Kentucky Elk

baz77

WKR
Been applying Every year since they’ve had a draw ..pretty much same odds drawing a sheep tag out west..but I spent more money on dumber stuff.

I do know a couple guys from work who are KY residents who have drawn though. One of them has a bull in the top 10 killed in KY.

OP
Taube94

Taube94

FNG
According to game and wildlife I live down the road from one of the largest elk herds in Kentucky. So fingers crossed

robie

WKR
According to game and wildlife I live down the road from one of the largest elk herds in Kentucky. So fingers crossed
Not to burst your bubble but odds are terrible even for residents. View it as a donation to wildlife with a very outside chance of going elk hunting.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

acesand8s

Lil-Rokslider
I drew a cow archery tag two years. My buddy drew an archery tag last year and killed a nice bull. It took us both 20 years to get drawn, as residents.

As the others said, nonresidents have absolutely terrible chance of drawing any kind of tag. Even cow bow tags are terrible odds.

satchamo

WKR
My buddy drew a cow archery tag in 2014. I tagged along with him as were only about 4 hours from eastern KY. It was a super cool experience but a tough hunt with archery tackle. He went back later in the season but no luck.

We hunted straight creek lea but I’m pretty sure it’s been split since that time. It’s not an easy hunt on public. Most the big bulls are being pulled off private but you can definitely still kill one on public. We got into a bugle fest one morning that was unlike anything I’d experienced out west.

OP
Taube94

Taube94

FNG
My buddy drew a cow archery tag in 2014. I tagged along with him as were only about 4 hours from eastern KY. It was a super cool experience but a tough hunt with archery tackle. He went back later in the season but no luck.

We hunted straight creek lea but I’m pretty sure it’s been split since that time. It’s not an easy hunt on public. Most the big bulls are being pulled off private but you can definitely still kill one on public. We got into a bugle fest one morning that was unlike anything I’d experienced out west.

That’s freakin awesome man. Makes my hands shaky thinking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grumman

WKR
I drew a cow archery tag when I was a resident. It took a lot of years before I drew but I had a blast on the hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been applying as a non-resident for 12 years now, I believe. Never have drawn anything. Doesn't stop me from trying. I live 3.5 hours from Kentucky, so it's worth the donation for even the miniscule odds of drawing. I have traveled up to Kentucky multiple times and "hunted" the elk with my camera during the summer months.

I know a guy whose son drew a cow elk tag several years ago. They drove up to Kentucky, went and knocked on some doors and got permission from a farmer to hunt his land. They shot a cow before they even checked into their hotel room.

I too apply every year for the 4 different tags. Can't be drawn if you don't apply! I live in Cincinnati, so within 2-1/2" -3hrs of the elk areas.

JimRu

FNG
To my amazement i drew a first week bull firearm tag in Kentucky this year as a non resident. I was placed in unit 3 part of the unit used to be straight creek lea i cannot afford a guide so it will be diy. This will be my first elk hunt and i am beyond excited. But drawing a tag can happen!!! I never thought i would draw.