Kenetrek Mountain Extremes

tshunter

FNG
I struggled between getting the Schnee’s Granite boots and the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. I chose the Kenetreks because they were available to try on, and I would have to guess the size of the Schnee’s. Yesterday I wore the Kenetreks for the first time. I hiked a little over 12 miles through the mud and slop. I was actually quite impressed with them. They felt like they were already broken in for my foot.

Your break in experience is better than mine then lol. First time I wore mine was a shift I worked at scheels (use to do part time work there) I hade to go into Backstock every 30 min and take them off because they hurt my feet so bad. Now that they are broken in I love them.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

ORfish

Lil-Rokslider
I had broken them in on treadmill walking with a loaded pack, but was not needed. The Kenetreks were good from day 1 out of the box.

WyoChris

FNG
Sounds like you guys lucked out on the break in. Mine took some miles to get really comfortable and I had to watch for blisters on my heels.

I love my Kenetrek Extremes but it did take quite a few miles to break them in. If I had walked 12 miles in the the first day, I would have been layed up for a week.

OP
T

tshunter

FNG
I have over 50 miles in them and they fit great since I first tried them on. After walking through wet grass for several hours they soaked through. I was very disappointed.

jherald

WKR
I started wearing Kenetrek a few years ago and they became a go to boot for me for all around use. The break in time on average is a few weeks for me, Mountain Extreme 400 boot. They seem to have a generous toe box compared to a lot of other brands for my specific foot shape.

Vandal 44

WKR
Kenetrek Boots fit my feet very well, I had no issues with them right out of the box. I think the thing people get into foot issues with Kenetrek is they don't sized correctly. I tried a size 12 medium and 12 narrow when I was at Kenetrek in Bozeman, MT. The 12 narrow fit great with 0 issues

They’re both great boots, I bought both because I couldn’t decide on one. After about 1,000 miles in the Kenetreks and 100 in the Schnees I’m not sure there’s any bad to say about either one.

gumbl3

WKR
I have over 50 miles in them and they fit great since I first tried them on. After walking through wet grass for several hours they soaked through. I was very disappointed.
Have you waxed them? Have to keep up with the conditioning to maintain the waterproofing

TrailDog

FNG
I have worn Kenetrek Extremes for about a decade, hunting and winter logging. Treat them with Obenaufs Heavy Duty LP wax/oil. Never had wet or cold feet, wore the Mountain Extreme 1000g for a while, but they were limited during our Montana hunting season (feet got too hot!) so switched it up to the Mountain Guide 400g, a much better option for 99% of my use.

In regards to walking through wet grass for several hours...I don't know of a boot that would stand up to that. Even Muck Boots get saturated at some point. I recently was on a high-alpine mule deer hunt in the pouring rain, and yea, my feet were damp after 6 hours, but not uncomfortable or cold. That's just hunting. Everyone in camp had damp boots, Crispi, Lowa, Kenetrek, doesn't really matter.

Just got the mountain extremes for a CO elk hunt. Excited to see how they hold up for the feet. Breaking em in now.

All boots will eventually lose their waterproofness. You can potentially extend it with proper boot care but it is going to end at some point.

Had a pair of Mountain Extremes lose it at 5 years; 3 weeks before going to Kodiak. During testing my boots leaked out of the back (black fabric), front eyelets and out of the bottoms (lots of stomped cactus over the years).

Most foot wetness is from sweat. Address your wicking issues, just like other clothes, and you’ll have dry feet. Doesn’t matter if it’s Kenetreks or Muck boots. Gaiters also contribute to damp feet; confirmed many times with Kenetrek, Kuiu and Kryptek under a wide variety of conditions.

So far the Kenetreks have been amazing. Was torn between the Lowa, Schnees and Kenetreks. They fit great right out of the box and have not caused any issues after the first 10 miles. Waxed them when new and plan to keep up on maintenance to have them last a good long time hopefully.

Rokwiia

WKR
Each of our feet are unique and what we experience from them varies greatly. Kenetrek makes great boots but I bought the Hardscrabble and they felt like two cinder blocks on my feet. I sent them back the next day.

I ordered the Schnee's Timberline and Absaroka and both were as comfortable as could be. I hiked in the Timberlines without break in and broke the Absarokas over a week. Go figure.