Kestrel Knives

Western_hunter87

Lil-Rokslider
my ovis broke in half... Id go with tyto or benchmade altitude. iv got a kestrel skeleton skinner too

gexpro

WKR
Ive been a pretty big supporter of kestrel knives, especially because they are local to me and US made. however just about everything on kestrel's website is backordered..

I was also wondering the same question you are asking, a lot of knives they used to offer are no longer for sale on the website..

tdot

WKR
I asked him about that months ago and he said no stock and the next run was spoken for. They'd go back on the site asap once a batch was available. Not sure if that's still relevant.

OP
B
Wow. I had an ovis stolen and picked up a the TI edc haven’t used it yet saving for a back pack kill which hasn’t happens. Ugh

gexpro

WKR
I asked him about that months ago and he said no stock and the next run was spoken for. They'd go back on the site asap once a batch was available. Not sure if that's still relevant.
poor business model imo.
company has a lot of potential- but im afraid lot of its existence and success is behind KUIU backing them.

what do i know though?

tdot

WKR
poor business model imo.
company has a lot of potential- but im afraid lot of its existence and success is behind KUIU backing them.

what do i know though?
I'm sure Kuiu helped them be noticed, but their knives are keeping them noticed and growing. I didn't even know about the kuiu connection until id bought 2 of their knives.

I feel for alot of these small businesses, no skilled labour, capital can be tough to obtain. The internet has given them an amazing ability to reach new audiences, but allows them to grow at unnatural rates. Makes it very hard to scale up.

gexpro

WKR
I'm sure Kuiu helped them be noticed, but their knives are keeping them noticed and growing. I didn't even know about the kuiu connection until id bought 2 of their knives.

I feel for alot of these small businesses, no skilled labour, capital can be tough to obtain. The internet has given them an amazing ability to reach new audiences, but allows them to grow at unnatural rates. Makes it very hard to scale up.
Agreed, i continue to support them as well; as mentioned above.

I own EDC, mountain scalpel and ovis. The mountian scalpel is my absolute favorite and i practically daily wear around my neck, it is hardly noticeable.

I hope Kestrel sticks around for the long haul, and keeps coming out with new innovating products.

Western_hunter87

Lil-Rokslider
I'm sure if you showed that to Nathan he'd help you out. At least I would think he would.
he offered me a 43$ credit... but after picking up a benchamde altitude i realized how garbage quality Kestrel knives are. The skeleton skinner is so loose in its sheath its dangerous. I had oringinally ordered skeleton orvis and 6 months after pre paying they still coud not get them within spec so i had to get a handled one. I really wanted to make kestrel work i skin and butcher about 40 ish animals a year. But in the end id rather get quality prodcut for basically same price points. Benchmade quality is shitting on kestrel.

I can’t say I’ve had any issues with my handled Ovis/Skinner, caper and scalpel. Sheaths fit right.
Try the benchmade out!

tdot

WKR
he offered me a 43$ credit... but after picking up a benchamde altitude i realized how garbage quality Kestrel knives are. The skeleton skinner is so loose in its sheath its dangerous. I had oringinally ordered skeleton orvis and 6 months after pre paying they still coud not get them within spec so i had to get a handled one. I really wanted to make kestrel work i skin and butcher about 40 ish animals a year. But in the end id rather get quality prodcut for basically same price points. Benchmade quality is shitting on kestrel.

At 40 animals a year, I'd agree that the Kestrel aren't the right knife. They are a lightweight backpacking knife w/ a thin spine, skeletonized handle. I'd definitely be reaching for something else at that volume of use.

Western_hunter87

Lil-Rokslider
At 40 animals a year, I'd agree that the Kestrel aren't the right knife. They are a lightweight backpacking knife w/ a thin spine, skeletonized handle. I'd definitely be reaching for something else at that volume of use.
good old Case knife works great but its almost past its life. Benchmade and havalon have been a good combo so far. We will see cause im gonna drop a few pigs this weekend.