Kenai Ultra vs Uncompaghre vs Kelvin Lite?

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking into picking up an outer insulation piece primarily for late September archery elk, but also to function as midlayer later seasons. I also have a down puffy layer I can pack if I know it’s going to be cold. I’m wondering out of these three synthetic pieces, the Sitka Kelvin lite, Kuiu Kenai Ultra, and First Lite Uncompaghre, which one is the warmest, most quiet, and most durable. I only have experience with the Uncompaghre as I have the vest.
I imagine using this piece mostly as an outer when we stop to rest/glass to take the chill off, at camp, and also would be nice to wear it casually kicking around town.
Thanks

I use my kenai jacket from fall to winter(under another layer). I am warmer in it than my hunt partner is in his Uncompaghre and he is typically warmer than I am -- or maybe I bitch more.

I have a bunch of sitka gear, and all of it is very top shelf gucci matic, I just haven't used the kelvin.

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
Noise: I have the Kenai and it is dead silent.

Durability: I don't know about Sitka, but the Uncom and Kenai are not meant to be durable outer layers like a shell would be. You may have to baby them a bit, as with any puffy.

Warmth: I haven't worn my Kenai in colder temps yet (just got it this year) but from what I understand it is made to keep you warm while you're being active, not while being sedentary.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
Yard Candy is spot on with the noise and durability of the kenai. I can usually stay comfortable/warm for 3-4 hours while sitting in 10-15 deg. temps. This is under the guide jacket and a base layer.

OP
FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
I can always throw on my chugach rain shell if its cold and windy over the top. I am hoping one of these will be decent insulation for being stationary for a few hours if needed. Maybe I’m asking too much of it though. Sounds like kenai is best used as a silent outer while fairly active in cooler dry weather or as a midlayer piece.

HuntNTag

WKR
I’ve rocked the kuiu gear for quite a few years now. If you are sitting snd you are in those September/early October hunts, the Kenai is money. If it’s colder and you are sedentary, the super down pro is Great.

The kenai is made as active insulation and all the insulating layers you are mentioning are delicate. If you go into the later seasons, the super down pro is what I’d recommend, otherwise the kenai is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenai is active insulation as stated above, it doesn't do well when stationary un less your throwing a puffy like the uncompadre over it.

If you want a late Sept puffy to keep warm when not moving or light activity yes the sitka lite, uncompadre, kuiu sd ultra, fl brooks, there is a bunch of the light puffys out there that will work great in Sept.

Later season mid layer get a kenai or sitka kelvin active. Then put a heavy puffy over it

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
I can always throw on my chugach rain shell if its cold and windy over the top. I am hoping one of these will be decent insulation for being stationary for a few hours if needed. Maybe I’m asking too much of it though. Sounds like kenai is best used as a silent outer while fairly active in cooler dry weather or as a midlayer piece.

You have the right idea with the Hardshell, and using it over top of the Kenai should keep you warm around freezing temps while sitting. It's success will depend on what you have on your legs and head. It will have more versatility with regards to activity, breathability, moisture and temperatures floating around the freezing level. It has replaced a heavy fleece for me.

I bulk it up with a Down sweater when Im going to sit and a hardshell for wind, rain or additional heat retention.

That way I have a very versatile system, that stays light, can deal with being active, stationary, wet, dry, etc. From 15 degrees and up.

But if I am in temps consistently below 15-20 degrees then I'd bring a thicker down jacket.

OP
FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like there’s a lot of fans of the kenai ultra...can those of you who’ve also had the kuiu quilted snap shirt comment on how the kenai compares to it. I have the kuiu snap shirt which is like my daily Mr Rogers house sweater. Love that thing. I’d like to get a feel for how warm the kenai might be.

Trr15

WKR
I’m looking into picking up an outer insulation piece primarily for late September archery elk, but also to function as midlayer later seasons. I also have a down puffy layer I can pack if I know it’s going to be cold. I’m wondering out of these three synthetic pieces, the Sitka Kelvin lite, Kuiu Kenai Ultra, and First Lite Uncompaghre, which one is the warmest, most quiet, and most durable. I only have experience with the Uncompaghre as I have the vest.
I imagine using this piece mostly as an outer when we stop to rest/glass to take the chill off, at camp, and also would be nice to wear it casually kicking around town.
Thanks
I have all three of these and the only thing I’ll add to what’s already been stated is that the kelvin lite is by far the least breathable of the three. The Kenai is the most breathable. All three have their place, but I’d go with the uncompahgre if I was picking one.