Kenetrek HardScrabble

Rokwiia

WKR
I've never owned a Kenetrek before and is there isn't a store within a 2 hour drive that carries them to try them on, so I'm at a disadvantage. I'm considering the HardScrabble for a hiking boot. I called Kenetrek and was told it was smooth, full-grain leather. The picture on their website looks like brushed leather. I've also included a link to a Zamberlan boot that is smooth full grain and it does not look anything like the HardScrabble.

https://kenetrek.com/collections/hiking-boots/products/hardscrabble-hiker

https://www.zamberlanusa.com/produc...men-s-norwegian-welt-hiking-boots-waxed-brick

I have a few questions for Kenetrek boot owners:

1) Does anyone know whether it is a brushed or smooth leather?

2) Does Kenetrek size run true or do they run smaller or larger?

3) Should I expect a long or short break-in period?

Thanks in advance.

amassi

WKR
1-smooth
2- yes
3- not long at all, normally a day around the house and some dog walks and they're rocking

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
On my mountain extremes, I would call it a smooth leather. I immediately put their wax on mine and have been since many many times over. I normally wear a 10.5/11...my Kenetreks are 11.5
I put about 60mi on them before wearing them on the first hunt and I felt like they were sufficiently broken in. They honestly just keep getting better. I waited a long time before I spent the money but I wish I did it sooner. They are by far my favorite boot

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
Kenetrek shows the HardScrabble in narrow, medium, and wide. I don't have access to a brannock device to measure width properly. I tried to use their schematic that you print out and stand on but it was confusing.

How did you determine which of the three width options would fit you best?

Last edited:

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
Do they call you Shoeless Joe back home? :)
I’ve determined, over the course of my life, that I have medium width feet. I ordered medium Kenetrek boots, in my normal size, and they fit great.

They are smooth, fit to size, although consider going up half a size if you are wearing thick, wool socks for late season & they do take some time to break in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easttex

Lil-Rokslider
I have had Hardscrabbles and Desert Guides. The Hardscrabbles required much less break in.

They are great boots, however, I have had lots of issues with the rand on Kenetrek. More so than any other boot I own. With that said they are very comfortable boot.

They could be fixed but it was not covered by warranty. Kenetrek said they must of gotten too hot from fire and the rand shrunk. This was not the case. I only used my hardscrabble for backpacking high country deer hunts, and I never build a fire when I do these types of hunts. If I remember correctly the cost to have them fixed was in the $200.00+ range. My mountain extremes have done the same thing but I was prepared and have been using shoe goo to slow the separation.

I believe Kenetrek could really improve on these boots by putting a double/ triple Kevlar stitch to hold the rand to the boot. Just my two cents.

Vids

WKR
To answer your questions:
1. Smooth
2. True to size
3. Long break in for me, dealt with heel blisters for a year or two.

I bought a pair of Mountain Extremes in 2012, have used them enough to where the lugs on the sole were worn smooth last year. The uppers were still in fantastic shape so I spent the $125 or so to have them re-soled. My best move ever, I may get another 5-10 years out of them. It's like having brand new boots that are perfectly broken in. My favorite October elk boot by far, like the poster above said they get better over time. I can hike 10+ miles a day and my feet feel fresh when I get back to camp.

I bought Hardscrabbles last year for September archery hunts and it seems the break in period is shorter. With less miles than the Mountain Extremes, I have hiked some 14ers this summer with them and have minimal blistering issues.

My Mountain Extremes are standard width, but I've found as I get older my feet are getting a little wider so I bought the wide version of the Hardscrabbles. My issue is my foot is pretty wide right at the base of my toes, but normal elsewhere. I'm really happy with the wide version, I have room for the front of my foot but have minimal slippage.

Kenetrek gets some bad press due to the break in period, but I've found they are incredibly comfortable and tough boots. No matter what boots you get, I highly recommend you ditch the insoles they come with and get better insoles. I use Superfeet green and Sofsole insoles, switching back and forth.