Kenetrek mountain extreme

Alright guys so I am looking into the kenetrek mountain extremes.

I do a lot of tree stand hunting in the north east so I would think 400s for insulation. But then at the same time I do a lot of hiking and early season so I am thinking uninsulated.

I plan on doing some hunting out west in the near future. Would 400s be to warm for your elk and mule hunts? I think so right?

what do you guys think?

also how do they run size wise. I wear mostly 9.5 but from time to time some shoes I wear a ten . Would I be ok with 9.5s or size up to 10?

OP
F
You have no issues even with a thick sock in the true to size .

also is the medium width the same asa standard width?

OP
F
Ok thanks . Now go with the 400s so I can use them in the stand or insulted and risk cold feet.

Lawnboi

WKR
Might help to say when and where your hunting. Big difference between a late season hunt, and an early archery hunt

It needs to be pretty cold for me to want insulation on a mainly walking boot for out west.

OP
F
Currently hunting north East. Get real cold into the teens late season. In a stand

but I in the near future am going to start going out west to hunt as I now have family moved out there. Figured I could get a boot that I could utilize both.

The Mt extreme uninsulated is my favorite boot, but I would buy a mountain boot and a stand boot if I were you. Depending how much you sweat, an insulated boot in the mountains will render your feet soft and susceptible to blisters. Sweaty feet freeze faster once you stop hiking too. I've never sat in a stand so the closest I can imagine is hunting geese out of a layout blind. I always wear my insulated pac boots in those stationary cold hunts.
If you haven't already worn a pair of kenetreks I would also highly recommend making sure they fit your foot type...they seem like people either love them or hate them. Try them with an insole too as not to many people seem to care for the factory insole. I love mine and can't speak highly enough of them, but they also fit my feet perfect after break-in with a superfeet insole. Best of luck!

OP
F
I kind of figured I would have to buy two pairs. Which is fine I maybe would buy the insulated now and the uninsulated down the line for when I go out west.

I have tried 3 different pairs of crispi Nevada’s bc of all the great reviews but they just didn’t fit my feet it was such a let down. The heel area didn’t feel right and neither did inside where the rand was stitched. So now I am onto trying to kenetreks.

Kenetrek makes a 1000 gram insulated boot, which might work better for stand hunting in the cold. I would opt for a different boot for more walking, like the "out West in the future hunt" which I would suggest the Non Insulated, or 400 gram insulated.

keller

WKR
I wear med weight socks. med width is standard. I wear the 400's early and mid season. I'm from wi late season I have some lacrosse 2000 grams I wear.for stand hunting ice fishing.
You have no issues even with a thick sock in the true to size .

also is the medium width the same asa standard width?

Benjblt

WKR
I think the kenetrek ME are a waste for just tree stand hunting. I'd get the 1000 gram boots though if you are hunting in a tree stand. I'd look at the pack boots for the tree stand and then if you are going to get two pairs get the non insulated mountain extremes or some other boot.

For me, I don't think I've ever had a boot that fits me more perfectly and true to size. You can definitely fit some heavier socks in there even still.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RazzleDazzle

Lil-Rokslider
I think the kenetrek ME are a waste for just tree stand hunting. I'd get the 1000 gram boots though if you are hunting in a tree stand. I'd look at the pack boots for the tree stand and then if you are going to get two pairs get the non insulated mountain extremes or some other boot.

For me, I don't think I've ever had a boot that fits me more perfectly and true to size. You can definitely fit some heavier socks in there even still.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
X2. ^^^^ Mountaneering style boots are not neccessary in this situation. But you are the one who decides that. Personally, I feel like the amount of money to spend on the ME's could be spent usefully elsewhere for a stand hunter. While also finding a better suited boot for your environment.

Pathfinder27

Lil-Rokslider
I spent some time on the phone with Kenetrek this morning before ordering the ME 400 for an upcoming Alaska hunt. I wear a 9 in every pair of shoes and boots I own. I was surprised to find that with my hunting sock setup and measurements that I needed a 10.5 in these. I’m a little anxious about that and we’ll see how they fit when they show up. I’ll have some time to try some insole and sock combinations and if they do t fit right then I’ll return them for a smaller size.

Jimss

WKR
I live in Colo and work outside year round. I have never warn insulated boots even in the winter. I'm usually active and can see how insulated boots would help in extreme weather sitting in a treestand. If the weather gets super cold I sometimes add a thicker sock. I buy my boots 1 size larger to compensate for thicker socks and replacement insoles that offer more padding.

I know there are probably some Kenetrek lovers on this post and hopefully I don't affend them! I tried a pair of Mtn Extremes and returned them the day after I tried them. They have thick soles and heels. I felt like I was on stilts on steep terrain and stumbled all over the place. My preference is mid weight/height hiking boots. They are lighter weight and I really don't like tall leather boots around my ankles. I sheep and mtn goat hunt on a regular basis and still don't like stiff, heavy boots. It's also nearly impossible to stalk game quietly with that style of boot.

Everyone is a little different and what works more my particular feet and my style of hunting may not work for you.