Kelvin Active jacket

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
Thinking about redoing my layering system this season. Looking at the kelvin active as a breathable mid layer in cold weather or an outer layer in warmer weather. I have used the FL uncompahgre for years in different layering situations and am familiar in how it performs, so looking for any insight on how the kelvin active jacket compares. Is it more or less breathable and is it warmer or colder than the FL?

H80Hunter

WKR
I don’t have an Uncompaghre. However, the KA is super breathable and from everything I’ve read about the uncompaghre, the KA is quite a bit lighter.

OP
Brush Buster

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
Being a bit lighter is a large part that draws me to it. Thinking I could use a heavier outer layer with it when glassing at a minimal weight gain compared to the FL and additional layers.

Kotaman

WKR
These two jackets are “apples and oranges”. The Kelvin Active is a fairly light weight active piece used as a high exertion piece in cool/moderate temps. The Unpronounceable is a puffy jacket meant to be slipped on after heavy exertion. The FL works great as an active piece in frigid temps but is too warm for anything else active. The KA is not warm enough in frigid temps. A better comparison of products is the Kelvin Lite vs. Uncompagre. These two jackets are similar.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ this; two totally different pieces

imo in most cool to cold hunting, you want both- not either or; if it's cold and your moving you want a lightweight active insulation piece, if it's cold and your not moving (glassing/eating lunch/etc) you want a puffy to pull over the top of your other layers

The kelvin active was a piece I wasnt sure had a place in what I do. I thought it would be the one I sold or sent back. But its become one of my favorites. I wore it in Colorado in late september in the mornings/evenings over a base layer t shirt and core lightweight hoody and Ive been wearing it over a base layer t shirt and core heavyweight hoody down to 35-40 in the treestand with good success - unless its windy then it wont cut it at those temps while stationary and Ill put a jetstream over top.

OP
Brush Buster

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
^ this; two totally different pieces

imo in most cool to cold hunting, you want both- not either or; if it's cold and your moving you want a lightweight active insulation piece, if it's cold and your not moving (glassing/eating lunch/etc) you want a puffy to pull over the top of your other layers
That’s kinda what I was expecting/hoping it to be. Which is what I was looking for, as the FL is too warm for me when I start moving. I am a sweater so breathability is important in an active insulation piece for me.

TN2shot07

WKR
I have also had both, the active is way lighter! It’s probably great if you’re doing a lot of hiking, but less than I wanted to sit in a tree stand. The uncompaghre is a definite in my pack once it cools off.

@Kotaman is spot on. I own and use both, as well as a kelvin light hoody.

Kelvin active is lighter and more breathable for sure. It is also less wind resistant and doesn’t really shed any moisture to speak of. I honestly use my kelvin active very little. Lacking a hood is part of that. The fact that it insulates less than the other jackets is another part. I also find I prefer a core heavyweight in that mid layer type role. It’s not a bad piece but more a reflection of my preference.

given a choice and any degree of uncertainty about how cold it is going to get, I almost always end up taking then uncomstupidname or the kelvin light hoody as an insulation piece.

OP
Brush Buster

Brush Buster

Lil-Rokslider
@Kotaman is spot on. I own and use both, as well as a kelvin light hoody.

Kelvin active is lighter and more breathable for sure. It is also less wind resistant and doesn’t really shed any moisture to speak of. I honestly use my kelvin active very little. Lacking a hood is part of that. The fact that it insulates less than the other jackets is another part. I also find I prefer a core heavyweight in that mid layer type role. It’s not a bad piece but more a reflection of my preference.

given a choice and any degree of uncertainty about how cold it is going to get, I almost always end up taking then uncomstupidname or the kelvin light hoody as an insulation piece.
Thanks that’s very helpful info. Maybe my peloton 240 as a mid layer would be better in combo with a puffy. Moisture wicking is important to me..

huntuk

FNG
The kelvin active was a piece I wasnt sure had a place in what I do. I thought it would be the one I sold or sent back. But its become one of my favorites. I wore it in Colorado in late september in the mornings/evenings over a base layer t shirt and core lightweight hoody and Ive been wearing it over a base layer t shirt and core heavyweight hoody down to 35-40 in the treestand with good success - unless its windy then it wont cut it at those temps while stationary and Ill put a jetstream over top.
Curious how are the arms on the kelvin active jacket? I found the kelvin lite hoody arms snug but sizing up the rest is too loose

The sleeves on the kelvin lite are much tighter than the active. The active sleeves fit me well despite having Popeye forearms. The kelvin lite - I didnt size up but the sleeves are damn near too tight. But bowhunting only, I can deal with it having the clearance I normally don’t get on a puffy.

Long story short, don’t size up on the active jacket based on sleeve room.

huntuk

FNG
The sleeves on the kelvin lite are much tighter than the active. The active sleeves fit me well despite having Popeye forearms. The kelvin lite - I didnt size up but the sleeves are damn near too tight. But bowhunting only, I can deal with it having the clearance I normally don’t get on a puffy.

Long story short, don’t size up on the active jacket based on sleeve room.
Last question... the kelvin active jacket and kelvin active hoody — would it make sense to get these both?

Trying to piece my layer system together and here’s where I’m at.. feel free to critique. This is to take me right through Canada Sept-Oct Bow season and into November rifle season.

Core Lightweight Hoody
Kelvin Active Hoody
Kelvin Active Jacket or Kelvin Lite Hoody ( just can’t decide)
Apex Hoody
Puffy - non Sitka (if need be)
Jetstream jacket

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I would get either or

personally I'm leaning hoody- especially earlier season, it's active piece that's going over a base layer (and quite possibly on a windshirt layer) so the short sleeve makes more sense (for me) AND I like hoods on everything

Last question... the kelvin active jacket and kelvin active hoody — would it make sense to get these both?

Trying to piece my layer system together and here’s where I’m at.. feel free to critique. This is to take me right through Canada Sept-Oct Bow season and into November rifle season.

Core Lightweight Hoody
Kelvin Active Hoody
Kelvin Active Jacket or Kelvin Lite Hoody ( just can’t decide)
Apex Hoody
Puffy - non Sitka (if need be)
Jetstream jacket

Im with mtwarden. I like hoods, they fit inside eachother and dont add much bulk.

That being said, I have both, like both and use both. Id guess most people are going to say active jacket, but I prefer the hoodie if I had to keep 1. I like the hood and kangaroo pocket. No sleeves on forearms is great for bowhunting. I dont rifle hunt so that may factor into your decision.

Im a gear junky, so I have most sitka subalpine pieces. But if you said pic 2 out of 3 between core lightweight hoody, core heavyweight hoody and apex hoody - Im leaving the apex. I just havent used the apex much but have used the lightweight and heavyweight a ton.

old_coyote

Lil-Rokslider
This is bold but: the Kelvin active jacket is the best piece of hunting clothing one can own.

As a western hunter, who covers ground and hunts hard I literally wear it all day everyday hunting in the fall and winter. A true mid-layer. It breathes. It keeps you warm. It knocks the wind chill down. I can gain elevation in it and not be soaked... plus it dries incredibly quick.

When I sit and glass I throw my uncompadgre over it and then my dewpoint if it’s cold, raining or windy.

i did snag it on a rose bush in my yard the other day, but a little tenacious tape fixed that.