Ketchum/Sun Valley Vacation Suggestions

My wife and I area headed to Ketchum and the surrounding area for a week vacation the last week of June. I have hunted near this area for a week twice but stayed in the field basically the whole time so my experience in town is limited. Plan is to spend 4 nights camping, hiking, exploring, and 2 nights in a hotel to check out the town. Would really like to do some fly fishing but seems rough with really high flows due to all the snow and tips would be appreciated. Hot spring? I know they are around but maybe the stream flows will be too high. any hiking suggestions would also be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry O

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
What kind of hotel you looking for? Room service or just nice clean and economical? For hot springs there is Frenchmans bend. It could be muddy.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

IdahoElk

WKR
There are spring creeks to fish,the main rivers will still be too high to fish.Frenchmans will probably be a no go,maybe check out the one at Russian John camp area.There will be plenty of areas to hike and the high mountain lakes should be open to give you fishing opportunities.

OP
Arbutusbucks
Thanks guys from the fishing report it looks like silver creek is fishable. I did look at frenchmans bend as well. Thanks for the input. The wife is taking care of the hotel so that's on her. I have driven up the "east fork" of the salmon? Not sure if that's right but looked like beautiful river, prob too high. I have also driven trail creek road, looks like that's closed. i am sure it will still be great. Maybe I'll hit some alpine lakes.

IdahoElk

WKR
There are high mountain lake you can access off the East Fork Drainage that have good fishing,you can hit Baker,Norton lakes near town.Silver Creek will be fishing good,also try Billingsley Creek near Hagerman,check out Thousand Springs while you're there.Trail Creek road has major damage from avalanches and will be closed for a while.
Bring/rent Mountain bikes and get dropped off near Galena and ride the trail back to the SNRA,that's a fun day.Take the gondola to the top of Baldy and hike the trail down.Tons of things to do!

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy owns a sports rental shop on Sun Valley road in ketchum if you need to rent go to him he is a local.

OP
Arbutusbucks
Yeah I'm going to have to rent everything as we are flying. I'm a pretty big mountain biker so I was planning on renting a bike and doing a 20-30 mile loop somewhere. That's the thing there is so much to do and see I want to take advantage of the time we have. Once again thank you.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
Would love to live in Ketchum. Enjoy!!!

I love the area, but man are there some goofy people there. Some tremendously good and decent folks as well, but just a higher concentration of nuts than I can tolerate.

OP
Arbutusbucks
I love the area, but man are there some goofy people there. Some tremendously good and decent folks as well, but just a higher concentration of nuts than I can tolerate.

I've never really been in town, just long enough to grab a burger.

Rob T

FNG
I think Silver Creek is going to be the only game in town with this year's monster snowpack. Check at the local fly shops for the latest information on hatches.

The fishing should be good.

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
Little wood river south of Silver Creek in the desert, Magic below the dam and Ritchfield Canal all hold monster browns and Rainbows as well.