Kelly Cosmic Drydown

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have used this bag. Mine is the Ignite 20, which is what they called it when they first introduced it. It has held up great and offers a lot of value for the money.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
Good value for the bag. I will say that Kelty bags are not overrated when it comes to temp. A 20* bag is a 20* bag, no less. With that in mind, great bag for the money.

I have the 0 degree version and it's been a good bag for the money. I remember picking it up on the REI garage. Only time I was disappointed with the performance was last year for 4th season elk. We were sleeping on cots/pads and I got cold every night once the stove burned out.

However, I did some camping in December the same year, had the stove going for 90% of the night (which could have been the difference), but was only on some tyvek/sleeping pad (which also could have been the difference), and was comfortable all night.

Not to derail the thread, but has anyone else had experience of being up on a cot with your pad, and being colder than just on the ground with your pad?

AKMAN

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 20* and have enjoyed it very much. It isn't anywhere near what I'd call a winter bag, but I have used it at elevation into September here in Alaska and with layers it kept me fairly toasty. For me, the bag being highly compressible was my number one priority. I stuff it in an Osprey longitudinal compression sack and it isn't much larger than a loaf of wonder bread.

That said, in my very real world experience, the DryDown tech is not a substitute for a synthetic sleeping bag.
During two very rainy hunts (caribou and sheep) in the bag got wet (then damp) and lost significant r-value.
Made for a few very chilly night when it's raining @ about 37 degrees. :/

(And yes, air underneath you will ALWAYS be colder than insulation)

(And yes, air underneath you will ALWAYS be colder than insulation)

That's what I was thinking. Keeping my tyvek/sleeping pad on the ground.

Solid bag though, I haven't gotten my wet, maybe a little damp in the morning, but I'll agree with AKMAN, DryDown is still Down, so it's definitely not a substitute for synthetic.

gabenzeke

WKR
Don't get it wet! I found it fine down to low thirties last year, but the footbox got wet in a nasty storm and I guarantee that tiny bit of moisture made my feet cold the rest of the trip.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

GIS

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using one for almost 4 years. It's a great bag for the money. I personally find it warmer than other 20 degree bags I've had and been warm in it down to the mid-twenties.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

I've been using the Ignite 20* for a couple years now. No complaints. Paired with a bivy and tarp it's kept me warm on nights in freezing rain and wind.