Kenetrek for Bad Ankles? 400 or 1000?

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I have trick ankles...sprained each one more than once between high school sports and college stupidity.....now almost 40 yrs old, they have a tendency to just give out when I am doing random things. Being flat footed probably doesn't help either.

Due to my ankles, I am wanting a high boot, and one that is stiff.

I am looking at the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. Thoughts? If not those, do you recommend an alternative?

Also, I will be hunting in the Mackenzie Mountains (NWT) at the end of Aug/beginning of Sept.....on the insulation, would you recommend the 400 or 1000?

TIA

GKPrice

Banned
I have trick ankles...sprained each one more than once between high school sports and college stupidity.....now almost 40 yrs old, they have a tendency to just give out when I am doing random things. Being flat footed probably doesn't help either.

Due to my ankles, I am wanting a high boot, and one that is stiff.

I am looking at the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. Thoughts? If not those, do you recommend an alternative?

Also, I will be hunting in the Mackenzie Mountains (NWT) at the end of Aug/beginning of Sept.....on the insulation, would you recommend the 400 or 1000?

TIA

Crispi and Lowa are great boots too - don't forget to switch out for good insoles, no boots that I know of come with insoles worth shit - good laces are also a big help when cinching boot tops tight enough (sometimes) A couple of guys here have taken lacing to the next level and it sounds like it has great merit for problem ankles

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
I have fairly bad ankles as well and am trying out a pair of kenetrek mountain extremes. So far they seem to be great! I went with the uninsulated version and hunt from end of august to December. Should just be able to adjust with socks but time will tell. If I wear an insulated boot my feet just sweat and then end up cold anyways, so think on that before you buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever you end up with I would pick a pair soon and start breaking them in. My kenetreks took some time to break in

WParent

FNG
I Agree with Nickziegler. You'll want to break them by putting in at least around 50 miles plus before going on a extended trip. Kenetrek boots are great and I also have weak ankles which require extra support the 10" Kenetrek boots are good for this. I have 400 and they work well in all weather that I've encountered. They also make great socks and Under-linears I wear the liners all the time and depending on the weather I'll add the appropriate outer sock for warmth. The newer Kenetreks come with good insoles but KPRice has a great point. Insoles are critical and each persons needs are different. This is were your experience comes in... Myself I try to avoid gel types or anywhere were my feek can move to much in the boot. But that's me. Good Luck

mcseal2

WKR
I have the same issue. I use un-insulated Kennetrek Mountain Extreme boots for most of my hunting. I also have Cabelas Meindl Alaskan Guide boots with 200gram insulation that work well. If I'm walking much all more insulation does is make my feet sweat worse.

Hey Doc,you might also check out our Everstep series of boots. They're a bit more expensive, but have built-in/removable ankle supports for folks with really bad ankles. Also, as far as insulation goes, I'd probably recommend the 400s for that type of hunt. You could even get away with the Non-Insulated boots and be just fine. 1000s will likely be way too hot.

Hope this helps. -Wyatt @ Kenetrek

I really like my uninsulated Kennies. They are plenty warm even into the late season. The support is good too. Aftermarket insoles are money. These are my first high end boots so I can't compare them to anything besides Asolos or cheapos. But I'd definitely not get insulated. Just adjust your socks for the weather.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk