Kenetrek boots VS. Crispi Boots?

esh5336

FNG
Looking for a boot to hold up for me here in Pennsylvania and an Elk hunting in Montana. I have run Irish Setter Elk trackers for years but want to try something different. I have a pair of non insulated Lowa Renegade GTX now. I have weak ankles. Just trying to get some input on what to purchase next? Insulated vs non-insulated?

Wyomuleskinner

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know about crispis but my kenetrek boots are the most uncomfortable bot I’ve ever worn. I replaced them with a pair of schnees and they are much more comfortable

Mosby

WKR
I have a pair of uninsulated Lowa Tibet and a pair of Lowa Tibet with 200 grain thinsulate along with several other brands of boots. Unless its hot or really cold, I use the 200 grain Lowa's most of the time in the fall. Lowas fit my feet and are comfortable for me, so they are my primary boot brand for out west.

If you want a boot for both then I would get something with some insulation but probably not more than 200 grains of insulation for out west. Insulation sucks when its hot or you are putting in several miles.

AZ8

WKR
From my experience, Crispis have a narrow toe box. I tried to make them work, but after a year of hunting under different conditions, they’re sitting in my closet collecting dust.

They may work for you, but just something to look out for.

I have had several pairs of Crispis, a few pairs of danners, a couple pairs of Hanwags, several pairs of Whites and one pair of Kenetrek Mountain extreme Non insulated. I can honestly say all boots have fit me well and I have had no issues other than durability with certain brands but I will say that boots are very specific to each person. What has worked for me has not worked for some of my friends. It is one of those things that you have to try and see what works for you. I personally would either go to the next Western Hunting Expo and try them on or go to a Sportsman's warehouse and try them on, if not then order both online and return the ones you dont like.

Have both and like both. Your foot may work better in one vs the other. I prefer uninsulated boots for most elk hunting situations. Even down into the teens my feet stay warm enough in the elk woods to not need an insulated boot. If I sit and glass and it gets cold then I start a small fire. I wear 200g pacs if the weather hits single digits or with windchill. Good luck

I have had several pairs of Crispis, a few pairs of danners, a couple pairs of Hanwags, several pairs of Whites and one pair of Kenetrek Mountain extreme Non insulated. I can honestly say all boots have fit me well and I have had no issues other than durability with certain brands but I will say that boots are very specific to each person. What has worked for me has not worked for some of my friends. It is one of those things that you have to try and see what works for you. I personally would either go to the next Western Hunting Expo and try them on or go to a Sportsman's warehouse and try them on, if not then order both online and return the ones you dont like.
I'm jealous and happy for you at the same time. :)

Azone

WKR
Out of the two brands being discussed, how do they hold up for people with wide feet? I’m a size 12E and some brands have been okay and others have caused some serious hotspots and or corns to develop on the sides of my feet. Looking to update my boots and these two brands have been mentioned to me by a couple friends.

I have moderately wide feet and the Kennetreks have been great for me. I can hike all day in rough terrain and my feet feel good at the end of the day.

My foot is a little wider and I have high arches, so volume in the boot with replacement insoles is important to me. Couple that with a boot needing very stiff soles and I'm always shopping boots.

Crispi soles have never seemed stiff enough for me. I've never left the store with a pair.

Kenetrek, the original boots were awesome years ago. I still have my originals but they are wore clear out. I had issues with the 2 replacement pair I bought. Their customer service was great and tried to make it work for me, but I finally moved on. I have been unimpressed with the perceived value in cost vs quality I've seen the last few pairs I looked at.

Zamberlan makes a great boot at a fair price, I just wish they made them in a wide last across their product line.

The Meindl boots I bought last year have had a very comfy toe box and I think they may be one of the better values in boots currently out there.

Need to find some Schnees to try myself.

I'd recommend adding Zamberlan and Meindl to your list of consideration and then purchase the ones which fit best of those on your list.

As I get older, boots are harder to fit like I want and im getting to be more picky on what I'll pay for, seems like an endless search.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Having worn two pairs of Nevadas out and one pair of extremes out….the Nevadas are much more waterproof and will provide better ankle support..the Kenetreks are stiffer, the Crispi is one of the most comfortable boots I’ve worn….the Crispi does not last as long maybe because I wear them the most…both are quality boots but Crispi gets the nod

Last edited:
From my experience, Crispis have a narrow toe box. I tried to make them work, but after a year of hunting under different conditions, they’re sitting in my closet collecting dust.

They may work for you, but just something to look out for.
Depends on the boot. Picked up a pair of the Colorado's and they have a "normal" toe box. The Briksdal's I got a couple of years prior I agree on them having a more narrow fit.

One thing I have learned is to get true to size and to not get something a 1/2 or full size bigger for heavy socks. Why the need for heavy socks? Prevent hotspots? You get hotspots (and blistering) from slippage inside your boot. With proper fit, one good pair of light hiking socks are all you need and let the boot design do the rest.

That was the mistake I made with a pair of Kennetrek's and they tore my feet up. Had I bought my true size, I'm sure I'd still be wearing them. Too late now at $400 per pair...

Last edited:

AZ8

WKR
Depends on the boot. Picked up a pair of the Colorado's and they have a "normal" toe box. The Briksdal's I got a couple of years prior I agree on them having a more narrow fit.
I had the Dakota’s. I believe they came out about 3 years ago. I also bought true to size. Felt good when I bought them, but as the miles piled on, it was apparent this boot wasn’t the best for me. It was a costly mistake as I kept thinking they’d break in.

Maybe they’ve addressed the narrow toe box fit in their newer lines.

I had the Dakota’s. I believe they came out about 3 years ago. I also bought true to size. Felt good when I bought them, but as the miles piled on, it was apparent this boot wasn’t the best for me. It was a costly mistake as I kept thinking they’d break in.

Maybe they’ve addressed the narrow toe box fit in their newer lines.
The Colorado's are a lot more comfortable. When I wear my Briksdal's, I only wear one pair of normal hiking socks. They are snug, but not too bad that way.

IAMRAJ

Lil-Rokslider
Kenetrek mountain extreme...buy once cry once

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rock-o

WKR
I tried Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400 and Crispi Hunter GTX. The Crispi was better. For my feet. I didn't try your feet. And you won't be using my feet. And we don't/won't use our boots entirely the same. I doubt this will help much.

Buy both like I did and try them out.

Last edited:
Out of the two brands being discussed, how do they hold up for people with wide feet? I’m a size 12E and some brands have been okay and others have caused some serious hotspots and or corns to develop on the sides of my feet. Looking to update my boots and these two brands have been mentioned to me by a couple friends.

i am a 12.5 or 13 EEE.

I currently own a pair of kenetrek mountain extremes and 3 pair of crispis - I Idaho and 2 Thors. All in 13 wide. Run them with green super feet insoles.

the Kennys work for me in the toe box and are good boots. Probably overkill for most of my hunting but I use them when things get cold. They are very stiff And took some breaking in.

Crispis really works for me. my crispis get the nod for best out of the box comfort of any boot I have worn in over 20 years. I find the toe box on the 13 wide fine. I tried a 12.5 wide and it didn’t work. I have worn my Thor’s from the grand Canyon to the high sierras to yellow stone and they are my go to for mid weight backpacking and lighter hunts. I like the taller Idaho on occasion for more ankle support and the ability to hit a puddle without getting wet, but I am not sure I would by them again. They are comparatively heavy and not much more supportive than my Thor’s. I will probably add a set of insulated Nevada’s to the stable next as a mid range boot and if I ever wore out those kenetreks I would look to replace them with a Crispi wild rock.

@Ross is always worth listening to when it comes to boots! I've shied away from Crispis, but if he says they're good I'll look again.

I will add that Kenetreks fit me better than any other boot I've tried so far. Which is a bummer. I think Zamberlans are easily the best built boot I've handled just from a construction perspective, and I've tried to like mine for 5 years now. They're great boots, and still don't leak, but they don't fit me quite right. The Kenetreks do, and I have a feeling they're going to be my main boot going forward.

FNG
I have seen both brands fail in the field. Everyone’s feet are so different it’s hard to recommend which is better. My partner weighs 230 and goes through boots like crazy. That makes a big difference. Myself, I have had the same pair of Scarpa boots for 4-5 years.
But of the two your looking at I would go with Crispi.