Kestrel 5700 Elite w/ LINK

Is anyone running one? I'm looking to purchase my first and am trying to decide if the LINK option is for me or if I should save the money and get the 5700 without LINK.

Thoughts? These puppies aren't cheap and I don't want to over buy nor do I want to under buy.

Thanks!

Or.....if anyone has one they are willing to part with :)....

Dobermann

WKR
TBoss - have you seen Rokslide's very own Sam Millard's review of both the 5700 Sportsman and 5700 Elite with LINK?

Here's the Sportsman: Kestrel 5700 Sportsman: Review – Panhandle Precision

And Elite: Kestrel 5700 Elite w/ LiNK: Review – Panhandle Precision

Those links will also take you to his videos about them.

And Austin Wilcox from Kestrel on Precision Rifle Podcast #111 says the Sporstman is fine for shooting out to 800 yards. Can be upgraded to Elite if needs be: Precision Rifle Podcast 111 - Rangefinders Kestrel and SHOT — Firearms Radio Network

Hope that helps!

OP
T
Thanks Dobie. Just trying to justify the expense. I currently run Leica HD-Bs and am good to 1000 yards with the ballistics they provide. Basically need a wind meter. So I'm trying to justify the cost vs. the need of another system to calculate ballistics. Between my binos, range cards, and ballistic app on my phone I may be covered and a cheaper wind meter may be the ticket.

Decisions decisions.

Thanks for the links!

Dobermann

WKR
Sounds like we're in a similar dilemma.

My current thinking is that if I go with the 5700 Sportsman, that's $419 RRP rather than the $609 for the Elite, so a good savings right off the bat. And if I ever think I need to extra features of the Elite, then it's possible to just buy the upgrade for the difference in the RRP, so nothing lost there.

There are a few sites that stock Kestrels that have 10% off sales fairly regularly, so that would bring the Sportsman down to $377, which is getting closer to the standard retail for some higher-end wind meters without ballistics - and, if your alternative would be to just get a wind meter without ballistics, then to compare like with like, you'd want to get one as bombproof as the Kestrel.

Then, if you're not in a hurry, chances are that one of those sites might have a 20% off sale during one of their big in-house or holiday sale days - taking it to $335. Given that the RRP on a standard Kestrel 5500 Weather Meter is $309, you're getting closer to having all of the ballistics capability for free. (Of course, you could wait for a big discount on a plain-Jane 5500 to make it cheaper, too, but you get my point.)

At the very least, the 5700 gives you a backup option in the field. Better than that, it gives you an option if you ever change your optics. And one on from there is that it might be able to replace some other gear.

Just my current thinking, anyhow ... but yeah, I'm also trying to talk myself into it! ;)