Kelly Kettle

JeffS

FNG
Anyone ever used one of these? The idea of not having to pack in fuel is very enticing, but a little unnerving at the same time.

Above Timber

Lil-Rokslider
That is really a neat idea. I do not know how practical it would be for backpacking due to its size. But, I think it would be great at a base or car camp.

My brother brought one on a kayak trip last summer.It worked amazingly well and was pretty fast.You can also use an alcohol stove as a heat source which makes it even faster.With two extra pcs. you can cook with an additional pot on top.
You do ALWAYS need to have water in it so I'm not sure how well it would work in winter conditions if you needed to melt snow or ice
Tim

I have the backcountry boiler which is real is similar to the kettle. I've only had it about a month and so far have only taken it on a couple of day hikes. But initial impressions is it works great actually just takes a hand full of sticks to get a boil and boils water fairly fast. I love the weight, mine weighs in at 8 ounces on my scale.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have the backcountry boiler which is real is similar to the kettle. I've only had it about a month and so far have only taken it on a couple of day hikes. But initial impressions is it works great actually just takes a hand full of sticks to get a boil and boils water fairly fast. I love the weight, mine weighs in at 8 ounces on my scale.

I checked out the Backcountry Boiler website, and besides being a really neat product, I thought the humor was pretty clever.

This may be my favorite bit of advertising copy ever:

2.Versatile - Can operate on virtually anything flammable (so no fuel to carry, but also unlimited hot water. It’s basically like perpetual motion.)

Gotta love some overarching hyperbole.

I have carried a jet boil sol titanium for the last couple of years. But now with the boiler not only being lighter and no fuel there is a ton of weight savings. My only concern is just being careful and fire safe during archery season with the ashes. So far on my day hikes I have just grabbed sticks along the trail to use and boil times have been around 5 minutes on the two times I've used it to make coffee

shanevg

WKR
That backcountry boiler looks really cool. NOt quite as compact as my current popcan stove setup but definitely lighter when taking fuel into account for more than a few boils in a trip.

garrenj

FNG
What is the weight of your current setup? (ie, stove, pot, fuel for 7 days)

Good point Jeff. It looks like my current setup is about 39.5 ounces, 2.46 pounds. My pot is a lot heavier than I thought. I usually only go through one of the 230g canisters a week depending on the weather.

Looks like the 2.6lbs was for the heaviest one, they have a medium that is 2.1. I'd have to get a titanium pan to get under that.

I am really liking the looks of the backcountry boiler as well.

Brunton raptor 5 oz
Jetboil 230g canister 12.9 0z
MSR Pot 21.6
Total 39.5

I don't know what the Kelly kettle weighs, but my backcountry boiler comes in right at 8 ounces and if you factor in the fact you don't have to carry any fuel that makes your overall stove weight lighter than anything out there.

That backcountry boiler is very intriguing to say the least... Wonder if you could hook it up to a stove pipe and use it to heat a floorless shelter! lol (Kidding here, kinda...)

I would say it'd be more of a hassle than it's worth to start a fire everytime instead of going the jetboil type stove route, but it looks like a very efficient chimney design. Wonder if you would bring a few esbit tabs to try in case you couldn't find dry fuel?

Mike

unm1136

WKR
I have a kelly kettle that I always take car camping. Next payday I will have enough for a backcountry boiler, anodized, with pot stand and felt. The biggest drawback I have heard of is a strong woodsmoke smell that will soon permiate your pack. I plan on fighting this two ways... one, the boiler will have its own long pocket strapped on one side of my pack. That pocket will hold the boiler and a days worth of food. Two, the felt wick for use with alcohol is clever, and while it is fuel to carry, it it will burn more cleanly. If using trail findings the harder woods will produce less soot, and less smell, and oven cleaner will pull the gunk out. At 8 oz without fuel it is intriguing. This is a gotta have for me. It likely cannot be adapted to a shelter, though. It must have water in it to function. Once it starts to boil dry it will be ruined.

I will do a photo review of it, when I get it. I will be taking it on a couple of weekend trips for turkey hunting. I think everyone who eats dehydrated anything needs one, particularly if they want to be lightweight and already take a xmug or xplate/bowl.

pat

Hells canyon you might be right. I have used a jet boil for years and love it. Fast simple reliable. I only do two maybe three boils a day depending on what I have for breakfast. I think where this may shine is when your are out for extended periods like 10 days plus. That's when the fuel weight may be significant. I am going to take it on our 7 day spring bear hunt. That will be a good test if it's worth while or not. I to have noticed the wood smoke smell. I was hoping that was more due to the wet wood I have been burning in February. I was hoping as we transition into summer and the wood dries out it should dissipate. I know last year we had fires almost every morning in my tipi and I don't remember any smell on our clothing from that.

unm1136

WKR
I like the dedicated external long pocket. I have one ordered and now I have a use for it . Stove and food perfect.

After the boiler purchase I am planning on saving my lunch money from march 1 to june 1 to order some more Kifaru goodies. I have an idea for my food and water storage long pockets that should be really sweet.

pat