Kestrel scalpel vs tyto

Baron85

WKR
Looking to try a replaceable blade knife this year and looks like these are my 2 options. What are people’s opinions between them? I don’t want a folder. Are there any other options? I will still carry a larger fixed blade, this will be used just to help break down game.

OP
B

Baron85

WKR
I do like the idea of the handle scales available for the tyto but also feel for the more delicate work I plan on using this for the smaller handle on the kestrel might be an advantage?????

Bcleck90

WKR
I used the Tyto last year on several animals and liked it a lot but sold it recently to try out the Kestrel. They’re both nice and probably a toss up like AK Troutbum mentioned above. The Kestrel does feel a little smaller in the hand which I like. The Tyto just seemed kinda big for what it is in my opinion but both are solid options.

OP
B

Baron85

WKR
Well I ended up ordering the kestrel this weekend, then today a tyto popped up here on the classifieds so I snagged that too. Guess I will get to try both and decide for my self.

kravguy

WKR
Is there a place to buy blades for the kestrel or are they all using the same blade? The tyto comes with 60 blades, Kestrel comes with 5? At least that's what found

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
B

Baron85

WKR
Is there a place to buy blades for the kestrel or are they all using the same blade? The tyto comes with 60 blades, Kestrel comes with 5? At least that's what found

They both use size 60a blades, Havalon also uses size 60a. The kestrel comes with 5 blades and the tyto comes with 10.

Atleast that is my understanding

kravguy

WKR
They both use size 60a blades, Havalon also uses size 60a. The kestrel comes with 5 blades and the tyto comes with 10.

Atleast that is my understanding
My bad. I mistook the 60 size for blade count.

Fireman5569

Lil-Rokslider
I have both and I love both you can't go wrong with either haven't cleaned any animals yet but have used on several fish the kestrel is def smaller and more nimble in the hand though and the tyto is easier when the blade changes need to be made.

Walmart has the mossy oak version for less than $20. Its more similar to the havalon but the price is good.

Kestrel will be smaller in the hand. I've been happy with everything Nathan has made and I will continue to use them