Kenai goat tag!!

I drew a kenai goat permit this year! Paper copy arrived Friday, got my hunt planned and starting to get pumped. It's been a long year with covid and a second baby girl this spring, I'm excited to get into the mountains. My dad is coming up from Idaho to attempt to be my pack mule, most likely camp cook/spotter. I came across this forum a few years ago when I drew a chugach sheep tag and found some good info, decided I might as well join now.

Still not sure what I'm going to do with the hide if I get one. Don't have much wall space. Thinking about doing a euro myself and having a throw rug made. Or a rug with the skull in it. Wondering if anyone has a taxidermist suggestions? How much should I put aside? Located in Anchorage but would be willing to drop off somewhere else in south central. TIA
-cheers

I would base your taxidermy choice on the goat that you shoot. If it’s a monster Booner Billy then go full body!

a long nanny makes a cool euro. The rug depends on how long the hair is…. So shoot your goat and decide from there.

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
Your taxi won't likely use the skull in a traditional rug mount. They have armatures for that type of work. You could get a euro done and if you're really set on a "head on" rug, you could get replica horns made. Lots of options if you have a plan before the hunt.

Get in touch with @SLDMTN for the euro. He does a great job with beetles and obviously a fellow forum member.

I’m not big on taxidermy so I did a throw rug with one of my winter goats and it hangs out in my office. Just about anyone could do a throw for ya.

As someone who has not drawn a tag going all in for 8 years now, you can GFY with that chugach sheep and Kenai goat within a few years! Good luck

Attachments

• 008F0099-C8DB-456B-81AD-50B26320C5FF.jpeg
    008F0099-C8DB-456B-81AD-50B26320C5FF.jpeg
    340.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 5D21D8EB-3AFA-4B48-B818-212184D5FBDE.jpeg
    5D21D8EB-3AFA-4B48-B818-212184D5FBDE.jpeg
    474.9 KB · Views: 33

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Congratulations on your draw and future hunt with your father!

My son and I did a Kenai draw goat tag in September one year (shoulder-mount Billy pictured below). Also below is a rugged-out Nanny taken in October another year with my daughter on Kodiak.

IMG_3658.jpgIMG_1563.JPG

Last edited:
OP
B
Get in touch with @SLDMTN for the euro. He does a great job with beetles and obviously a fellow forum member.

I’m not big on taxidermy so I did a throw rug with one of my winter goats and it hangs out in my office. Just about anyone could do a throw for ya.

As someone who has not drawn a tag going all in for 8 years now, you can GFY with that chugach sheep and Kenai goat within a few years! Good luck
Haha, on top of having some good luck on caribou and drawing again I have received some serious hate from my hunting buddies. Might be hunting solo for awhile.

I like that rug, might consider doing something like that.

Catchfish

WKR
Congrats on the tag I’m also jealous get tired of driving around and camping and looking at goats all the time that I can’t seem to draw a tag for. I live down I kenai would be interested to know what tag you got and when your going.