Kenetrek Quality

Has anyone had any problems or complaints about the general quality of workmanship of Kenetreks?

I ordered a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes about a month ago based on high praise of people with a lot more hunting experience than I have, here on the forum and elsewhere. Yesterday they were delivered and immediately gave them a once over and tried them on. On first lace up they feel pretty good, however the general fit and finish seems to be a bit lower than expectations for an almost $500 boot. The seam along the top of the tongue is starting to fray along the stitching. There are some loose stitches and threads on the seams along the inside of the uppers. The glue used to hold the rand in place goes just a little bit beyond the rubber rand and shows up on the nice tan leather. Lastly, not so much a workmanship gripe more just a general comment, the exposed foam of the midsole gives the whole thing a very cheap feel. I have a pair of Frank's Ground Pounders I wear to work everyday which have been one of the best investments I've made. They are obviously an entirely different category of boot being for different purposes and custom/handmade, but those were nearly the same price as the Kenetreks and the fit/finish and quality of those boots is on a whole other level. I also understand that these boots are designed to take a beating and that looks don't matter, but I guess I expected a little more attention to detail for a boot in this price range.

My plan is to keep the Kenetreks for now while I wear them around the house to get a better feel for them. I'm really just curious if these very minor fit/finish issues noted are normal for them or if I happened to get a pair that may have slipped through the cracks.

apnea

FNG
The visible foam on sole gives me same concern, but the rest of the design seems really well thought out, so it’s probably not the weak point I imagine. Buying mine this week.

ElPollo

WKR
I’m on my third pair and this one has some issues. There is a seam in the top of the tongue that was left a bit long on the inside. It wears on my ankle. I’ve pounded on it a bit over the horn of my anvil, but it’s still a bit proud. The toe box on this pair also sunk a bit more than the previous pairs and is causing an issue with my big toe on the right. I don’t know if it’s luck of the draw.

However, I wouldn’t worry about the foam midsole. I had a similar reaction when I got my first pair. I figured the sole wouldn’t last. What I soon realized was that foam midsole was the secret sauce that reduced impact and wear and tear on your feet. I wore the first pair almost daily for 3.5 years before I ran out of tread. I was going down into a canyon after a snowfall and realized I was either wearing skis or it was time for a new pair. The soles on Kenetreks are good to go.

NE Herd Bull

Lil-Rokslider
I have perhaps thousands of miles on Kenetrek products. Currently have 3 pair. Wear a pair of Safari (?) Everyday to the office. Also own for hunting uninsulated hardscabbles and a pair of insulated mountain extremes. They have a lot of "experience ".

To your question of quality: My experience is that I have never found reason to question the quality of Kenetrek products. They work well for me, however I completely understand that everyone's mileage may vary.

I don't consider myself a "fanboy" of any product, but I strongly recommend that if you need good boots, give Kenetrek serious consideration.

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider
My only gripe has been the rubber rand comes loose around the edge quicker then I’d like. Kenetrek sent me some glue for free to take care of it though, as I didn’t want to send the boots back in for something that minor.

OP
C
Thanks for the responses, everyone. Sounds like the midsole is nothing to worry about, and the other issues were more cosmetic than anything. I'm still working on the break in but the boots are pretty comfortable already. Hopefully that continues and I like them as much as a lot of others seem to.

ElPollo

WKR
My only gripe has been the rubber rand comes loose around the edge quicker then I’d like. Kenetrek sent me some glue for free to take care of it though, as I didn’t want to send the boots back in for something that minor.
Some types of boot dressing can cause this. I’ve been using Kenetrek’s stuff on my most recent pair and have not had the problem. But you’re right. When it does happen, it’s an easy fix with a little glue.

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
I have also experienced this. I’m on maybe my 6th pair over the years. I usually get two seasons out of them before I send them in to be re-soled in the off season then I can get one more Season before the leather cracks beyond repair. I keep going back because of the fit, I’ve never (knock on wood) gotten any blisters and I hunt/use them a fair bit.

customer service has always been top notch in my experience

Rokwiia

WKR
We all know that boot fit is paramount. I've never had a leather boot nor a stiff boot. All my hiking and backpacking have been in trail runners. Venomous snake encounters changed all of that and I began my search for a leather boot.

I tried on many boots from a number of companies including a Kenetrek Hardscrabble. Around that time, the Schnee Timberline arrived and at some point later the Schnee Absaroka. It gave me the opportunity to compare the Kenetrek to several other players in this market.

For me, the flex on the Kenetrek was so stiff it felt like I had two cement blocks on my feet. The Absaroka is a fairly stiff boot but nothing like the Hardscrabble, in my opinion.

Of all the boots I tried on, in my opinion, the Schnee boots were by far the highest quality of workmanship that I found.

WyoChris

FNG
I've put some miles on some mountain extremes and the stitching wore through where my pant legs rubbed on the back of the boots. I sent them in and they just glued it back together. Wasn't real happy with that repair but it seems to work. Seems they should cover the stitching so they don't wear out so easily but overall they seem to be a quality boot.

playnsea

Lil-Rokslider
Great customer service . Only bought the gators but I good things about the boot quality.

jherald

WKR
I had a concern over the foam midsole and it quickly went away after a 7 day hunt in the mountains.

They could use a thicker and tougher rubber for their rand, it gouges a little easier than most in scree.

Customer service is top notch and you'll talk to someone sitting in their Montana office.

SnowroxKT

FNG
My Hardscrabbles have been holding up well, I bought them in late July and used them for a few hunts and hiking. Break-in was pretty easy, I did double sock it with the Wigwam liners the first 20 miles or so but don't need to now.