Keeping Trespassers out....is it possible?

Praxeus

Lil-Rokslider
I recently purchased some property that is surrounded by NF....its a dream come true, on paper. The reality is, now that I am the owner and dealing with reality....Im discovering that trespassers have figured out ingenious ways to attempt to "skirt" my property line. The fact is, it's impossible. They have to trespass to get to a few coveted spots. I am in contact with local, state and federal officials to fix the problem. We have signage, cameras and put gates up. Still....they are attempting to do what they have always done.

Is there something that Im missing?

Jim Flint

FNG
If you put gates up I'm assuming that the only access to these "coveted spots" is via roads that run through your property. As it was explained to me years ago (laws may have changed), a property owner cannot block access to any public land IF the road running through their property is the only access to said public land.

What kind of terrain is your property in? Have you asked USFS about the possibility of moving the road? That would be a big ask, though. If the trespassers are on foot, maybe you could just cut a new trail that avoids your property.

Hopefully, everyone that sees your signs and gates is respectful enough to find a new way in.

Last edited:
OP
P

Praxeus

Lil-Rokslider
If you put gates up I'm assuming that the only access to these "coveted spots" is via roads that run through your property. As it was explained to me years ago (laws may have changed), a property owner cannot block access to any public land IF the road running through their property is the only access to said public land.

Have you asked USFS about the possibility of moving the road? That would be a big ask, though.
Hi Jim....No. No road access through the property. What they are doing is attempting to "skirt" one of the edges. Because of the terrain, this is impossible to not trespass. The trespassing is a reality, no way around it. Now...the other option is for these guys is to hike several miles through the forest to get to these spots. No problem, that's what everyone else has to do. they are trespassing to avoid doing that

OP
P

Praxeus

Lil-Rokslider
As of yet, I haven't put any wire up. If I made the wire "hot" I would have to use an off grid system if thats even feasible.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
They make solar powered set ups but doubtful that'll solve your problem

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
Sounds like you're doing about all you can do right now. However, when you do catch someone, it's important to prosecute them.

Folks that I know that have trespassing problems all say that prosecuting them was the biggest deterrent for future trespassers. The word gets around that you're serious.

Good luck.

OP
P

Praxeus

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you're doing about all you can do right now. However, when you do catch someone, it's important to prosecute them.

Folks that I know that have trespassing problems all say that prosecuting them was the biggest deterrent for future trespassers. The word gets around that you're serious.

Good luck.
Thanks for this- I believe it. Evidently, there are some that have gone into this area for years and assume its just a "right" to continue to advance through private property. Amazing how that sense of entitlement works. I believe your advice here is the ONLY thing that will do the trick, long term.

Broz

WKR
Welcome to my world. Be courteous, be professional, make sure you know your exact boundaries, take pictures and video and document everything. Then prosecute. Tell enforcement you will prosecute. Then decide if the violations are honest mistakes or intended trespass and decide if they deserve the fines.

Be ready for the excuses of:
Isn't this FS land
Isn't this BLM
Isn't this State land
My GPS app says I am good
I have always used this route
The last owner gave us permission
I got permission 100 years ago
I am not hunting just getting to the FS land

Goes with owning your own land. Be firm, but professional.

Good Luck

Broz

WKR
I will add that once we started to prosecute those that are choosing to trespass, the word got out. Prosecuted 12 the first year, only about 1/2 that the next and now only a few each year.

I also go out of my way to help those who are doing it right. If they take game legally on government lands, I have made my contact info available and will help them with recovery. I have hauled dozens of elk and deer to the road through our ranch to help the ones who respect the boundaries. This is great for public relations and they will return the favor by reporting to you when others cheat. I actually am very glad to help those who play by the rules. Not all are bad guys. But there are plenty of bad eggs to go around for sure.

OP
P

Praxeus

Lil-Rokslider
There is a worn trail that goes right through our property and then zig zags in and out. Heres the issue, my property gives access to several draws that guys would have to walk miles around and through NF to get to. The previous owner did his best to monitor, confront and did prosecute. Im looking for a cure all...obviously, the answer is to monitor and prosecute. We are already purchasing the best cameras and using them from elevated positions. Being a nice guy is not an option but, using tact and politeness have their limits. Enough is enough.

Appreciate all of the above comments.

mlob1one

WKR
Praxeus. I'd be happy to help with fencing etc., If you're willing to allow someone access... let me know. Sounds like you have a great spot. I'd also be willing to share some meat as a thank you. Just saying.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like you need some 3 rail fencing for a length where they were accessing then maybe use wire. Get something like a plot watcher camera that is constantly taking pictures to help with your documention. Also I would go have a face to face with the sheriff and ask for thier recommendation.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
There is a worn trail that goes right through our property and then zig zags in and out. Heres the issue, my property gives access to several draws that guys would have to walk miles around and through NF to get to.

That's an issue - I've heard of judges saying that since the trail is worn, it shows an existing access route that was apparently allowed.

I had 10 acres I couldn't keep the locals off. Sold it out of frustration - should have kept it.

My advice for you is to block those trails, till 'em and make em like the natural landscape again. Put enough of a blockage there that anyone in his right mind wouldn't cross - downed trees, barbed wire, rattle snakes, the works. Extend it a couple hundred yards in either direction, along with signs that say PRIVATE PROPERTY, NO TRESPASSING - OWNER WILL PROSECUTE. and then fight the uphill battle. Maybe create some diversion along the trail in - brush piles, etc.

I do assume that you have had the sheriff and GW and local LEO out to the area in question and have asked for their advice and help.

Be patient it is gonna take a while. These folks have a honey hole to hunt and have done ti without issue for the last XX years. Now you are taking it away from them. Good camera footage is a must - maybe have a board on your property where you post 8x10 photos of the trespassers.

So I’m taking the property is not fenced? At all?

Fencing some property my company owns to keep Trespassers out has cured more problems than I ever dreamed. As a fellow property owner that tried like hell to
fight it, and continued to lose the battle. That would be my recommendation.

mcseal2

WKR
Only idea I haven't seen shared yet is to publicly post pictures of the trespassers in the act. Try to shame them into staying out.

If it was me and an option I'd first talk to the person. I'd tell them I have the pics and if they ever come back I'll show them to anyone who will look. If the person has a reputation to protect they won't want pictures shared of them trespassing. The new social media world is plenty willing to attack anyone who does anything wrong. Depending on who it is they might get mad and try to get even, so use this at your own risk.

Tick

WKR
A good fence with signs will keep most out. No leniency on the ones that choose to cross.