Keeping your name off public records??

280Ackley

WKR
So my family took in two precious foster girls 2 years ago at ages 4m and 2yo. We are close to finalizing the adoption, 2-3 months hopefully. We had an altercation with the bio family this weekend. The sheriff’s office said they still can not proceed with a protection order or restraining order. We only anticipate things to get worse once the adoption is finalized. So we are looking to move about 45 min away. That leads to my question. Is there a way to buy a house and keep our names off it so they can’t google our names to find out where we live? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

Also if anyone is looking for 5 timbered acres in Northern Idaho with a farm house and barn shoot me a pm!😂😂😂

sram9102

WKR
That might be something that each state has different regulations so take this with a grain of salt. I have seen both LLC's as well as random trust names for property owners with my job. I don't know what Idaho allows.

Baddog

WKR
Yeah my thought is start an LLC. But you could still be found with a little extra leg work. Sounds like the situation needs dealt with instead of hiding. But I'm sure that's easier said than done...

That might be something that each state has different regulations so take this with a grain of salt. I have seen both LLC's as well as random trust names for property owners with my job. I don't know what Idaho allows.

Yep was going to say LLC. You can also get your name taken off of listings that are associated to the property. Every state is different. If you use any social media make everything private.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ODB

WKR
I wish I knew. This info has always been public to a degree but took much more effort to get at, which sort of acted as a bulwark against asswipes doxxing people or doing what that are apparently doing to you.

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
OnX is full of llc and trust names. you could list your house ownership as rokslide properties, llc or the Harold and Edith Poppelgate Trust, but thy can probably find you other ways.

JakeSCH

WKR
Like others have said, best bet is to put property in a trust with a name that cannot be linked back to you. This involves getting a trust setup and making sure that the property is recorded in the trust from the get go.

4rcgoat

WKR
So my family took in two precious foster girls 2 years ago at ages 4m and 2yo. We are close to finalizing the adoption, 2-3 months hopefully. We had an altercation with the bio family this weekend. The sheriff’s office said they still can not proceed with a protection order or restraining order. We only anticipate things to get worse once the adoption is finalized. So we are looking to move about 45 min away. That leads to my question. Is there a way to buy a house and keep our names off it so they can’t google our names to find out where we live? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

Also if anyone is looking for 5 timbered acres in Northern Idaho with a farm house and barn shoot me a pm!😂😂😂
Cant help any,but good on you and family for taking in those 2 precious girls.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Create a trust, the trust buys the house. You could also create an LLC. I would discuss your options with a lawyer as they will insure all the T's are crossed and the I's dotted.

Also, consider that avoiding being found is difficult if those looking are motivated. Investing in security might be a better course.

Last edited:

Zzyzx

FNG
As stated above, this varies by state. But a trust with a name untied to your surname would be the typical method. Would not generally have to go as far as an LLC (which is the more costly option for sure). The cover can get blown on either of those options pretty easily in many states. That is one reason why Wyoming is used for LLC entity formation - the confidentiality rules are tighter in WY (and you don't have to necessarily live in the state where you form your LLC, etc).

But all of this is blown if the biological family just follows your car home from school or daycare some day. So, not sure any of this would be worth the cost and effort. You might need a move much father than 45 minutes for distance to be a meaningful solution.

I hope the issues with the biological family resolve for you in other ways. Best of luck and congratulations on the adoptions.

I wish you luck man. I understand its hard to trust humans who were unable to keep their biological children to make rational decisions..

If the bio family comes to your new property, call 911. Have a police report made, and charge them with trespassing. That charge comes with fines, the threat of jail time, etc, etc. Most people will back right down once it gets real. If a trespassing charge doesn't deter them, I'd consider them to be a real threat and deal with that appropriately. Last time I called the police on a tweeked out gal trying to break into my house, it took them 37 minutes to arrive. A good dose of bear spray had been applied to her by the time the mounties arrived, and EMS had to hose her down real good with lots of cold water and soap before she could be transported to the hospital and ultimately to jail. Do not allow them to stomp on your rights, especially on your property or in your home. There's a good reason you were allowed to adopt them, don't be afraid to defend your family fiercely.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Another layer to add, have your bank or attorney be the contact for the trust or LLC. Not sure what they charge. I just know its an option as I tried to get hunting permission through some bank contacts when I saw the bank was listed as the manager for the trust that owned the property.

OP
280Ackley

280Ackley

WKR
Thanks everyone, I’ll look into a trust/llc. They have been smart enough to not come on our property. They do just enough to not cross the line to get into real trouble. In 4 years when our youngest son is done with Highschool a major move may be in the cards. For now I am just trying to give my wife peace of mind in our home. I’ve already addressed the security with cameras, guns and our dog. Hoping that getting out of there home town area will be enough.

Last edited:

Erict

WKR
1. Document everything in writing as it happens,

2. Forget LLC, etc. Unless you are enrolled in a witness protection program you will leave your traces elsewhere. Vehicle registrations, social media, tax bills, maybe your hunting license info is publicly accessible in Idaho, etc.

3. If you suspect them coming to your residence then consider trailcams, security cams, etc. "Post" your property if that's a legal thing in your state.

4. Be prepared to remain calm during any interaction and always be prepared to record any interaction - good video evidence is hard to overcome.

5. Pursue protection order, restraining order, etc.

Good luck

Another layer to add, have your bank or attorney be the contact for the trust or LLC. Not sure what they charge. I just know its an option as I tried to get hunting permission through some bank contacts when I saw the bank was listed as the manager for the trust that owned the property.
If you have someone else involved with a trust or LLC make sure they are only a contact. Sometimes, when banks become a material part of a trust it doesn’t always work as originally intended for the grantor and beneficiaries.

ewade07

WKR
If the bio family comes to your new property, call 911. Have a police report made, and charge them with trespassing. That charge comes with fines, the threat of jail time, etc, etc. Most people will back right down once it gets real. If a trespassing charge doesn't deter them, I'd consider them to be a real threat and deal with that appropriately. Last time I called the police on a tweeked out gal trying to break into my house, it took them 37 minutes to arrive. A good dose of bear spray had been applied to her by the time the mounties arrived, and EMS had to hose her down real good with lots of cold water and soap before she could be transported to the hospital and ultimately to jail. Do not allow them to stomp on your rights, especially on your property or in your home. There's a good reason you were allowed to adopt them, don't be afraid to defend your family fiercely.
OOFTA. I couldnt imagine geting hit with bear spray. Good choice of weapon.

Me! Have to sell mine first.

Good luck in figuring this mess out. The ones who are really taking this the most are the kiddos. Good on you for providing a safe atmosphere for them.

As mentioned, an attorney setting up the trust and using the proper legal jargon that will even bind a federal judge to adhere to it is the best option.