Kenetrek Hardscrabble thoughts..

Gapmaster

WKR
Looking at getting some new boots for elk season. I’ve always worn Irishsetter but looking for more support with heavier packs. Was thinking of trying the Hardscrabble. Any thoughts???

MHWASH

WKR
I’ve had my Hardscrabbles 4-5 years. They’ve been great boots, with the exception of the sole. When the snow conditions are just right, the snow seems to stick to the sole and build up. I’ve used my boots on several backpack hunts with no complaints, but haven’t carried any real heavy loads.

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
I've had about every Irish Setter boot made over the last 15 years. I always thought they made an "ok" boot however, they dont compare to the Hardscrabbles. I wear my Hardscrabbles from mid fall to early spring, hunting, hiking, fishing and even every day use. I'm very pleased with them. I use their Mountain Extremes for hunting as well. The more you wear them, the better they fit and feel. Great ankle support and the sole will be completely different than what you're used to. Give them a try!

OP
Gapmaster

Gapmaster

WKR
Thanks for the input guys. My mind is pretty well made up. Just good to hear real world opinions. Looking forward to getting a pair and putting them to the test in the West Elks this fall

I have a pair of Hardscrabbles and I sprained my ankle severely wearing them while on a rifle mule deer hunt a few years ago. What’s worse, I had a big buck down and was faced with a 2 mile pack out through some very tough country. Luckily I had a buddy with me to help me get the deer out. My ankle took years to recover and probably still isn’t quite 100% after several years. I will never ever hunt in these boots again. I have a pair of Mountain Emtremes that have good ankle support though and I really like those boots.

Wyomuleskinner

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair I bought this fall. I hate them, very uncomfortable. I’m going to try a lathrop and sons footbed to see if that helps. I wouldn’t buy another pair. If I can wear these long enough to wear them out I going to try some schnees. I’ve had great luck with Salomon boots but they don’t last even one year for me.

Kvan-mt

FNG
I've owned a pair for a couple years now and love them. They are my go to boot until the snow starts getting deep and then I switch to the mountain extremes. I've never had any issues with kenetrek boots but everyone has different feet. I have one friend who used to wear kenetrek and he made the jump over to the Crispi Nevadas and says he wishes he would have switched sooner. My suggestion would be to go try a pair on and walk around for a bit.