to haul meat inside the main compartment of my ordered (but not yet arrived) Highcamp bag. I have always used Alaskan game bags and am happy with them. However, putting one of them in my bag will get it plenty dirty in there. How would it work to put the meat in Alaskan game bags and hang what I can't carry, and put an Alaskan game bag o' meat inside a kifaru meat bag and carry that inside my pack? Would that keep the inside of my pack clean?

Beastmode

WKR
You can put a game bag inside a kifaru meat baggie or contractor grade trash bags or a dry stuff sack such as sea to summit or OR. For extra protection you can also put items in your packin dry stuff sacks.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can put a game bag inside a kifaru meat baggie or contractor grade trash bags or a dry stuff sack such as sea to summit or OR. For extra protection you can also put items in your packin dry stuff sacks.

I carry a 60l lightweight stuff sack and put all my belongings in it for the pack out. Works well for me, I also can attach it to the outside of my pack.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
Zip loc Big bags XL are also an option. Cheap, light and disposable. I keep one in my field dress kit. They take up little space in the pack.

OP
Scoot

Scoot

WKR
Thanks for the replies fellas. One related question-- are there options that'll allow my meat to continue to cool, but still keep the inside of the bag clean? I imagine if the meat container for the meat can breath enough for cooling to occur then it'll allow for the inside of the pack to get dirty too. Making sense?

a3dhunter

WKR
Thanks for the replies fellas. One related question-- are there options that'll allow my meat to continue to cool, but still keep the inside of the bag clean? I imagine if the meat container for the meat can breath enough for cooling to occur then it'll allow for the inside of the pack to get dirty too. Making sense?
If it breathes, blood will flow through.
Either accept you will get blood on/in your pack or get used to using trash bags.

Shrek

WKR
To be honest , I hope my new High Camp gets a few blood stains in it and dirt ground into the belt and straps :) . Not saying I want to just dump bloody meat in it but I'm not sweating a little blood seeping out of my meat bag and staining a bit.

Beastmode

WKR
If it breathes, blood will flow through.
Either accept you will get blood on/in your pack or get used to using trash bags.

X2

You dont want to leave meat in a pack any longer than you have to. If you are going to stop to rest half way for a while take the meat out and let it hang or put it in a creek. Not such a big deal later in the year but early season and archery it is a really good idea.

Jdog

WKR
HD black contractor bags work great to keep inside of packs clean.

I have used them alot...work great. Get em' at Home Depot.

I carry meat in a Caribou game bags and slip them in Kifaru quarter bags or boned out meat in kifaru meat baggies for the pack out. Keeps my pack clean!! But if I do get a little blood in the bag. Wash cloth with soap and water removes the blood.

Ironman

Lil-Rokslider
Would use trash bags as mentioned, and disconnect bag from frame and use meat shelf kit, and use high camp as a cargo panel.

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
I use trash bags last year for my elk. One must have torn because I got blood on my T1. I took over to the car wash, and it washed right out. That was also 3 months later. I have washed a MR pack the same way. It seems to work well. I use ammonia for my bloody clothes. I have never tried it on a backpack, but I bet it would work well.

swat8888

WKR
Contractor bags for me too. Will still get some blood inevitably unless your super careful not to get any little holes in it. Nothing significant however.

OP
Scoot

Scoot

WKR
Thanks fellas! I hear ya regarding hoping to get the pack a little bloody. That being said, I've never dropped a significant portion or a mortgage payment on a pack before, so I feel less compelled than usual to make it look broken in!!! LOL
Thanks again,
Scott

sk1

WKR
as stated i think earlier, i put my gear in the contractor bag in the sleeping bag compartment to keep that clean, and just threw the meat in a alaska game bag in the pack----doesnt really answer your question as my pack got bloody. however, i threw it in a rubbermaid tote with warm water and woolite for a few hours, gently scrubbed first, then let it soak. i cant see any stains at all, although it is foliage in color so maybe that hides it a bit.

just wanted to say if you get blood on it, they wash out fairly well.