Kenetrek ME heel slip

Oldffemt

WKR
Got a pair as new from the classifieds here. I have approx 15 miles on them with about half that being trail miles. They feel perfect when I’m at work/on pavement but the minute I hit the trail I get slippage. I’ve tried lacing them as recommended by kenetrek and no change. Am I just sol or is there something else I can do? I really want to love these boots and I’m willing to keep dealing with the quarter size blisters for now if they will stop eating my feet at some point before hunting season. FYI I don’t have bitch feet. I wear construction boots every day and can’t remember ever having blisters.
Any input is appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff

DWhitt

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair and I still have a bit of heel slip. I have over 15-20 miles on them. I have waxed mine twice with the kenetrek wax which helped mine break in a bit quicker. My problem was they were tight on my upper mid foot but that has gotten better the last 5 miles or so.

OP
O

Oldffemt

WKR
I soaked mine with mink oil pretty good before I ever wore them. Maybe I’ll hit them again and try some different socks. Good to hear yours are getting better.

JDZ

WKR
Well, as far as Kenetrek is concerned, if you used mink oil on them, you're SOL either way.

Not sure how they say to lace them, but I lace tight for the first two loops at the toe. Then surgeon knot. Moderate over the forefoot to the locking lace. Loose from the locking lace to the first speed hook. Then another surgeon knot. Then tight as is comfortable to the top.

But mine fit like a dream from brand new.

Jbehredt

WKR
Mine took a full 50 miles to completely break in. If you’re getting blisters in 7 trail miles though you’re probably too far off to simply “break in”.

MtnMuley

WKR
I've been through 6 pairs of ME's. They were the best boot I've ever owned until they decided true customer service meant nothing. The last pair I bought had heal slip with the left boot. Quarter sized blisters like mentioned above. All Kenetrek wanted to do was tell me that I had the wrong size or send them back and they would stretch the heal which made no sense to me since the heal was already stretched causing the damn issue. I demanded a new pair and they wouldn't budge, so I sent them back and had them stretched. Immediately went and pushed their limits once I got them back and got a blister. In the mean time I'd bought my second pair of Crispi's and had a slight separation of the rand from the leather. Called Crispi and they offered me a new pair sent out the next day. I told them that wasn't necessary and how I should seal it up to their specs. He insisted he send me a prepaid label to send them back for them to fix then since I refused a new pair. I sent them off. A week later I had a fixed pair of boots at no charge. Kenetrek even made me pay shipping to get them their defective "new" boots to them to try to fix them. Happy to say I'd highly recommend giving Crispi a try, because integrity builds a solid reputation and Crispi definately has that.

When i got mine they were doing the same thing so i called Kenetrek. They were great to deal with. They told me i needed to give them the full 50 mile break in. They said if i still had heal slip after 50 miles to call them and they would have me send them back snd they would have their cobblers customize them to my feet. The heal slip did go away after the 50 mile break in. They went over how to make sure they were the right size for me first. I think you should call them. They were the best to deal with for me and now the most comfortable boots i have ever owned.

OP
O

Oldffemt

WKR
I will try calling them. It can’t hurt. JDZ, why sol on the mink oil? Warranty issues? Truthfully, I never bothered to look at the warranty since I didn’t buy them new but mink oil has worked great for me for years. I’ll let you know what the outcome is once I’ve talked to Kenetrek.
Thanks,
Jeff

OP
O

Oldffemt

WKR
Good to know. Wish I’d asked 2 weeks ago. I’ll still call. Worst they can do is hang up.

Benjblt

WKR
I've been through 6 pairs of ME's. They were the best boot I've ever owned until they decided true customer service meant nothing. The last pair I bought had heal slip with the left boot. Quarter sized blisters like mentioned above. All Kenetrek wanted to do was tell me that I had the wrong size or send them back and they would stretch the heal which made no sense to me since the heal was already stretched causing the damn issue. I demanded a new pair and they wouldn't budge, so I sent them back and had them stretched. Immediately went and pushed their limits once I got them back and got a blister. In the mean time I'd bought my second pair of Crispi's and had a slight separation of the rand from the leather. Called Crispi and they offered me a new pair sent out the next day. I told them that wasn't necessary and how I should seal it up to their specs. He insisted he send me a prepaid label to send them back for them to fix then since I refused a new pair. I sent them off. A week later I had a fixed pair of boots at no charge. Kenetrek even made me pay shipping to get them their defective "new" boots to them to try to fix them. Happy to say I'd highly recommend giving Crispi a try, because integrity builds a solid reputation and Crispi definately has that.
This is an honest question; how is heal slip Kenetrek's problem? Why would your foot slip in this particular pair and not the others? It doesn't seem like there a re any boot manufacturers that would replace a boot because someone's heel is slipping but maybe I'm wrong.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
O

Oldffemt

WKR
Decided to give these boots to my brother. He’ll get more use out of them than I would and has slightly bigger feet.

Kenetrek ME: I had some heel slip with the original insoles which were too aggressive for my feet and they hurt my arch. I called Kenetrek and they sent me new insoles which were less aggressive (no charge, no shipping). The flatter insoles worked very well for me. I have narrow heals, is what it is, so heel slipping is not new for me. I use KT tape on my heels, in place of duct tape, which helps a lot. With these adjustments, I have no or minimal heel slip, no blisters, and I am very happy with these boots.

Well, I guess I would file this under why I will never buy used boots. I figure that the boots will mould to my feet and then no issues.

The Kenetrek Mountain Extremes are by far the best boot I have ever worn. I laced them up and hiked straight up a mountain, mountaineering style, 1,800 feet of climbing. No issues at all. Used their boot wax twice, have been on about 50 hikes so far since last fall.

My thoughts regarding lack of proper boat fit is that the Kenetreks do not fit everyone and you have to try them out if you can. I have had a lot of trouble in the past fitting other boots. I have a low volume medium width foot and so extra thick sucks with Superfeet innersoles really make this a working boot for me.

Just my two cents.

I have the same issue on one foot and thought the same as another post, how is this kenetreks problem? But after looking at this I thought I should ask also. They are sending insoles and a heel patch of some sort. They said to wear it and if it works I can send the boots in and put some padding under the tongue all free of charge. I suppose just because of my low volume foot. Very impressed with the customer service! Above and beyond in my opinion.

OP
O

Oldffemt

WKR
The Kene’s are working out well for my brother, they just didn’t work for my feet. I ordered a pair of Scarpa kinesis pro gtx from blackovis today. Should have them next week.

Anozira

WKR
Leukotape on your heels will help protect from forming a blister while wearing them to break them in.

That leukotape is incredible stuff. I thought I could go from a November elk hunt to late Feburary Javelina hunt without conditioning my feet and that was a big mistake on my part. I ended up with some silver dollar sized blisters on my heals and I was sure my hunt was going to be over. A buddy pulled some leukotape out and fixed me up. I ordered a two pack as soon as I got home.