Kelvin Active Warmth Comparison

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
So I know the Sitka Kelvin Active is supposed to be worn more as a mid layer, maybe as an insulation layer in the early season. My question is how does it compare warmth wise to other Sitka mid layers like the Traverse Zip T or the Core Heavyweight Hoody (a baselayer, but many use as a mid)?

TravisIN

WKR
Not sure on the traverse but it is warmer than the hoody. They do work great together though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a kelvin active. Think somewhere between a puffy and a halstead or Patagonia r1. Warmer than a core heavyweight for sure. Not sure about the zip-t. It breathes well but still blocks some wind. Warmer than a fleece but probably doesn’t stretch and move as well.

Kotaman

WKR
I have a kelvin active. Think somewhere between a puffy and a halstead or Patagonia r1. Warmer than a core heavyweight for sure. Not sure about the zip-t. It breathes well but still blocks some wind. Warmer than a fleece but probably doesn’t stretch and move as well.

Agree with this

Agreed with those that have stated it’s somewhere between a puffy and a core heavyweight.

I definitely had to be sold on this jacket, but I’ve become a big fan. It’s very light and quiet, and when you handle it you think there’s no way it’s going to be very warm, but somehow it always seems to be just about right. I like that it packs into its own chest pocket, but it’s so breathable that I never really feel the need to take it off. On the other hand, I wish the Kelvin Lites would do that.

I can’t really comment on hunting very actively in cold weather with it since I haven’t had a chance to yet. But sitting still, I definitely would layer up with it once you get into the 40s or cooler or if it’s breezy. I like to run it with a Kelvin Lite Vest in those conditions (usually with a midweight base layer) and throw a Jetstream over the top if it gets really cold or windy.

OP
K

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
Can anyone comment on how the Apex hoody compares warmth wise to all those mentioned?

EDIT: Nevermind. I found the review thread.

Last edited:

amp713

WKR
Do any of you run the Active as your only mid layer?

I may be different than everyone else here in that I love this piece and it's my outer layer. I wore a short sleeve merino shirt, core heavy weight hoody and then the Kelvin active over that. And that was all I wore all the "early" season. Then I exchanged my merino short sleeve for a merino long sleeve and hunted in November above 9k in snow and freezing temps. I used my rain jacket as my main wind break but still only ran the Kelvin active as my insulation. I basically hunted out of that jacket all last year until I got too hot. I may just run a lot warmer than others but for me it's an outer layer that doesnt need much added until it gets alot colder or the sits turn into full day with no movement at all.

NoWiser

WKR
On a similar note, does anyone know of any comparable pieces from other companies? I don't want to pay Sitka prices when all they offer are camo colors, basically limiting me to a couple weeks a year of use. I've been looking at the Patagonia Nano-air Light Hybrid and the Arc'teryx Atom LT. Hopefully there are some decent sales in the next few months.

OP
K

KitShickers

Lil-Rokslider
On a similar note, does anyone know of any comparable pieces from other companies? I don't want to pay Sitka prices when all they offer are camo colors, basically limiting me to a couple weeks a year of use. I've been looking at the Patagonia Nano-air Light Hybrid and the Arc'teryx Atom LT. Hopefully there are some decent sales in the next few months.
I would think anything with 80gr Polartec Alpha would be similar. I saw one from Columbia (I think) last night for about $150.

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider

Outdoor Research has their Ascendant line which uses Polartec Alpha. Listed as slightly lighter weight than the Kelvin Active but has 95g of insulation vs the 80g.