Kentucky elk draw

I got drawn for second week bull (rifle) in 2018.. I live in Ky and had been applying since the very first year they hunted... I've hunted 29 of the last 32 for elk in one or more western states.. I did tons of research and have a ton of info I could share if anyone is considering Ky.. I think I have some insights that anyone who hasn't hunted in Ky would not have and can share the reality of Ky elk hunting..

Nickd160

FNG
Been applying for years in both PA and Kentucky. Feels like a donation. PA would definitely be a better draw than Kentucky if you’re lucky

Nickd160

FNG
Pa outfitters have control over what? There’s plenty of public land. You have the option to pick units with virtually all public.
Outfitters control most of the private ground within the units. Had a buddy spend 3 days hunting public couldn’t find an elk. Called a guide and went on private ground and shot one the next day

OP
TonySkyline
Ya know that really sucks that the states allow that to happen. I mean, it is like hitting the lottery when you draw in one of those states especially when ya live on the east coast. You shouldn't have to worry about paying an outfitter to access the land that holds the elk at that point. What's the point. They might as well just get rid of the lottery and say come to Kentucky and pay a ridiculous amount to "harvest" one of these elk on private property. It blind sides alot of people from the stories I've heard in the last few weeks that do not realize that the vast majority of the elk population is now on private property. I'll still apply for PA over the summer but I will definitely do a heck of alot more research on the property. Regardless I'm heading back to beautiful Montana in October so at least I'll be hunting elk this season. Elk hunting is highly addictive and for an easterner such as myself, it takes alot of $$$ to get back out west every year/every other year. The point systems are getting harder and harder so it looks like every other year will soon turn into every 3 or 4 years.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Jesus. Yeah maybe I'll stick to the western hunts. That sounds like a complete sh!t show. That sucks that happened. Kentucky really does not want people from out of state hunting there. I almost went to a wma in western Kentucky 3 years ago for a whitetail hunt and broke my hip a week before the hunt. Maybe it was for the better. Lol.

were you gonna head to Peabody WMA down in Ohio county? I used to live in Owensboro in Daviess County... people talk of Ohio county and mehuelenburg county monster bucks but I never got chance to hunt. Met a guy at work down there who hunts the Peabody and said it’s decent but nothing fantastic.

Kentucky

WKR
Outfitters control most of the private ground within the units. Had a buddy spend 3 days hunting public couldn’t find an elk. Called a guide and went on private ground and shot one the next day

well.. that’s why its called hunting instead of killing..3 days is t bad, hell, My wife was out of town and I went three days without finding socks, called her, found them In 10 minutes..

That is guides job, to know where elk are.. that’s what you pay them for.. not fair to compare a guy wandering around on public ground in an area for the first time, to a guide who Lives there, scouts and has connections..

OP
TonySkyline
were you gonna head to Peabody WMA down in Ohio county? I used to live in Owensboro in Daviess County... people talk of Ohio county and mehuelenburg county monster bucks but I never got chance to hunt. Met a guy at work down there who hunts the Peabody and said it’s decent but nothing fantastic.
No but Peabody was on the list before I narrowed it down. West Kentucky WMA I believe is what it is called. Still might head there sometime

DEHusker

WKR
After living in both the East and West and as an avid hunter, I feel badly for people who really have no idea what hunting "out West" is like. It is TOTALLY different than hunting East. As in, TOTALLY different. With large tracts of public land west of the Missouri River, there is practically none east of that...or very little for hunting. Hunting clubs, family lands, private access is the norm in the East. I won't even apply East for elk tags, it is WAY too complicated for me. More power to those who do, and good luck but after growing up and hunting in the West, it's a huge PIA to hunt East. totally different ballgame. I liken it to Freshwater vs Saltwater fishing. Yeah, you're trying to get something to bite a hook but that's about where it ends.....

OP
TonySkyline
Good way to put it Dehusker. If I wasn't tied down to this area I would totally be moved out west, Montana, Iowa, Kansas, Idaho, Wyoming. Etc. You are right about how hard it is to access land in the east. For a new person just getting in to hunting it would probably really suck unless you knew alot of people that could get you on some land. The state land here is not worth hunting unless you go to the largest of tracts. Lucky enough for me I have the Adirondack state park just an hour or so north of me and I use that to practice for out west as far as camping and such.