Kelty sleeping bags

huntn4fun

FNG
Anyone have input on Kelty Cosmic 20 or Dualist 20 ? Would be used for elk archery season.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
My buddies have used a couple of cosmic 20 bags for a couple of years. They get the job done. Not overly packable, but not terrible. They are a great "budget" option. I've personally used the kelty lightyear 40* bag... Froze my buns off! Haven't heard the same about the Cosmic 20*.

Part of your choice may depend on where you are hunting. Michigan? Colorado? Dry? Wet? If it's likely to be wet, or you're looking at doing a floorless shelter, check into synthetic. Down and water don't mix too well.

What are your plans for the bag? That'll help determine what bag will be "best". But, yes, the Cosmic 20* is a good bag for the money.

Good Luck!

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
I use the SB32. 800 fill. I think its 1 step up from cosmic. Works great temp rating is a tad off. Im thinking about going with the 20 and that would be perfect for low 30 degs.

OP
H

huntn4fun

FNG
Bag would be used mostly out west Colorado, Idaho, Montana. Using a tent with floor for now. Months of late Aug and into October.

Bl704

WKR
I use the SB32. 800 fill. I think its 1 step up from cosmic. Works great temp rating is a tad off. Im thinking about going with the 20 and that would be perfect for low 30 degs.
I've got the sb20 generally good, packs a bit bigger than a cantalope. Good for me till 20s with a pad and dry base layer.

Only night I was cold last year, it got down to 20 and I was wet head to toe (got caught in the snow-wet outside, then overexerted climbing out of the snow slicked canyon at dark-wet inner layers)...stripped off most outer layers which froze solid overnight and I was cold all night-that sucked. Morning I warmed and dried at a fire-perfect.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
Bag would be used mostly out west Colorado, Idaho, Montana. Using a tent with floor for now. Months of late Aug and into October.

The Cosmic will be fine for that. Might need to wear some long johns to bed on a super cold night, but that'll likely depend on what elevation and what kind of a winter we're having. With a floored shelter, the biggest concern is condensation, so do what you can to minimize this and keep that bag dry. If you were planning on going floorless I'd say to maybe consider going to a synthetic, but honestly, that Cosmic can be had for quite a deal if you look around and it's a great bag without getting into the bags you may or may not need a second mortgage for...

Good Luck!

Bl704

WKR
One other note...an insulated sleeping pad will generally benefit your comfort for most any bag.

And remember, bag ratings are (typically) survival ratings and not comfort ratings.

OP
H

huntn4fun

FNG
With a floored shelter, the biggest concern is condensation, so do what you can to minimize this and keep that bag dry.

Forgive my ignorance but would floorless with sleeping pad cut down on condensation?

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
A good pad ( I'm a fan of Big Agnes q-core SLX - but there are others) will certainly help with temp ratings. Condensation is usually combatted by creating a cross breeze or ventilation when in a tent. A wet synthetic bag (ie. one that's had condensation drip on it will be much warmer and useable (ie. will dry out) than a down bag. But they are bulkier and heavier, typically.

There are no ignorant questions - just the ones you don't ask. We're all here to help and learn - and we all do both - usually!

Good Luck!

I had the Kelty Cosmic Down 20 in Long and it was the most narrow bag I've ever been in. If you are comfortable on a 20" sleeping pad then you will be fine, but my shoulders are way too broad and I couldn't even get it zipped up.

OP
H

huntn4fun

FNG
I'm new to mummy style bags so trying to figure out fit. I've heard if bag is too big you lose some heat.
I've heard synthetic dries faster but salesman at REI stated treated down is as good and would dry out faster.
All that being said he's a hiker and not back country hunter.

I'm new to mummy style bags so trying to figure out fit. I've heard if bag is too big you lose some heat.
I've heard synthetic dries faster but salesman at REI stated treated down is as good and would dry out faster.
All that being said he's a hiker and not back country hunter.

1) I call BS on a big bag makes you lose heat; if it has a good draft collar that fits tight on your shoulders then it doesn't matter what the rest of the bag fits like. In fact you don't want it too tight because the more you compress the down/insulation, the less effective it is. Yes if there is more room inside the bag you are warming that air, but if you keep the bag zipped and no cold air is getting in then it doesn't matter how much air is in there.

2) Synthetic vs down: Synthetic still provides warmth when wet, so not only does it dry faster, but you can also use it while it's drying. Treated down has it's arguable disadvantages over regular down, but it can dry faster but like most down it's worthless when wet. The primary argument here is weight and compressability vs bombproof. Down is lighter and more compressible, but it must be kept dry simple as that. There are some other advantages to down like the ability to move insulation around in the tubes to try and customize the warmth profile.