Kentucky Elk

Your odds of drawing a cow archery tag were like 1 in 78 last year, bull rifle tag was 1 in 800 for non-resident. So, as you can see, the odds suck. I have applied for 10 years, never drawn. But, I will continue to apply every year because it's cheap and it's only a 3.5 hour drive to get into elk country if I draw.

A friend of mine's 16 yo son drew a cow rifle tag a couple years ago as a non-resident. First time he ever applied. He got his elk before they even checked into their hotel room.

Brendan

WKR
If you want to hunt Elk, I wouldn't count on ever doing it out east (but you might get lucky).

Plenty of options out west for every budget and style of hunt though.

I’ll agree draw odds are slim. I’ve been putting in for years and no luck. Gave up an heading out west this year for a diy archery elk hunt.

smccardell

Lil-Rokslider
Don't listen to the naysayers. Keep applying. My son applied for the youth tag. At the time they only gave out 10 (this year its at 25) of which only 1 could be from out of state and he drew the tag his first time trying.

As for scouting and where to hunt. Once you are drawn for a tag the next thing you will need to do it determine if you are going to then put in for a limited entry area (LEA). This will be the only way you can hunt in some of the prime Kentucky areas. Kentucky has limited public land. Most of the land is private that allow you to hunt their land in exchange for landowner tags. In all honesty it might be best if you draw a tag to contact an outfitter. They have access to private not in the state landowner program. They also have been watching the elk all summer and fall and will know exactly where they are located.

If you archery hunt and want a DIY there is a bow only spot in the Hazard LEA. That would be your best bet because there will be limited pressure there during firearms season (but I believe you can draw a rifle tag and still hunt with a bow). Good luck and hope you get drawn!

Ebruce

FNG
PA is cheap to apply as well, yes odd aren't good but, the way our system is set up everyone at least gets a chance, I'll have my name in the hat 3 times this year to will I prob not but hey not many get to hunt eastern elk anymore

cbiddle

Lil-Rokslider
You can read some other threads on here that I’ve commented on so I don’t want to sound like a broken record. I live in Kentucky. Ive hunted elk in KY twice on my own tags and 3 more times with friends that have drawn. It’s a shit show. The local outfitters don’t like outsiders going DYI. You can talk to them and they will flat out tell you those elk belong to them. Most of the outfitters don’t know their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to elk hunting. They just have a spot leased that has elk on it. There are opportunities but you have to be willing to work your butt of for them. In my honest opinion if you want to hunt elk you will have a better experience going out west. Which is what I’ve been doing the last 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbiddle

Lil-Rokslider
Don't listen to the naysayers. Keep applying. My son applied for the youth tag. At the time they only gave out 10 (this year its at 25) of which only 1 could be from out of state and he drew the tag his first time trying.

As for scouting and where to hunt. Once you are drawn for a tag the next thing you will need to do it determine if you are going to then put in for a limited entry area (LEA). This will be the only way you can hunt in some of the prime Kentucky areas. Kentucky has limited public land. Most of the land is private that allow you to hunt their land in exchange for landowner tags. In all honesty it might be best if you draw a tag to contact an outfitter. They have access to private not in the state landowner program. They also have been watching the elk all summer and fall and will know exactly where they are located.

If you archery hunt and want a DIY there is a bow only spot in the Hazard LEA. That would be your best bet because there will be limited pressure there during firearms season (but I believe you can draw a rifle tag and still hunt with a bow). Good luck and hope you get drawn!

And Van Booven WMA in the Hazard LEA has been closed to all elk hunting. That leaves a small portion of the Revaluation Property and the rest is private leased my some local state cops that think they are outfitters.

Grumman

WKR
Yep pretty sad how everything seems to be getting leased up. I had a good time on a cow tag as a resident in an LEA. A good friend the next year had outfitters trying to run him off public ground.

MtnOyster

WKR
Kentucky resident and as stated above it is a laughing joke, right before season comes in the locals will herd every bull they can off public ground on to their private ground and then charge you a small fortune to shoot it, the real problem is they will charge a dozen people and take 11 of them on a wild goose chase and the 12th guy might get to shoot a cow or bull if they can find it...…...……

jdmaxwell

WKR
Year I drew PA Bull tag I had max points. But other bull hunter in my unit that year drew on his very first time applying.
Super slim odds but it can happen.

The cost to apply in PA is 10.90 (or was last year). You can also enter the KECA raffle for 25.00. You will see elk and likely be successful.

Leasing and private property aren't an issue generally. My local historical society has a 430 inch bull mounted that got poached. Every year the largest bull will push 400. It can be a physically tough hunt or as easy as shoot elk in field drive up to elk and load in truck.

I apply in PA, Kentucky, New Hampshire Moose all because they are inexpensive. If I get a tag great but I am aware I am usually donating as extra 100 a year to wildlife departments on lottery tickets. Not really any different than buying a couple Dream Tags in Nevada or Arizona Raffle tags.

Boiler

Lil-Rokslider
I drew a Ky. bull tag on my first try! 3 years ago. Three year waiting period.... planning on drawing another this year! Hadn't heard anything about the once in a lifetime change, but they let me apply. Two of my boys are in for all the youth tags, they're first big game draws and they are pumped!! Results should be out this week!

The eastern novelty or hobby herds might actually be a decent source of revenue for the states that host and manage them. I wouldn’t ever consider them anything other than a tourist attraction though and a novelty though.id hunt one of the tags if it landed in my mailbox but it would never work as a stand in for my actual elk hunt.

I’m a Kentucky resident and have been applying ever since they started accepting applications. I do only put in for bull but I have yet to be drawn. They started a new 3 year waiting period after you’ve been drawn before you can apply again.

Agross

WKR
I've applied for Kentucky the last couple years, and Michigan for the last 11 years. I figure a small chance is better than no chance. Cheap enough to apply.