Kenai Ultra vs Atom LT

Samazing

FNG
The other day I was playing dress up and found that my Arc’teryx Atom LT fit very comfortably under my Kuiu Rubicon shell. I decided to try this setup on while climbing a mountain in freezing temperatures with strong wind and wet snow. It worked better than anything else I’ve tried in terms of comfort and temperature regulation, and now I’m thinking of ditching my Kuiu fleece and hybrid mid-layers and picking up a hunting specific Atom LT. But the Atom is a little noisy, especially the hood, and delicate, so I’m eyeballing the Kenai Ultra. Can anyone with experience with both the Atom and Kuiu’s Kenai Ultra compare them as mid-layers in active, freezing conditions?

Thanks for your help!

The Proton LT is a better Arc’teryx piece for active insulation. It should be quieter as well.
I personally don’t see the purpose of a hood for a mid layer, unless you plan to use it as outerwear as well.

IDK anything about the Kuiu, but you could get the Holy Grail of active insulation (Patagonia Nano Air) for less. A much cheaper option that I have and love is the TNF Ventrix.

OP
Samazing

Samazing

FNG
I’m aware of the Proton but I like the Atom because I’m often moving slowly, and it’s decent static insulation under a shell. So for me it’s a more useful piece. It’s also cheaper.
I guess I’m mainly concerned with fit. Arc’teryx seems to disappear. I don’t even think about it, but with every other brand there’s something: tight in the shoulders, funky cuffs, etc.
If the Kenai performs like the Atom, and it fits comfortably, I would go that direction because it’s purpose built for hunting and will probably hold up better, but it definitely has competition in the Atom. I wish I had the funds for all of them.

6.5x284

WKR
I prefer Kenai Ultra to the Patagonia Nano Air (gen 1) and Atom LT as a mid layer. The Kenai pit zips allows it to shed heat better than the other 2. Best mid layer you can buy buy IMHO. I love it over a Merino base and under a rain shell. I run it under my Arcteryx Alpha SV as well and love the combo.

Edit: I had to return my Kenai Ultra L for a XL to fit the way I like. It was just a little snug in the armpits. I run a Large for the Atom LT and Alpha SV.

Austink47

WKR
I have both. I like the cut of the atom better for layering, it is snugger, with less bulky insulation, and packs down smaller. I have an older kenai ultra jacket so it may have changed, but it is quieter, warmer, and has nice pit zips. Tough choice, I like them both, but overall I would take the atom.

OP
Samazing

Samazing

FNG
I have both. I like the cut of the atom better for layering, it is snugger, with less bulky insulation, and packs down smaller. I have an older kenai ultra jacket so it may have changed, but it is quieter, warmer, and has nice pit zips. Tough choice, I like them both, but overall I would take the atom.
Huge thanks! This is the kind of answer I was looking for.

Kostrize

WKR

How does the loft degradation over time compare? Thanks!

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I've had a nano air, original kenai, and newer kenai ultra. Old Kenia was not all that trim with fit, new one is much trimmer like an arctyrex piece.

I'm really not tracking where patagonia is cheaper than kuiu. It really isn't unless you nail a patagonia sale, and typically those colors will not be anything close to earth tones.......so Patagonia nano air hoody is 60g of the same exact insulation product as Kuiu's kenai, without pit zips, and costs 299. Kenai ultra in a hoody is 219, those pit zips are sweet (I run in the winter in mine) and they actually put 80 or 90g of the material on the front of the jacket (their new website sucks and doesn't include these details like they used too.....), which I promise is noticable over a nano air - so there's value there. I really like the nano air stretch (the 2-way on the kenai isn't all that great), cuffs, collar and face fabric more (kuiu pills less though). Kuiu puts the cord locks in their short collar, and they should stop because it just degrades comfort. Collars kick ass (to me).

As to degredation - good question. I've had better luck with the active insulation holding up warmth over a traditional fiber one like primaloft - that's just me, and I have to guess there's much better studies of that on backpacking light or some other resource.

All that said, my kenai is getting a little ragged as I used it so much, and those new atom LTs look awesome - to me you grab the one that kits your use case best. When it is 30F out and you are moving all day in the mountains the kenai is awesome. Slower pace I could see the atom lt being nice, as it is such a good balance of compact, kind of breathable, all around mountain piece.

Austink47

WKR
How does the loft degradation over time compare? Thanks!
I have seen very little in the kuiu, and that is over a long time. The atom is has a thinner instillation. Also just noticed the above post, I definitely had the original kenai with the more boxy cut.

Last edited: