Keto help

bowkill02

Lil-Rokslider
For the last 6 weeks I've vee trying he keto diet. Or at least my vesion. High fats low carbs medium meats. My macros are consistently 75,20,5. With my daily exercise that I record with my fitness pal I am under my 1780cal alottment everyday by at least 300 cal. Al ll my fat are supposed to be good fats like avacado, coconut oil and eggs and all my carbs are derived from vegetables. It's been 6 weeks and I've only lost 10lbs.
I feel I've been workig real hard with watching my foods and keeping active all the time and only having lost 10lbs has me kind of discouraged. Are my expectations to high? I haven't even given myself a single cheat day yet!. Do you more experienced guys have any suggestions or questions you can ask me that maybe I haven't already asked myself.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

renagde

WKR
Do you have any idea what your starting body fat % was? I did keto for 6 weeks and only lost 12lb. I started around 20% body fat (estimate) so I didn't have alot to lose to begin with. Dropping weight at a low fat percentage takes alot of time. Also, have you read up on gluconeogenesis? It's when your protein intake is to high and your body converts protein into carbs. Have you used Keto test strips to make sure that you actually are staying in ketosis?

OP
bowkill02

bowkill02

Lil-Rokslider
I do not know my original body fat. My bmi was around 30. I. 6'0" 218lbs now. 6 weeks ago I was 228-230lb. I never baught test strips because I heard from a local that they didn't really work and were a waste of money. Was that the wrong idea?. My thinking on protein was as long as I kept it under 20% of my daily calories they wouldn't convert to carbs.? Would you recommend test strips, and if so a particular brand?. Side note, often my stomach feels and looks bloated? Does water Intake change anything drastic?

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
Hey O.P.,

It’s tough to say exactly what’s going on, but I can tell you when I started keto I was around 5’10”, 230 lbs. with a horrible diet. I immediately lost about 8 lbs of bloat in the first few days; which is the average reaction.

Be really careful with zero calorie sweeteners which different people’s bodies react differently to. I’d try dropping all sweeteners for a few days (if you haven’t already) to see what happens. I think you’re on the right track with looking into test strips.

You should be losing more weight so I think you’re suspicions are legit. You will get it figured out. Good luck and stick with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
Agreed.

Go into it balls deep. Kicking the sweet tooth is the key. I went way higher on protein and lost a ton of weight.....like 120lbs.

The first month was rough. But after I gave up sweet flavored stuff regardless of how organic or fiber rich it's supposed to be. ...it came off.

In the last 2 months I've been using erythratol (sp) and it stopped my weight loss cold.

*zap*

WKR
Keep it up and in 2-3 months you will be around 200#. If it was e-z peesey everyone would be trim. I eat good foods and started fazing that in around 1/1/19. Gradually eating better foods over the past months, now I am eating very good nutrition. Not on keto but I wanted something I could easily sustain for a long time. Dropped 14# this year and plan on keeping dropping until my body fat % is where I want it. Maintaining it should be no trouble because I am now enjoying the good nutrition foods. Just had a bowl of broccoli with double cheddar sauce...

How are your probiotic levels? I would check into that or start a good probiotic supplement...the good stuff comes to the store in a refrigerated truck and is kept refrigerated at the store. You could also try taking a good fish oil daily since the balance of fatty acids is important....omega 3's are necessary.

Good luck and keep at it because your quality of life increases when your at a good, healthy, and lower body fat %.

1-2lbs a week is excellent progress. The faster you lose the more likely you are to lose lean mass and keep body fat.

FURMAN

WKR
Unless you are way overweight it is very difficult to lose more than an honest 1lb of fat a week. 3500 calories equals a pound. If you are not obese any loss over lbs per week is most likely from water and or muscle. I would focus on 1 lb a week and watch the mirror as well as the scale. It is far too difficult to put on muscle mass to lose it during a "cut". If you only started Keto 6 weeks ago you most likely only hit keto around 4 weeks ago. The first 3-4 lbs were most likely from water losses. That leaves around 6 lbs of most likely fat loss. I would keep your current progress as your weekly goal.

OP
bowkill02

bowkill02

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys I'm going to continue with my diet but I believe I will pay closer attention to the amount of proteins I put in each day. I am going to consider and research intermediate fasting do you guys have any suggestions or experience with that? I will order some keto strips today and see if they work. Please feel free to continue and shoot experiences and advice my way. Everything you guys are providing is greatly we appreciate it

FURMAN

WKR
Just keep in mind that if proteins are too high your body will still produce glucose and you will not be in keto. Your numbers listed in the OP look good. Stick to them. Keto strips do not work. They would show you are in ketosis after a night of binge drinking. I do not recommend fasting. I feel it makes adhering to your diet far more difficult. I do not like to every get "hungry" when cutting wether on keto or not. being hungry leads to over eating. I try to stick to 6 small "meals" a day. I find it much easier to maintain a good portion control and avoid unwanted snacks.

OP
bowkill02

bowkill02

Lil-Rokslider
For a 35yo dude at 220lb with a fairly active lifestyle how much protien do I need.? Is there a way based on age, size, lifestyle to figure out how much is too much. My fitness pal just spits out a percent based off what u imput. But how will I know when too much is too much

FURMAN

WKR
You can use any number of MBR calculators and input your numbers to get MBR and calorie needs.

This is one example. You then just plug your macro % into calories needs to see how many fats, proteins, and carbs. On keto I do not take in any non trace carbs.

*zap*

WKR
You might consider getting a cloth tape and tracking your natural waist and hip measurements...at your bodyweight/height your fat losses will mostly be in that area and if your working out you could be adding lean muscle mass while loosing fat which makes weight only tracking deceptive.

FURMAN

WKR
While I do agree, as I already stated, with using more than just weight to track progress you are not going to put on muscle in a calorie deficit.

OP
bowkill02

bowkill02

Lil-Rokslider
You might consider getting a cloth tape and tracking your natural waist and hip measurements...at your bodyweight/height your fat losses will mostly be in that area and if your working out you could be adding lean muscle mass while loosing fat which makes weight only tracking deceptive.
I have seen that a few of my cloths are starting to fit alittle looser. Just the last week I've had this sense of bloating and i can almost see it I the mirror. Maybe I'm loosing my mind?

*zap*

WKR
I think there are many variables and all those things effect different people differently....tracking weight and hip/waist measurements will give you a good feel for what is going on and I also believe that as our bodies undergo/adapt to dietary changes things fluctuate before they stabilize in one direction. I seem to get stuck at a weight for a week or more and then it seems like I drop a few pounds and stabilize at that again. Like I said earlier I just eat good nutritious food and try to keep my macros at a level that allows me to function/exercise the way I want too. I also believe that broccoli before sleep helps with blocking production of estrogen which I believe is mostly produced while you sleep. But I am not an expert, I only know what has been working for me....and that evolves as time goes on. As long as I am dropping fat and increasing strength I am very happy.

I just wish I had a good inexpensive way to accurately evaluate my body fat % on a regular basis.

It is not easy and that is somewhat obvious because you see very few lean and very strong folks at the gym.

FURMAN

WKR
There are scales that calculate the important metrics. They are not necessarily accurate but they are consistent and will allow tracking progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

*zap*

WKR
Local nutrition store had one of those but it is now closed. I need to look into finding another one in the area.

renagde

WKR
I have seen that a few of my cloths are starting to fit alittle looser. Just the last week I've had this sense of bloating and i can almost see it I the mirror. Maybe I'm loosing my mind?

They're called abs :LOL:

On a serious note, some good advice going on here. I agree with whoever else mentioned it, take measurements. I lost alot of fat in my face. Lost neck fat, slimmed up my entire head. Would never have thought about it without taking pictures. And if you're working out, you're replacing muscle with fat so you probably lost more fat than what you realized.

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
Cutting anything sweet, all dairy, and combining intermittent fasting was the edge for me. Still is.

From all of the research I’ve done - Keto & Intermittent fasting should go together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk