Kentucky public land hunt

brb230

FNG
Me and a buddy are planning a last minute trip to sw Kentucky. We will head out November 8th and hunt until the 14th . We have been looking into Peabody wma and maybe pennyrile. There looks to be a cold front moving in when we get there. Will this put us into the rut time frame? Any advice on how to get onto deer in that area? This will be my first time hunting Kentucky. Also are snake boots needed this time of year? Are the ticks as bad as they say? Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.

KHNC

WKR
Ticks and chiggars run rampant in Kentucky during warm weather. Public land gets hammered by locals and NR's during the rut. Hot weather all next week until 11/12 , the opener for gun season.This will cut down on locals on archery only public, but you will have a LOT gun poachers on the archery only WMA land. Seen it for years. DNR dont seem to respond much. I guess they are under staffed. Ohio public land may be less hunting pressure and gun season isnt nearly as long or during prime rut like it is in Kentucky. If you are planning a gun hunt on KY public, may God rest your soul , and wear orange. Oh yeah, probably wont need snake boots.

OP
brb230

brb230

FNG
Ticks and chiggars run rampant in Kentucky during warm weather. Public land gets hammered by locals and NR's during the rut. Hot weather all next week until 11/12 , the opener for gun season.This will cut down on locals on archery only public, but you will have a LOT gun poachers on the archery only WMA land. Seen it for years. DNR dont seem to respond much. I guess they are under staffed. Ohio public land may be less hunting pressure and gun season isnt nearly as long or during prime rut like it is in Kentucky. If you are planning a gun hunt on KY public, may God rest your soul , and wear orange. Oh yeah, probably wont need snake boots.
Planned on hunting Peabody wma until rifle opener than switching to maybe pennyrile for bow only. I’d goto Ohio but I was invited to Kentucky by a friend and he’s pretty set on going there. Hopefully it’s not a total bust….

KHNC

WKR
Cold front finally coming on rifle opener. Really hot til then. Hopefully deer are still on the move in daylight.

KY Ryan

FNG
I haven’t hunted Peabody so I can’t commit on the pressure. Ticks and snakes are long gone. The rut was strong last year on opening weekend around western Ky. Best of luck. I hope you enjoy your time in KY.

Me and a buddy are planning a last minute trip to sw Kentucky. We will head out November 8th and hunt until the 14th . We have been looking into Peabody wma and maybe pennyrile. There looks to be a cold front moving in when we get there. Will this put us into the rut time frame? Any advice on how to get onto deer in that area? This will be my first time hunting Kentucky. Also are snake boots needed this time of year? Are the ticks as bad as they say? Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Dont worry about ticks and snakes this time of year. Some public areas get hit hard and some are absolute ghost towns for archery. Never hunted rifle on public. The rut is really kicking up in central ky. I tagged out this morning rattling in a buck that just got done fighting another buck. Saw two bucks chasing does this week too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

young7.3

WKR
You wont have to worry about ticks, chiggers or snakes. Ive hunted that wma before on rifle opener. It wasnt as bad as the other guy is saying. Just do some map shooting and get away from the crowds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Devin1214

FNG
Their have been some big deer taken off of Peabody. I used to like it out that way.

wesfromky

WKR
Just a FYI - I pulled a tick off Sunday after hunting central KY, and have picked them up in February before as well.

KHNC

WKR
It was 76 multiple days in kentucky last week. I didnt see much of anything til saturday. No mature bucks spotted in 8 days in central KY for me.