Kent faststeel 3.5's jamming

JaWally91

FNG
Has anyone else had a problem with the new Kent 2.0 shells in 3.5" not ejecting properly? shooting a browning A5, and it looks as if the shells are a little longer and hang up on the side if the action not allowing it to kick out.

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
This will not help you, but I've had that experience with several shotshell manufacturers over the years. I've also got a case of Rio BBs that are crimped so blasted hard that they blow the ends of the hulls right out of the muzzle and make a mockery of my patterns. Shoot enough shot shells and you'll see all manner of things.

OP
J

JaWally91

FNG
Could your ejector not be grabbing them tight enough? Is it every shot or just the first shot?
Seems to be fairly random, maybe a little more on the first shot when it happens, put some 3" shells in and no problem. I cleared the jam once and put the spent shell back in slowly, opened the action by hand slowly and when it should have popped it out maybe less than 1/16th of plastic kinda hung up on the very end. maybe I got a bad box of shells? makes me doubt to buy another box of those in 3.5"

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a ton of 3.5" loads. Hang ups happen. some ejection ports are just a little tight for the hulls if they are a shade long. Federal orange box used to do this once in a while in my SX2.

Reactions: WCB
Seems to be fairly random, maybe a little more on the first shot when it happens, put some 3" shells in and no problem. I cleared the jam once and put the spent shell back in slowly, opened the action by hand slowly and when it should have popped it out maybe less than 1/16th of plastic kinda hung up on the very end. maybe I got a bad box of shells? makes me doubt to buy another box of those in 3.5"
Hmm I guess I'm not sure. I do know that if you ease the bolt down on a shell that you put into the tube the extractor can sometimes not engage fully on the shell and will also cause excessive wear on the tip of the ejector causing this issues to further compound but being more random in nature I don't feel this would be the issue

At one time I spent some time and tried about every 3.5 out there I could get my hands on and pattered most of them and had the best performance out of the Kent’s. So much so I bought a few cases about 8 years back and am still working on them. Out of my SBE I have not had a jam yet with them. But, if they changed anything in the last 8 years... this info would be useless to you.

If you have put plenty of rounds thru that gun and if you have never had issues before this box I would guess it’s that box, hopefully not something they have changed in production. Take a spent shell and put it up next to another brand after they have both been shot and see if there is a height difference between the two.

if it’s been a while since you have cleaned your gun it is also possible you have some junk behind the action and in the spring that isn’t allowing it to run it’s full slide back which would cause it to jam. My buddy had issues in his Remington and when we took it apart he had over greases it so much and never cleaned it that the amount of stuff collected back there was astonishing it was even working.

I used to burn through 5-8 cases of steel shot a year and hunted with a lot of guys who did the same while i was stretching a 4 year education to 6 in ND.

It was pretty universally agreed upon that:
  1. 3" shells were plenty to make clean shots to 65+ yards and a lot nicer for follow up shots than getting pounded by a 3.5
  2. 3.5" shells wont cycle as reliably

OP
J

JaWally91

FNG
I used to burn through 5-8 cases of steel shot a year and hunted with a lot of guys who did the same while i was stretching a 4 year education to 6 in ND.

It was pretty universally agreed upon that:
  1. 3" shells were plenty to make clean shots to 65+ yards and a lot nicer for follow up shots than getting pounded by a 3.5
  2. 3.5" shells wont cycle as reliably
Good to hear! I think ill stick to the 3"

i use to be a more bb's less aim kinda guy, now i just shoot 3" with a patternmaster and either clean miss or stone them. Only exception to that is the longer shots on scoters. sometimes have a cripple with them.

WCB

WKR
as someone mentioned above if the shell is right at 3.5" fired length some gun manufactures made their ejection ports rather tight and the crimp is catching the receiver just enough to slow its momentum. I also agree with the assessment to just shoot 3"...in 99% of cases there is zero benefit to shoot 3.5"

T28w

WKR
What exactly is it doing. I got a a5 two years ago and love it but I sent it back after two seasons to have it looked at and they said they fixed the issue. Mine would would have a shell partially ejected but trying to load the next shell prior to it being completed extracted. I rarely shoot 3.5s so I wasn’t too concerned with it hanging up with them. When it started happening with 3 inch shells I was pretty upset considering the cost and the fact that i traded in an sx3 I had for prob 8 yrs and zero issues. Love the fit of the browning so much that I have had a brand new sbe2 I’ve never shot but If it starts hanging up again, it may find itself a new home.
My brother has the same gun, bought it the year they came out, and has shot all types of shells and I’ve never seen it hang up. We go through about two cases of shells in a season just to give u an idea.

The first 3.5 a5's had problems. Can't remember exactly but a new bolt fixes it I believe. Think they fixed it after the first year. Might check that, also the fired Hull length.

Rem 10 ga hills are frequently longer than Sami spec, they will hang up in Browning Gold 10's.

OP
J

JaWally91

FNG
What exactly is it doing. I got a a5 two years ago and love it but I sent it back after two seasons to have it looked at and they said they fixed the issue. Mine would would have a shell partially ejected but trying to load the next shell prior to it being completed extracted. I rarely shoot 3.5s so I wasn’t too concerned with it hanging up with them. When it started happening with 3 inch shells I was pretty upset considering the cost and the fact that i traded in an sx3 I had for prob 8 yrs and zero issues. Love the fit of the browning so much that I have had a brand new sbe2 I’ve never shot but If it starts hanging up again, it may find itself a new home.
My brother has the same gun, bought it the year they came out, and has shot all types of shells and I’ve never seen it hang up. We go through about two cases of shells in a season just to give u an idea.
mine sounds like your issue, mines only with 3.5" shells, 3 inchers feed perfect, I think its more a kent issue as I shot some 3.5 black clouds this weekend with no problem

Never had that experience with Hevishot Hevi X or Hevi Metal. I can cleanly shoot 3" or 3.5" through my Beretta with zero hang up's or jams. To me, their quality and performance is simply better. They hit harder, pattern better and I have very few if any cripples using them. Also, the do not leave my gun DIRTY.

Hmm I guess I'm not sure. I do know that if you ease the bolt down on a shell that you put into the tube the extractor can sometimes not engage fully on the shell and will also cause excessive wear on the tip of the ejector causing this issues to further compound but being more random in nature I don't feel this would be the issue
I'm done with 3.5 for this reason.

rhustek

FNG
Buddy has this same issue, it ended up being the plastic from the shells. He has to clean his semi-auto more frequently or else the 3.5" jam. Once he cleans the plastic out of the rear of the barrel everything works great.

Never a single issue with Hevi X, Hevishot Duck, Hevi Metal or anything from Hevishot. They all cycle great whether it's 3" or 3.5".