Kenetrek Mountain Extreme initial review

Hello, I bought these uninsulated boots in a size 16 as i have found out that most European boots run a size smaller than boots made elsewhere. I really like the boots and for a big person taller than 6'6" and 270 lbs, i want all the support i can get when hiking the mtns of Western Colorado next month. The break in is going ok, but not great. I am getting hot spots on the back part of my foot/Achilles area. Overall, i am glad i got 16 as they fit good and the 15s were too small. I tried the Schnees and their 15s were too small (dont make 16s). I did also try the Lowa Tibets. They actually fit better, but i like the high ankle support and i got such a killer deal on GovX it was a no brainer.

Besides wearing them all the time, any other ideas on how best to break them in? Does anyone have recommendation on the best wool or wool blend boot sox that would fit a size 15/15 tall boot like Mtn. Extremes.

I need to buy a second pair of boots but dont have the same budget. With support and comfort being important, what are there any Danner or Irish Setter elk boots that are comfortable and do the job of support without breaking the bank?

skeptic

FNG
My Mtn Extremes are amazing, my favorite boot. Mine were comfortable even through break in, now they fit like a glove. A couple of things:

1. Try wearing Leukotape blister tape prophylactically while you are breaking them in. Sold on Amazon.
2. Try using your google fu to look up the "heel lock" lacing method.

I had an issue with heel movement in some Hardscrabbles and the heel lock method definitely helped. Those boots never really worked out for me, but the two things above helped.

broeske7

FNG
Love my Kennetreks!
Best leather boot around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2hunde

FNG
I love my Kenetrek Mountain 400's. Walked around in the Alaskan tundra for 10 days and I was dry the entire time.