Kenetrek Guide Ultra vs Everstep - Now a review of the Guide Ultra

(NOP)

FNG
I am getting ready to order a pair of boots. Just wanted to check and see if anybody had a comparison between these two. I have terrible ankles. So the ankle supports are what I'm looking for.

I tried on a pair of Mountain Extremes and they fit well. Support wasn't what I needed. Unfortunately they didn't stock any other boots. But I'm fairly confident that I'll be happy with whatever I go with.

OP
N

(NOP)

FNG
Great boots if you have the patience to break them in.
Thanks for the reply, which do you have guides or everstep? Planning on placing an order today.

I plan on breaking them in for roughly a month before I have a 9 day+ SD mule deer hunt at the end of November.

I've also been fighting planters facetious, which has led to knee pain. All that leads me towards the everstep. But I keep reading how the guides are a better overall boot.

OP
N

(NOP)

FNG
I ended up buying the Guide Ultra. Long story short they saved my hunting season.

I spent the month of October breaking them in. I feel like it took about 30 miles to break them in, but they were comfortable out of the box. As far as initial fit goes, I couldn't feel a difference between the Mountain Extremes I tried on at a store and the Guides I ordered.

The ankle support system is a life changer. I have really, really bad ankles. I don't sprain them any more but I can lose my footing stepping on the edge of a rug (not kidding). I just completed a 7 day SD rifle hunt. Logged 60+ miles in the snow, mud, gravel, grass, ankle deep streams, and relatively steep terrain for SD. The boots kept my feet relatively dry. I think any dampness I felt was from sweating. Get only got cold while doing long glassing sessions. I did wear a pair of gaitors that helped keep things dry. I also got a few hot spots, but I have weak skin on my feet and that was to be expected. A little tape at first warning and I was good to go.

Last year I took a couple of spills that honestly scared me. For the first time in my life (at least since high-school football which messed my ankles up) I was able to walk around like a normal person. Not one time did I lose my footing due to my complete lack of ankle strength. Again not one time, I usually roll my ankles at least once a week on carpet.

I am thoroughly impressed with these boots. As i said in the intro they saved my hunting season.

I couldn't find any reviews on this particular model. Hopefully my experience helps someone else.

OP
N

(NOP)

FNG
One more thing I have been fighting planters facetious in my left foot. For me these boots and insoles really help. On day 4 or 5 I had moment at about 4pm that I realized I hadn't thought about my foot all day. Granted it still bugged me, but for brief moment when it mattered most, I was temporarily cured.