Kentucky Elk

I’ve nwver hunted elk before and I’m thinking about entering the Kentucky elk lottery. If/when I get a tag how does one go about finding decent places to hunt. I obviously know that I will need to do a lot of scouting. But I have no idea where I would start. I love in Ohio about 4 hours away. So scouting would be limited. Any suggestions on where and how to start?

150plusB&C

Lil-Rokslider
You have a better chance of winning the power ball. If you do draw a tag by some miracle, you will see elk. I found 6 different bulls in one zone area not counting the others. I think In total I found 23 different bulls in all the areas my buddy drew for. But it’s completely different ballgame than out west. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B
I’ve applied for a decade with not even a cow tag drawn in KY... that’s your odds and most all are like me as well

Well that’s not what I wanted to hear. I guess I’ll just start entering the lottery and hoping for the best.

ethan

WKR
I drew a cow archery tag a couple of years ago. Looooong story on the hunt bit it ended with no tag filled.

Brett8133

Lil-Rokslider
The tag may get a little easy to get Kentucky has made a 1 time tag now . Once you’ve gotten drawn you now longer can draw again .

Tank76

FNG
Myself and 5 other buddies have put in for years now and not drawn. A couple of the guys are Ky residents too. It’s worth a shot though considering the entry fee is cheap. We usually enter multiple times for each tag offered.

OP
B
Does anyone have any familiarity with Pennsylvania Elk hunting? Is the success rate as high as Kentucky? Is it worth applying.

Does anyone have any familiarity with Pennsylvania Elk hunting? Is the success rate as high as Kentucky? Is it worth applying.

Succes rate is 100% pretty much and they produce huge bulls as well, but same situation with the drawing of a tag as Kentucky is. Same in Tennessee but at least Tennessee offers you bonus points. Even tho they don’t seem as effective as western states. Honestly your best bet is just go to Colorado. If you wanna elk hunt it’s an opportunity State and you can get on elk there and have some success, you’re not going to kill a bull of record proportions but it’s a good time.

OP
B
I seen somewh
Succes rate is 100% pretty much and they produce huge bulls as well, but same situation with the drawing of a tag as Kentucky is. Same in Tennessee but at least Tennessee offers you bonus points. Even tho they don’t seem as effective as western states. Honestly your best bet is just go to Colorado. If you wanna elk hunt it’s an opportunity State and you can get on elk there and have some success, you’re not going to kill a bull of record proportions but it’s a good time.

I seen somewhere that in Penn you accumulate points. Is that correct?

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I have a camp in the middle of the elk range in PA. You do not gain preference points for their elk drawing but do gain bonus points. For every year you put in the draw and do not get a tag, you get another chance in the draw the next year you apply. Everyone is still in the same draw so to speak, some people just have more chances at getting drawn.

jm1607

WKR
You accumulate points in PA, but last I checked (which was a few years ago, probably worse now) the odds of winning were about 1 in 30,000. Tough pill to swallow for new applyers... But damn, they have some bruisers!

I would put in for both KY draws for sure, you never know and it's cheap

Even though it's a hike for you, I would put in for NM

dkime

WKR
I know a few people who have killed great bulls down that direction, my buddy Ronnie had his hunt air on S.C. under a Realtree show a few years back. Drawing the hunt is the hardest part, once you have a tag in your pocket then your odds are higher than anywhere in the world I would imagine.

jek5224

FNG
You accumulate points in PA, but last I checked (which was a few years ago, probably worse now) the odds of winning were about 1 in 30,000. Tough pill to swallow for new applyers... But damn, they have some bruisers!

I would put in for both KY draws for sure, you never know and it's cheap

Even though it's a hike for you, I would put in for NM

I know quite a few people who have been applying in PA every year since they started. Some have drawn, some have not. At this point, I likely will never apply there because I would just be stuck in limbo.