Kenetreck boots

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
Hey sliders, I've been struggling on finding a solid pair of mountain boots. Just took back a set of Hanwag Alaska GTX due to too much heel slippage. Liked everything about those boots either than the fact they didn't quite fit.

Found a line on some kenetrecks I can get through a distributer up here (located in lower BC). My question is, should I be looking to the extremes, or the mountain guides? I noticed the guides have the Vibram outsole which seems to be excellent, where as the extremes have a softer sole.

I hunt in a fairly wide variety of places. Late august I usually head up to northern BC for moose, September I'm planning on a week of elk hunting in the kootney/ Rocky Mountain area. October/November I hunt mule deer in a sub desert style climate where I live. These are not easy on boots, so I'm leaving towards the Guide boot with the Vibram Outsole.

Long winded but there's a bit to consider, thanks for any advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. I thought about buying the Guide Boots, but read several reviews that although the Mountain Extremes required the necessary break-in period, the Guide boots were much more stiff, much more in the support, and took a lot longer to break-in. They were said to be extremely stiff, whereas the Mountain Extremes were much easier to break-in.

OP
HankBC

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
I love my Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. I thought about buying the Guide Boots, but read several reviews that although the Mountain Extremes required the necessary break-in period, the Guide boots were much more stiff, much more in the support, and took a lot longer to break-in. They were said to be extremely stiff, whereas the Mountain Extremes were much easier to break-in.

How long have you had yours? What's the wear like on the outsole? Is the rubber underneath still fairly hardy?

idig4au

WKR
It seems to me that Kenetrek's have a wider heel pocket that results in heel slippage. They tore my feet right up regardless of lacing technique or insole. I had both the Mt. Extreme's and the Guide boots. As mentioned the guide boots are substantially stiffer then the extremes.

If looking for a more narrow heel pocket, maybe consider La Sportiva, Zamberland or Asolo as they tend to run more narrow. I just picked up a pair Asolo Piolet's. They are a proper stiff mountaineering boot but have enough rocker to be okay on the flats.

How long have you had yours? What's the wear like on the outsole? Is the rubber underneath still fairly hardy?

I have had mine over a year, but have only worn them a limited amount after break-in. I wore them several days on my Elk hunt. The soles shows no wear, and I think at the rate I wear them, they will last forever. I have applied the Kenetrek wax several times. I think it helped the leather get softer, and probably helped them break-in a little easier.

Read1t48

WKR
I think good socks and a proper insole can help resolve the cupping issues. My Kennetrk's have held up very well. I think it is important to only use their oil or the outer rubber can delaminate. I have had zero leaks or issues and probably have 150+ miles on the boots. I am going to send them in and have them re-built once the soles wear out. I probably have another 100 miles left. Maybe more .
I hunt a lot of rough terrain with rocks so it wears them down more quickly.

OP
HankBC

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
I think good socks and a proper insole can help resolve the cupping issues. My Kennetrk's have held up very well. I think it is important to only use their oil or the outer rubber can delaminate. I have had zero leaks or issues and probably have 150+ miles on the boots. I am going to send them in and have them re-built once the soles wear out. I probably have another 100 miles left. Maybe more .
I hunt a lot of rough terrain with rocks so it wears them down more quickly.

And you're talking about the mountain extremes, not the guides? Thanks for the response.

I tried 'superfeet go' insoles in the hanwags I used. Not sure I'm convinced on them, it seems like they're too soft and squishy. I think I need something more supportive which would help.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would venture my mountain extremes have between 300-450 miles on them and they are still going strong. I used some freesole on them to seal the rand and protect it and have zero uses using obenhaufs. These boots get a 10 rating in my book.

HOT ROD

WKR
I have had good luck with asolo and zamberlands.. I have a narrow heel. I have no other boot experience than those two I mentioned...

I would venture my mountain extremes have between 300-450 miles on them and they are still going strong. I used some freesole on them to seal the rand and protect it and have zero uses using obenhaufs. These boots get a 10 rating in my book.

This has been my experience with the ui mountain extremes as well. I'm guessing I have around 400 miles in 6 years and they still haven't leaked. I condition them with Nikwax twice a year. They're on their third set of laces and the only issue I've seen so far is the laces are starting to wear through the non-leather membrane in the ankle transition area...but they still hold out water after several stream crossings this spring. I've used them almost entirely hunting in the Rockies, but they are also great for antelope and goose hunting the low lands. I have several friends who love them, but also have buddies that hate them too...so I would make sure you can wear them around your house and return them if you have heal slippage issues. If you have troubles with them I would try Crispi.

bmart2622

WKR
I have used both the Kennetrek Mtn Extreme and Hanwag Alaskan. I had the Kennetreks first and they were tough to break in, it took probably a solid 50 miles. I also got significant heel slip to the point I would just doctor up my foot before every hike. I tried a set of Synergy foot beds and the heel slip immediately went away. My hunting partner also had the same exact thing happen with him and it was also immediately fixed with Synergy foot beds. Now all of my boots get a set right out of the box.