Kestrels and apps

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
I have dove into LR shooting the past few months in preparation for hunting season. I am currently using shooter app combined with basic rangefinder. I would like to effectively achieve 1st round hits out to 1000 yards. I need a wind meter undoubtedly.

Do you guys find that applied ballistics is superior to shooter? Would you purchase the kestrel 2500 for wind and weather conditions only and input data into shooter or go all out and purchase the 5700 with elite & link? I read one place that applied ballistics only out shines shooter past 1500 yards, can anyone confirm this?

I like the concept of a rangefinder with solver combo but that leaves wind out of the equation.

Take it easy on me I’m still pretty green at this.

Vandy321

WKR
Following.

I have AB on my phone (no link) and have always just hand jammed the data into the app. Curious what more experienced folks have to say as well.

There will be others on here that have more experience than I do, but I’ve played around with a lot of stuff.

What I settled on was the geo ballistics app (BallisticsARC on the App Store) and the weather flow meter. I know you didn’t ask about another app, but I’ve played with several apps and I would suggest trying the BallisticsARC app.

The weather flow meter connects flawlessly every time. Is small, compact, simple and light. If you also have cell service and you’re not worried about wind you can pull the weather right off you phone for DA and temp. Connect the weather flow if you’re off grid and need wind.

I have never owned a kestrel but I have played with them at shoots I’ve been at and for my style (maybe yours too?) the weather flow meter does everything I need. Not at all knocking the kestrel, if someone gave me one I would use it, just can’t fond a reason to upgrade over my $50 device and the BallisticsARC app.

Broz

WKR
For your criteria Shooter will serve you great. I have been leaving AB mobile app to to go back to Shooter as I have had some issues with the custom drag models. I was actually better when I used the stepped BC's (way out there) that AB no longer offers.

The Kestrel 2500 is a great choice and is my go to. It will supply all the environmental data you need except Humidity. set your Humidity on 50% and leave it as it has little to no effect from 10 to 100% on elevation solutions. Make sure you use actual station pressure for a BARO reading and input, it is the most accurate.

Most RF's with an on board solver has a wind data entry option too. Only a few leave it out. The best I have used is the SIG Kilo 2500 AB. If you take the time to practice with it as far as entering and removing wind it works very well and the solution includes Spin Drift, Coriolis as well as Aerodynamic jump.

But in the end, The shooter app and a Kestrel 2500 will get it done just as good.

Jeff

codym

WKR
Agree with others above have stated. I personally have the now discontinued 4500 Bluetooth with AB. The Bluetooth is worthless to me as I have apple products and it won’t connect with them and is incompatible with the kestrel link app. I have the AB app on my phone, which I use most and the kestrel for the wind, but having the backup solver on the kestrel is nice as my phone has overheated before while at the range.

Very timely thread for me too. I’ve been using shooter, a Sig 2200, and have been wildly guessing on wind. I’m always debating the full on 5700 with all the add ons or just a simple 2500 or 2700

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
Muleyslayer14

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
For your criteria Shooter will serve you great. I have been leaving AB mobile app to to go back to Shooter as I have had some issues with the custom drag models. I was actually better when I used the stepped BC's (way out there) that AB no longer offers.

The Kestrel 2500 is a great choice and is my go to. It will supply all the environmental data you need except Humidity. set your Humidity on 50% and leave it as it has little to no effect from 10 to 100% on elevation solutions. Make sure you use actual station pressure for a BARO reading and input, it is the most accurate.

Most RF's with an on board solver has a wind data entry option too. Only a few leave it out. The best I have used is the SIG Kilo 2500 AB. If you take the time to practice with it as far as entering and removing wind it works very well and the solution includes Spin Drift, Coriolis as well as Aerodynamic jump.

But in the end, The shooter app and a Kestrel 2500 will get it done just as good.

Jeff

Thank you Jeff, great information.

OP
Muleyslayer14

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
From what I’m gathering it looks like the only real advantages to a 5700 would be having to worry about one electronic device compared to two. Which I think most of us would agree isn’t worth the added cost between the units.

Jeff
I'm in complete agreement with Broz. Have tried them all including AB. A good laser paired with the Kestrel 2500 to input correct numbers into the Shooter app has served me the best. I also love the ability to step my BC for the long ones.

I originally started with iSnioe but since have moved onto Shooter. If there is a better app out there I am all ears. I am just getting into all of this as well and at times it’s a little overwhelming. Thanks

Darting

FNG
Ab is the only one I use. It’s far more advanced than shooter and I like that it does groups also.

Based on this thread I’ve got a 2500 coming in today. I hesitated because even though I see guys like Broz and others with lots of experience, I wonder if they understand and know things that I don’t that let the more bare bones models work fine for them.

That said, I know about truing velocity in shooter and have used an app to get absolute pressure. I’m hoping the 2500 is more accurate and can give me good wind details. Updates to follow!

OP
Muleyslayer14

Muleyslayer14

Lil-Rokslider
Based on this thread I’ve got a 2500 coming in today. I hesitated because even though I see guys like Broz and others with lots of experience, I wonder if they understand and know things that I don’t that let the more bare bones models work fine for them.

That said, I know about truing velocity in shooter and have used an app to get absolute pressure. I’m hoping the 2500 is more accurate and can give me good wind details. Updates to follow!

Awesome man, my 3000 arrived yesterday. I’m impressed so far, but have limited time behind it. I want to see someone like Broz go through the entire shooter app setting everything up from start to finish, most of it makes sense but I would be lying if I said I didn’t have some empty boxes.

Let’s keep this thread going with our findings of shooter and these kestrels. Seems a lot of guys have these questions.

dmm08300

Lil-Rokslider
Not to hijack or anything, but has anyone looked into the new 2700? Seemingly it could be the ideal basic unit?