Kennetrek heel slip concerns

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
So I just bought a pair of mountain extremes non-insulated, I have not worn them outside yet after reading more reviews and getting concerned about heeI slip.. have a pair of lowa Tibet’s that always give me heel blisters going uphill. I have tried taping, moleskin, sock liners and combinations with no luck, green super feet insoles no change. I plan to walk a few miles on a treadmill Max incline today to see how they feel. Any input on different insoles to help with heels? I have somewhat bony heels and wide toes. I wish someone would make a mountain boot the same shape and feel as an Altra!

Poser

WKR
If you’re getting heel lift out of the box, you need to send them back and try something else as that will only worsen as the boots stretch out and break in.

OP
H

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
Well I haven’t gotten he’ll sleep yet just wearing them around the house I’m just concerned after my reading, and the blisters I got from the Lowas I’ll see after a few miles on the treadmill if I have slip yes I’ll probably be sending them back. I’m going to replace the insoles in anyway just looking for something help prevent slippage

Last edited:

Poser

WKR
Well I haven’t gotten he’ll sleep yet just wearing them around the house I’m just concerned after my reading, and the blisters I got from the Lowas I’ll see after a few miles on the treadmill if I have slip yes I’ll probably be sending them back. I’m going to replace the insoles in anyway just looking for something help prevent slippage

Heel slip is due to an over abundance of volume inside the boot, not just at the heel either -could be too wide or too much vertical volume. The only way to address it is to soak up volume: insoles, sock liners, thicker socks.

OP
H

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you, yes I agree if heel slip then the boot most Likely doesn't fit my foot.. just don’t want to take the tags off and go outside till I’m sure or have a different/better insole, I just went to the store and picked up crispi guides also to try out for a bit and will return one ore the other, they seem to “feel” better but time will tell.. they are goretex which I swore I’d never buy again though..

OP
H

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
After a mile or so each on the treadmill max incline and a bit around the house the crispi feels better.. I really want to like the kennetrek and think they would break In but it’s to much of a gamble to find out 6 miles in that they give me blisters

Try Schnees Granite Mid or Beartooth. I like my altras and have bony heels. Kenetrek absolutely do not fit this type of foot.
The Schnees come with a nice insole as well. If you need superfeet green for your arch you might need a hair more volume as the factory is thin but gridded foam and supportive through the arch.

OP
H

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
I put my super feet in the kennetrek to get less of an arch actually, the ones they came with felt to high, I’ll look it on the screens as well

OP
H

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
Those beartooth look good ! How is the sizing? I am trying kennetrek in 10 and cripi in 10.5

D S 319

WKR
I found out in the field they give me blisters, chalked it up as them not being broke in enough. Wore them at TAC and had no issues. They do claim to have ~50 mile break in period. My insulated kenetreks had 0 issues with so far.

OP
H

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
Well I never looked at schnees before but they look good and get great reviews! I’m thinking I’ll order a pair to try as well

OP
H

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
Try Schnees Granite Mid or Beartooth. I like my altras and have bony heels. Kenetrek absolutely do not fit this type of foot.
The Schnees come with a nice insole as well. If you need superfeet green for your arch you might need a hair more volume as the factory is thin but gridded foam and supportive through the arch.

Wow!! My beartooth showed up today and all I can say is where have these been?? Instant comfort when I put them on! I read a lot of reviews on them and was beginning to think they were all employees but now that I have tried the on I get it!! I’ll wear them around the house a bit more but think those are the ones!

thank you for the tip!

World's narrowest heels speaking:

Trying to take up more volume with thicker insoles actually makes that problem worse bc you're pushing the heel up out of the pocket.

If you don't feel like your heel is held well in the first five seconds just keep looking bc it won't get any better.

I have some shoes and boots that are really darn close and they can be made functional often by adding the little padded stickers to the outside of the heel cup.

I don't have your wide toe issue but check out la sportiva boots, their narrow lasted boots have a proper tight heel. I fit into almost any of those out of the box.

505Wapiti

WKR
Worst blisters I ever had were Kenetreks that I wanted to love. Great boot that fit well so I thought but destroyed my feet on one elk hunt after miles of trying to break them in before hunting season. Great boot but hammered my heels with blisters, and I’ve never been so thankful for a package of moleskin stashed in my pack. Could just be me and my weird feet. I have many many miles on Zamberlans and no issues. Not bashing kenetrek but they just aren’t for my feet apparently. YMMV.

OP
H

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
Have never tried in lasportiva but will keep them in mind,
I have Been wearing the beartooth around the house and on a 2 mile hike so far they are great!

OP
H

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
Yes same I really wanted kennetreks to work but wasn’t going to happen

Yes same I really wanted kennetreks to work but wasn’t going to happen
You aren’t alone! I think for my feet, they are worst case scenario… just that stiff of a boot is not for me, they were heavy, and heel slip was going to be bad… it was the fastest “nope!” I have ever had trying on boots.

I think I have odd shaped feet too, because truly comfortable boots are unicorn like for me… the stiffer the boots, the more critical perfect fit is.

the one boot that feels like it was made for me is the crispi summits, if they made an all leather version, I would never buy a different boot, but synthetic panels will leak with me, all of the blackberry, salmon berry, and devil’s club finds it’s way through synthetic panels…

I have a low arch and also get heel slip in many boots, I pretty much combat that with the more minimal footwear approach… curious about the bear tooth, keep us posted

chilly460

FNG
I have narrow heels and issues with heel slip, here's a review I did on 6 pairs of boots that may help a bit.

OP
H

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies!

I’ve worn the beartooth a for about a week at work and they are great so far! The feel like they need Very little break in really comfortable right out of the box. Middle of September I’ll put them to the test packing in 8ish miles one way and some good elevation gain