Kestrel Ovis, Tyto Fanin, Argali Carbon, Iron will or any others ?

I am having paralysis by analysis trying to figure which way I want to go for a lightweight fixed blade to partner with my tyto scalpel. I am looking for a fixed blade I can brake down an animal and debone hopefully witout sharpening. I have been using a outdoor edge just like fixed blades better. I am sure this has been discussed and have seen some reviews but nothing on the fanin. I also so a new company Montana knives look interesting. Love my tyto but for deboning lot a strokes with a tiny blade

Benchmade altitude and the new fixed goat knives deserve to be in the running too IMO. Those all look like great knives tho

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a BM Altitude I use in conjunction with a Tyto blade knife; it’s lightweight and I can vouch for the steel- you’d be hard pressed to dull it on one animal. I think the high cost of this knife is mostly related to the steel it uses.

If the blade was a 1/2” longer it would be even better.

Beckjhong

WKR
Mora companion. I drank the kool aid and bought one. Super sharp, lightweight. I’d easily stack it against the others you named.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The CPM S90V of the Benchmade Altitude holds an edge very well.

The Fox River Featherweight in CPM 3Vby Bark River should hold an adge decently (on the level of S30V, do not as long as the Altitude) while being a much tougher steel that will handle prying better. So, if you like to use your knife like a crowbar, that would be a great choice.

I'm not familiar with the Nitro V steel of the Kestrel Ovis. Looking at specs, it should out perform S90V in toughness, but will greatly underperform in edge retention. Even 440C will probably hold an edge better, so if edge retention is what you want a Victorinox or Mora would surve you better.

Nitro V would be less tough and worse edge retention than 3V, but has the advantage of being a true stainless steel (3V is simi-stainless).

OP
B
Benchmade altitude and the new fixed goat knives deserve to be in the running too IMO. Those all look like great knives tho
I was looking at goat ti as well. I imagine they are all pretty good. Probably process more critters then I have been killing lately. I also saw where the argali is getting great reviews as well

Last edited:
The goat ti capra hunter is legit, i use one with the altitude and dont need anything else to process an animal. Just be careful lol me and my buddy have cut ourselves, im gonna be adding a pair of cut resistant gloves to the kill kit i think. The new goat knife fixed blades look good and i think id give one of them or the iron will a shot if i wasn't happy with the benchmade.

I will say this, i have several knives for different purposes and most are benchmade. These days i much prefer the s90v steel blades over the 20cv and s35 blades i have for pretty much everything. It holds an edge better and i have no problem touching them up. I think benchmade just re-released some of their other hunting knives with the s90v that had s35 before. I think they also did a 14° edge on the new versions which is close to what i have on my mini freek and the altitude. More like a kitchen knife which is better for slicing, cause they're usually like 30-35° in most their knives

OP
B
The goat ti capra hunter is legit, i use one with the altitude and dont need anything else to process an animal. Just be careful lol me and my buddy have cut ourselves, im gonna be adding a pair of cut resistant gloves to the kill kit i think. The new goat knife fixed blades look good and i think id give one of them or the iron will a shot if i wasn't happy with the benchmade.

I will say this, i have several knives for different purposes and most are benchmade. These days i much prefer the s90v steel blades over the 20cv and s35 blades i have for pretty much everything. It holds an edge better and i have no problem touching them up. I think benchmade just re-released some of their other hunting knives with the s90v that had s35 before. I think they also did a 14° edge on the new versions which is close to what i have on my mini freek and the altitude. More like a kitchen knife which is better for slicing, cause they're usually like 30-35° in most their knives
Agree on the cutting yourself when I was on kodiak caped out a deer and looked down and was like why is this blood here is was mine from the tyto. I may take a hard look at the bench made I carry one for work and love it. I am not what you would call a good knife sharpener on a stone etc but picked up a works belt deal I am sure that will touch it up when needed? With that said someone buy my brand new kestrel EDC ti will ya..lol

Agree on the cutting yourself when I was on kodiak caped out a deer and looked down and was like why is this blood here is was mine from the tyto. I may take a hard look at the bench made I carry one for work and love it. I am not what you would call a good knife sharpener on a stone etc but picked up a works belt deal I am sure that will touch it up when needed? With that said someone buy my brand new kestrel EDC ti will ya..lol
I suck at sharpening too, i use a paper wheel on a bench grinder and it makes it easier lol

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

The Fox River Featherweight in CPM 3Vby Bark River should hold an adge decently (on the level of S30V, do not as long as the Altitude) while being a much tougher steel that will handle prying better. So, if you like to use your knife like a crowbar, that would be a great choice.

I'm not familiar with the Nitro V steel of the Kestrel Ovis. Looking at specs, it should out perform S90V in toughness, but will greatly underperform in edge retention. Even 440C will probably hold an edge better, so if edge retention is what you want a Victorinox or Mora would surve you better.

Nitro V would be less tough and worse edge retention than 3V, but has the advantage of being a true stainless steel (3V is simi-stainless).

I just got a fairly backpacker made of the nytro v to try out. I havnt cut anything with it yet but I’m looking forward to beating on it.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I just got a fairly backpacker made of the nytro v to try out. I havnt cut anything with it yet but I’m looking forward to beating on it.

Those are some nice looking knives. Up date us on how it performs.

rm06

WKR
I broke 3 scalpel blades using my Tyto taking my goat apart on the side of the mountain last year and had to finish using my ESEE Izula. I've used the scalpel / Tyto on more than a handful of speed goats and helped with an elk but I'll be converting to a fixed blade this year. Nothing wrong with them and I'm sure it's my misuse of the tool

Trying to decide between the Argali and the Benchmade currently

OP
B
I was the same but couldn't pass it up at 165 so see how it goes would like maybe a longer blade for deboning but trade offs I guess

ScottP

WKR

I own a Bark River Featherweight Fox River. I love this little knife. Mine is in elmax steel, but I own a BR Necker 2 in 3V. I like both of those steels. I can do a deer without stopping to sharpen, and was able to restore it to nearly shaving sharp with only a compound loaded strop. If they made a 1.5 size of that featherweight fox, I think it would be the ultimate backcountry knife for elk and smaller game. Personally, I like a 3.5"-4" blade for elk work.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I own a Bark River Featherweight Fox River. I love this little knife. Mine is in elmax steel, but I own a BR Necker 2 in 3V. I like both of those steels. I can do a deer without stopping to sharpen, and was able to restore it to nearly shaving sharp with only a compound loaded strop. If they made a 1.5 size of that featherweight fox, I think it would be the ultimate backcountry knife for elk and smaller game. Personally, I like a 3.5"-4" blade for elk work.

I really though about the Featherweight Fox River in 3V, but I want a 4 inch blade. Unfortunately most of the knives in 3v with a 4 inch blade have spines over 0.12 inches and I want a thin blade and the whole point of 3v is that it is tough enough to handle abuse with such a thin spine.

I might just make my own and send it off to Peters Heat Treat.

ScottP

WKR
I really though about the Featherweight Fox River in 3V, but I want a 4 inch blade. Unfortunately most of the knives in 3v with a 4 inch blade have spines over 0.12 inches and I want a thin blade and the whole point of 3v is that it is tough enough to handle abuse with such a thin spine.

I might just make my own and send it off to Peters Heat Treat.
Yep, a thin stock in 3V or elmax with a 3.75-4" blade with the profile of that featherweight fox river would be my ideal knife. That handle is just ultra comfortable to me. I also have a loveless-inspired drop point from BRKT but it's A2 thick stock. BR does make a featherweight hunter I believe, that is roughly what I describe but with the loveless handle and guard. I haven't handled it though personally.