Kenetrek Break in / Boot advice

Breaking in a pair right now. Many hours indoors around the house and 5 easy miles is all have on them now. It's way to early to offer any real insight, but I plan on giving them a better workout Friday. I personally don't like boots this stiff, but they prevent pain in my toe joint from an injury, so it's the lesser of two evils.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
I've been wearing them every day to work since I started this thread. I have to say I can feel them breaking in and softening up. No where near as stiff as when new. I'm on my feet, up and down ladders up and down on my knees all day.

I haven't taken them back to the hills yet but I will soon.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Benjblt

WKR
My first high-end hunting boots were Mountain Extremes. They are simply the best feeling boots on my feet there are. I generally use a liner sock with a thicker merino wool sock. I didn't even break them in and went into really steep country and did fine. They just fit my feet and I really believe the two sock system works if your boot is the right size. I will say that some have mentioned the Hardscrabble and, seperatly, loose lacing. I would agree that loose lacing can work. I've never cinched down my Kenny's very super tight. I think that's part of my accidental success with the boots. I later tried the hardscrabbles and couldn't get them to feel right no my foot. It wasn't so much blisters but more the fact that I didn't feel the support I did in the Extremes. I found myself trying to cinch down the Hardscrabbles much more. The conclusion I came to is that the taller boot lets you get away with looser lacing. Ultametly I think they provide more versatility in that way.

I gave them a fair chance, but I could never get my heal to tighten up and they were one of those shoes I couldn't wait to get off my feet. Just weren't for me.

Last edited:

Rokwiia

WKR
I bought a pair of the Kenetrek Hardscrabble. They felt like I was wearing two cinder blocks on my feet. Sent them back and ordered a pair of Schnee Absaroka and Timberline. Both felt comfortable from the moment I put them on and I kept them. YMMV

I had foot issues for years, kept trying different boots $180-$240 which were fairly hi end 20-30 years ago. Never could find one that would not blister up my feet, but needed a good boot to hunt Rockies off trail. Finally about 6 years ago got some Kenetrek Mountain Extremes and worked on break in on treadmill daily.

One thing I learned that over the years my feet flatten out and I needed a 1/2 size larger boot than I did as a you guy. made a big difference.

I did not have any issues on my first two trips to the Rockies but those strips I did not have a tag, so helped set up tent camp and spot from the top, never really did much steep hiking. Last year got a tag in less steep area but did some off trail and lots of on trail and started getting the heal slip and blisters On day 4-5 and doing a lot of hiking. Think I will look into the insoles, not lace as tight, and socks. one thing that might be different is that I added high arch support for planters fasciitis, maybe that contributed. Thanks for the advice, will change it up this year. Will be settting up camp for the next few years until I get enough points to go draw a tag. Might be 67 before Inget my next draw, not sure how much off trail I’ll be able to do then. I got to visit the heart doctor next week, enjoy It while your young!

Brooks

WKR
I live in, hunt in and guide in some of the steepest, roughest country in NM. I bought a pair of Kenetrak Mt extreams off the internet and some Darn Tough socks. Got them and rubbed some waterproofing all over them and never looked back. Went elk hunting with them on day one and they felt as good that day as they do now. No blisters, feet stayed warm and dry…packed out several elk with them on, ride horses with them in the mts… no problems at all. I wanted another pair of Lowa Tibet GTX but couldn’t find my size fast enough so I tried the Kenetraks. Both real good boots IMO.

gaswamp

FNG
Wth the Mountain extremes in regards to those that are wearing a liner and midweight to heavy merino sock....Do you find that you have to go up a half to one full size in the boot?

Husky87

FNG
Wth the Mountain extremes in regards to those that are wearing a liner and midweight to heavy merino sock....Do you find that you have to go up a half to one full size in the boot?
I currently have the Mountain Extremes in a 400, and I am religiously a 12 in pretty much everything. They felt a touch tight initially but after breaking them in they feel good. If I were to get the 1000, I think I will initially try a 13, considering the half sizes stop, just to see if that added extra room helps air flow and aids with warmth. Don't know if that is a logical justification or helps you in any way.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
I wanted to update this thread after s month of hunting in my Mountain Extremes.

As per my original post I was suffering heel blisters while going up steep stuff.

After reading the advice in this thread I did a couple of things different.

1. I don't lace the boots super tight. These are stiff boots and don't need to be tied super tight. I put my foot on the ground get on one knee and bend my knee forward about in line with the toe of my boot
and lace them snug. This leaves me with laces tight enough but not too tight. This prevented the boot from digging into my heel when hiking steep.

2. I apply Leuko tape to my heels before heading to the mountain.

3. I wear a good quality wool sock. Farm to Feet at the moment.

I've put well over 100 miles on these boots in the Wyoming mountains hunting elk and have had zero issue applying these 3 steps. When I get back to camp my I have no interest in taking my boots off. They are just so comfortable.

So in the end the boots worked out for me and I couldn't be happier with them. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
Just bought some new Crispi's. Great advice in this thread for breaking in. Thanks all.